Sign in to follow this  
paulwilko10

How to predict turbulence with active sky next?

Hiya

I set a flight plan up, add it to asn and get the briefing.

From that briefing, how do I determine if any turbulence is likely?

Or is there another way of finding out?

Thanks

Paul

Good question. What's the situation in real life? Is turbulence something you can predict? Or does it just arrive and smack you upside the head? :BigGrin:   I wait with bated breath. (Well, with interest anyway)

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

I'm sure if your well versed in the black art of weather analysis it's possible. Airlines I'm sure, get this predicted information and when they encounter it on an actual flight its radioed back. down the line by the aircraft in front.

The yellow blotched radar reflections with red nuclei on my ASN injected weather mean turbulence too me. I do find a little wry smile creeping across my face when I put on the fasten seat belt signs for my virtual passengers as I see these reflections lol the number of times the captain has put on the sign and the crew have announced that the captain is expecting some bumpy weather and nothing's happened. Then there was the time dinner was just being served and we hit some major bumpy weather that shook the 747 so much, glasses and 'stuff' were being thrown all over the place in the galley. No seat belt sign or announcement. The fact the stewards went to ther seats and buckled up after first putting the gondolas back I didn't exactly fill me with conficpdence. I guess the turbulence was unexpected. It certainly frightened the living c£&p outta me!!!

The majority of the time the captain is aware of turbulent weather ahead. If that's entirely predicted or radioed back I can't say. Most of the time the signs ding and you buckle up and the turbulence materialises. Ever since the 747 turbulance incident i only unbuckle the belt to go stretch my legs or visit the washroom. Weather is Erm, unpredictable at times.

Check for airmets/sigmets affecting your route. in addition, windy and gusty condtions at departure and/or destination give a hint about the presence of turbulence.

Best way (IMO) is to use 122.05 This gives a live (updating as you fly) briefing including warnings about possible weather hazards (sigmets/airmets/t-storms/wind shear/microbursts) that you  may encounter in your flight path.

Of course, turbulence is not predictable in many cases, but the above will give you info about the most significant ones.

Kostas Terzides

devteam_bannerA.png

Thanks guys

I thought it would of been on there, but maybe that would be un realistic

I'll have a look at the tips mentioned ☺

Thanks again

Paul

The best way is to use an aviation weather site or (what I do) is to use Sky Vector to see the SIGMETs and AIRMETs, You'll find all sorts of aviation weather related warnings and advisories.

Once on the SkyVector site, you'll need to set which layers you'll want active.

You can also use the AVIATION WEATHER CENTER site, or others.

I hope this has helped.

Fly VATSIM!

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

The best way is to use an aviation weather site or (what I do) is to use Sky Vector to see the SIGMETs and AIRMETs, You'll find all sorts of aviation weather related warnings and advisories.

Why not just use ASN to view these?

Jim,

That's a good question.

I find that the aviation weather sites are a little easier to use, a bit more flexible/adjustable, and contain more data that I can switch back and forth to/from.

Also, when it comes to precipitation, ASN's display is limited to a smaller area and it sometimes takes a lot longer to process changing areas. I can see the entire NEXRAD, Satellite, and other information for an entire continent on the aviation weather sites.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

Some years ago at my former airline when I was in the flight plan part of the business, We did have a forecast shear-value indicated from 0-9, I believe. This value was based on various mathematical algorithms from aircraft path as compared with forecast jetstream direction and intensity. This was designed for CAT (Clear Air Turbulence) scenarios not associated with thunderstorms or other well-known turbulence producers (e.g. mountain-wave, mechanical, wake). On balance, I don't think the shear-value had much credibility as it was based on the theoretical, thereby not including a variety of other atmospheric dynamics.

While there are some advanced,  cutting-edge turbulence avoidance tools in development, I believe PIREPS and Weather Radar (except for CAT) are still the order of the day.

Les Parson

Paul,

What is your point here? Of course ASN knows, just like it knows about rain, snow, winds, thermals, pressure, temperatures, dew points, and clouds.

Aside from using some very expensive weather products that the airlines use- for high altitude flight, you can use high level SIGWX Prof charts to get an idea-

http://aviationweather.gov/progchart/high?region=a

The areas bounded in yellow are areas with possible moderate turb (indicated by ^ symbols).

Looking at the winds aloft charts, in my experience anytime a jetstream changes direction significantly, you can expect turbulence going through that area- the key is wind direction/speed shifts. I'm not sure if ASN simulates this turbulence though- as they sometimes happen outside of SIGMET areas.

Brendan R, KDXR PHNL KJFK

Type rated: SF34 / DH8 (Q400) / DC9 717 MD-88/ B767 (CFI/II/MEI/ATP)

Majestic Software Q400 Beta Team / Pilot Consultant / Twitter @violinvelocity

Paul,

What is your point here? Of course ASN knows, just like it knows about rain, snow, winds, thermals, pressure, temperatures, dew points, and clouds.

my point is that if at all possible, I would like the option to go through or avoid turbulence.

If I don't know it's there, I can't do either.

It was only a question, not trying to cause arguments.

Ok there are 4 different sliders for turbulence that you can turn down to zero or lower values and that will give you less or no turbulence.