Sign in to follow this  
Fi5kuS

FSX:SE - wow, wow and WOW

Very informative and detailed, I had some idea of what it was from the other posts but I was just thinking "some sort of optimisation process thingy". But now I actually have a fair idea of how refactoring works, Thanks for posting

Also sorry "the triplet"?

Since you can install FSX Steam to be identical to FSX, ie fsx.cfg file not fsx-se, etc, does that mean addons like Reality-XP GPS can work or do they all still have to be updated by the developers?

How is it possible to install FSX-SE the same way like FSX? Will all path and file names 100% indentical to FSX?

Where can I check that option?

: : : aviation.pero-online.de
Developer of SIMstarter NG P3D & Homecockpit Builder

:Applause:  "Sigh".... So, it is proven that, after hundreds of tests & comparisonsTalking%20Ear%20Off.gif, people spend more time testing & posting results than actually flying :p0503:, & every setup will give differing results. Some better, some worse.

:t0152:

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

I did both with my tests. DX9 does shed VAS, but not as much as DX10 does...on my system.

I use mainly DX10 like you do. The DX10 fixer is the beez-neez!

When you say you get a 200MB drop, from what level are you dropping from? My test was extreme, so the drop was extreme.

If I start up a normal flight, it usually starts with about 2.8-3.2 VAS depending on the weather and where I am. It pretty much stays there for the whole flight until I get to approach where I usually end up around 3.3-3.4MB, or if the scenery is more complex, 3.5-3.6MB.

Well, starting up the Airbus 319 at FlyTampa Copenhagen gives med around 2.8 MB VAS. After departure, it drops to around 2600. I did a short flight to Oslo Gardemoen X yesterday. Landed with 300 MB VAS left. Doesn't sound like much but with these settings, its a victory. The NGX or 777 would probably have eaten up 100 MB more though.

And keep in mind that FTX Norway drains 600 MB VAS in the boxed version (I have thoroughly tested that)

FTX Global + OpenLC + Vector (All settings enabled)

Autogen - Very dense

LOD radius - 5.5

Everything else cranked. I've even ticked the "Enhance overcast conditions" in ASN now.

38.jpg

Brynjar Mauseth 

I think you mean, that's how much used not left.

Yes, of course, sorry. Early morning here at GMT+1  :ph34r:

38.jpg

Brynjar Mauseth 

Well, starting up the Airbus 319 at FlyTampa Copenhagen gives med around 2.8 MB VAS. After departure, it drops to around 2600. I did a short flight to Oslo Gardemoen X yesterday. Landed with 300 MB VAS left. Doesn't sound like much but with these settings, its a victory. The NGX or 777 would probably have eaten up 100 MB more though.

And keep in mind that FTX Norway drains 600 MB VAS in the boxed version (I have thoroughly tested that)

FTX Global + OpenLC + Vector (All settings enabled)

Autogen - Very dense

LOD radius - 5.5

Everything else cranked. I've even ticked the "Enhance overcast conditions" in ASN now.

With those settings and the scenery you're using, I'd call that pretty decent!!  Your drop is not as dramatic I'm sure because you didn't purposefully load VAS up to the brink!!  :)

The fact you are using two enhanced airports and FTX Norway on top of the other FTX products and a bigger LOD...I think you are set!  You could probably tick down the autogen since you fly so high and don't really see it...but if your system can handle it, why not!?!?

Devin Pollock
CYOW

BetaTeamB.png

How is it possible to install FSX-SE the same way like FSX? Will all path and file names 100% indentical to FSX?

Where can I check that option?

When you have side by side install or You removed FSX but didn't clear the registry you will get a FSX-SE config automatically. thats how it worked for me on several installation attempts ...but I could be wrong..Its all a bit confusing

So you cant choose. If you install a virgin FSX steam on a virgin windows system you will get the FSX version of Steam but not all add ons will work even then for example Aerosoft citation Mustang wont work on any version of steam.

As a point of interest I had side by side installed and had a good pick up in VAS and FPS but I had a problem with WIN7 so I formatted everything ( 2x ssd) and new Steam and win 7 and VAS and FPS have improved to a whole new level, especially VAS its rarely over 3000 with the heaviest of add ons.

ZORAN

As Bill pointed out above, "Refactoring is not rewriting," I just want to try and explain as simply as I can the essence of refactoring to the lay man. If your a programmer then look away now

Interesting tutorial. Thanks for that. Does this mean that the streamlining is just in the executable, or is it present in the dynamic link libraries too? I am thinking hypothetically of course!

Edited by n4gix
Snipped out the excessive quote.

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

The VAS comparison, was that using DX9 or DX10 in FSX?

Is there a comparison between FSX DX10 and FSX Steam Edition?

Before I format my hard drive and start over and move to Steam (losing my loved Reality XP GPS) I want to make sure I will see lower VAS usage in Steam Edition than if I switched over to DX10 first.

As Bill pointed out above, "Refactoring is not rewriting," I just want to try and explain as simply as I can the essence of refactoring to the lay man. If your a programmer then look away now

Excellent post DarkStar!!

The VAS comparison, was that using DX9 or DX10 in FSX?

Is there a comparison between FSX DX10 and FSX Steam Edition?

Before I format my hard drive and start over and move to Steam (losing my loved Reality XP GPS) I want to make sure I will see lower VAS usage in Steam Edition than if I switched over to DX10 first.

I haven't noticed lower VAS usage.  I've notice better VAS management.

See my posts here:

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/462873-fsxse-wow-wow-and-wow/?p=3184860

and here:

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/462873-fsxse-wow-wow-and-wow/?p=3185181

Devin Pollock
CYOW

BetaTeamB.png