Sign in to follow this  
Fi5kuS

FSX:SE - wow, wow and WOW

My re-installing of FSX does not require placing an order, waiting for snail mail, waiting for a download, or needing to continuously be connected to the internet and it takes way less than 15 minutes.

Indeed, I just mount the backup ISO files to two virtual drives and it's almost done before you start.

Doug

Doug, the major difference is much improved VAS management present in FSX:SE. Aside from that not-so-insignificant factor, pretty much everything else averages out about the same on the same computer...

...all of which is almost purely subjective impression.

The VAS management however is demonstrably proven as fact, not subject to vague impressions. B)

You're right Bill, I probably should have mentioned that - but VAS has never been an issue for me. All my flying is GA and VAS just isn't a problem no matter what the settings.

Douog

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

The only thing that FSX-SE removed for me is the annoyance black flashing area of texture that occurred with the FSX box edition.  That alone is worth the switch for me.  Again performance and behavior is really dependent on particular hw/sw but on my setup under the same scenery etc., FSX-SE is way better. 

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

I love this product so much, I want to stop random people on the street and tell them about it however I dont by the install time argument FSX vs FSX-SE. Unless your running default everything then sure you can be up and running in 15 mins but most of us have a LOT of add ons so whats the advantage of installing off a disc or Steam in 15 mins when it takes 2 days to 2 weeks to install everything else :blink:

ZORAN

The original poster was talking about a gain in performance not how long it takes to reinstall etc.

I would be interested if any of those posting about reinstalles can actually add to the discussion about whether or not there is improved performance on the same PC.  The first few posters felt that there was really no gain in FPS to be had by switching to SE.

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

Performance is not just about FPS, its also about VAS and thats the big hammer IMO because you can have an extra 5 fps but so what if you cant finish the flight. There are quite a few vids on the topic and countless threads. For what its worth I get increased FPS and simply incredible increase in VAS capacity (not VAS limit)

ZORAN

Performance is not just about FPS, its also about VAS and thats the big hammer IMO because you can have an extra 5 fps but so what if you cant finish the flight. There are quite a few vids on the topic and countless threads. For what its worth I get increased FPS and simply incredible increase in VAS capacity (not VAS limit)

OK this is interesting.  I'm not really up on my VAS stuff, I have never had an issue with crashes or freeze up of FSX, can you tell me is this more related to long haul flights with "heavies" as a long flight for me would be two hours say, and then it is a GA type.

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

OK this is interesting.  I'm not really up on my VAS stuff, I have never had an issue with crashes or freeze up of FSX, can you tell me is this more related to long haul flights with "heavies" as a long flight for me would be two hours say, and then it is a GA type.

Yeah thats why you dont get them although even in GA with max sliders in heavy ORBX scenery can certainly trigger an OOM but as you mentioned its generally the heavies and generally longer flights as the sim absorbs stuff over a longer period ( especially photo scenery)

ZORAN

Here's a Backup Tip for faster re-installs of FSX:Steam Edition:

• Download a clean copy of FSX:Steam Edition.
  • Once download is complete, DO NOT RUN IT.
  • Completely close Steam. (Check the tray to make sure it's closed.)
  • Copy the following items out to your safe backup location:
    • FILE - Steam\SteamApps\appmanifest_314160.acf
    • FOLDER - Steam\SteamApps\Common\FSX
  • That's it. You're done!

When you need to reinstall from scratch such as after reloading your operating system, just install Steam as you normally would, make sure Steam is completely closed down, and plonk the file and folders back into their original locations. Bam. Reinstalled. When you start Steam again, you'll see FSX:SE "highlighted" as downloaded and available to run.

Then, when you run FSX:SE for the first time will it create all your needed registry entries and other items. This makes re-installation essentially as quick as copying the 16GB of files.

I've used this rather well known method to back up nearly all of my Steam games. In fact, in the early days of FSX:SE I bounced between Windows 7, Windows 8, dual FSX/FSX:SE and FSX:SE/P3D installations like crazy.  Lots of horsing around, but I only downloaded FSX:Steam Edition once. Even though I've moved back to P3D exclusively, I've got my FSX:SE files sitting in a warm corner of my storage drive ready for me to plonk it back in if I ever need to.

-Greg

Good point, Greg.

Do you also get updates from the server using this method? Steam made several updates and optimizations since the first launch and accordingly changed their installer. If yes, it could be a good idea to save a backup copy of the installer and then to get the updates as soon as you launch the program (which automatically connects you the the Steam server). This would save a lot of time.

I took a fresh download "image" after the last FSX:SE patch update, so I can't speak to the particulars of what happens when they update things...

You wouldn't get the updates in "real time", but your theory is what I'd expect to happen though... just validate the old downloaded files before running and it should pull down and update anything that had changed since the last full download.  You could then copy off a new backup version of the updated game.

all computers are different, your results are just for your pc......i get the opposite.....and Steam games(fsx incl) install fast on my pc with 200 mbs internet  :) 

You bet...strange things these computers. For me, FSX runs like a dream. And P3D runs like a dog. Just the opposite of most folks experience. I'm bolting together a new box now and I'm sure that will present, again, other performance gains/hits depending on the whims of the CyberGods (but it will at least be doing it at 4.5+Ghz.)

Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

Here's a Backup Tip for faster re-installs of FSX:Steam Edition:

Steam has a handy built-in backup and restore feature, I'd suggest using that once it's finished installing instead of manually moving files mid-install. It's located at 'File>Backup & Restore' IIRC.

It's also not unreasonable to assume that maybe, developers will place steam FSX content on steam. It's even possible that incentives will be offered too them to do this, and makes good commercial sence.

It is actually the other way round, Dovetail are offering Developers a very poor deal and then Steam also want a cut.

No wow, wow, wow moment for me with FSX-SE.. Performance is pretty much frame-for-frame identical to my boxed copy, and as I never suffered an OOM this aspect has not impacted me either way... and it still benefits a few tweaks to get the most out of it. I'll likely keep the Steam version, as its probably quicker for me than installing off the disks, although that does not happen often.

As far as I'm concerned, there is nothing to see here.