Sign in to follow this  
Bob4th

Problem with Uninstall/Reinstall

Good evening.  I was attempting to uninstall 777 from my FSX so that I could reinstall a new version.  I received an error message that stated that I had insufficient privileges to uninstall certain files.  This was a surprise to me since on my Windows 8.1 system, I am the administrator and I used "Run as administrator" on the setup program. Any help would be appreciated.

Bob Jones

Do you have FSX SE installed? I believe we had a similar issue not too long ago but I can't remember what the fix was. You can try search through the forums. It was only up to 1 or 2 weeks ago.

I am so angry with PMDG as my 777-200 will longer work as all i get when trying to fly the plane is no wheels and no cockpit display. I had an issue with simulator and i rolled the settings back to an earlier  date to before i first installed the pmdg 777 and once i did i got the problem and i tried to install it and reinstall but now success. PMDG please help i may even have to uninstall my windows 7 and put a fresh copy of windows on just to make my disk copy of pmdg 777 work again. 

You're so angry with PMDG because you screwed up your own system?? Great logic.

Anyways. Firstly, you can sign all your posts with your full name otherwise you will only get angrier and angrier with PMDG when nobody replies.

What FSX version are you running? Boxed or steam?

Still getting the same message.  

Bob, you need to sign EVERY post with your full name. Sorry but that is a PMDG forum rule that must be upheld.

Have you tried running the updated installer without uninstalling the current 777 and using the repair option? This should also update the 777 to the latest version.

Sorry about that, Chris, I'll make sure to do that going forward.

I'm using the boxed version of FSX. No, I haven't tried that yet. I'll run the new installer and use repair and let you know what happens.

Bob Jones

BTW, Chris, do you think that System Mechanic could be causing the problem? I've seen some mixed reviews on it regarding FSX.

Bob Jones

Hi Bob,

Sorry for the nagging and being short. I guess that wasn't a good day for me! Please excuse my bad manners.

System mechanic could potentially have caused this issue. If it's a "registry cleaner", then it could possibly have deleted a registry key required by the uninstaller. The damage here is done though so uninstalling it won't help, however just be wary when using it in future. Don't allow it to automatically clean the registry.

Not a problem, Didn't think you were short at all.

I think what I'll do is uninstall System Mechanic. I don't use it that much any way and this isn't the only problem I have with FSX since using it.  After that, I may just do a clean install of FSX and reload everything else from scratch. We'll see if that works.

Thanks, Chris, and I'll let you know if that does the trick.

Bob Jones

When installing a new version of the PMDG 777, is it necessary to uninstall previous versions or can you simply install over the top of your current installation?