Sign in to follow this  

Tune radio to frequencies like 125.82

Hello,

I want to use my PMDG 777 with Vatsim, but there are a lot of controllers with frequencies ending in 2 or 7. However, I can only tune my radios to the nearest .25, so I can't tune to the correct frequency. An example of this is when I fly to New York, the Centre frequency is 125.82, and I can only tune to 125.825 and that doesn't work. I'm sure it's something simple that I'm missing, but how do I tune to frequencies like those?

125.825, is what you would tune the radio to if told to change to 125.82. The last .005 mhz would not make a difference. I assume it's a sim issue then if that doesn't work.

Alex Dority

As Alex says, FS doesn't report the .005 (indeed, in older versions you had to go in to the settings to select 25KHz spacing and most gauges only displayed COM frequencies to two decimal places). So when you see 125.825 in the COM radio, your pilot client is seeing 125.820 (which technically doesn't exist as a tunable frequency in real life -- at least not with an aircraft radio). I have a feeling (though I may be wrong) that before 8.33KHz spacing became common, the third digit after the decimal point was dropped from radio transmissions, which is possibly why FS doesn't report it. Nowadays,however, because of 8.33KHz spacing, all three digits are enunciated.

This misreporting by FS means that VATSIM controllers have to set .820 in their frequency rather than .825 -- because the pilot client would see you on .820 and the controller on .825 and you wouldn't be able to communicate.

In short -- it should work. If it's not working, there's something else wrong!

Everyone above is correct.  Do other frequencies work?  If not, it's probably an audio issue.  Check your volumes and make sure that the audio control panel is turned on by clicking on the volume knob and mic button for com 1.

Hope this helps!