Sign in to follow this  
spirittoo

Analog CH Product Combat Stick and Throttle Won't Work

I just install XPlane 10 on my 32 bit system and my analog stick and throttle won't work ... I have usb rudder pedals and they work but not the analog ... what is the problem?  They work fine in MSFS 2004.

Same problem with my FSX rig ... the CH Product USB stick and throttle won't work ... just get a response from the rudder pedals ... works fine on FSX.

If your pedals are USB but your stick is an old analog (serial port), you may be in trouble.  If X-Plane can see them, you should be able to go into the Settings->Joystick & Equipment menu and see if the axis are showing up in the calibration slider window.  If not, you may have to find a cable or plug that converts the old serial port of your stick to USB so you can plug it into another USB port.  I have an old Microsoft Sidewinder joystick that only has the old 9-pin serial connector and I use mine with a serial port through a plug converter.  But first check in the menu above to see if XP can see the stick at all.

I know XP can see the analog stick and throttle because it works fine in FS2004, and X Wing.  So the stick works ... it looks like X Plane isn't see it.  The problem with the adapter is I won't have all the controls I have while plugged into the serial port.  I'm shocked the X Plane will only look at USB hook ups.  Seems to me if the OS can use it XPlane should too. 

I did get the USB controls on my other rig to work.  X Plane asked about calibrating and I told it yes, then I was able to see responses on the slides.  When I first installed X Plane on the XP machine it asked about calibrating, but I told it no.  How do I get it to ask me that again?

<_< Well sir ... I found my answer in the online manual ...

Note: X‑Plane can only interface with USB devices. This covers nearly all the controllers manufactured in the last ten years, but if you have a non-USB device, an adapter will be needed to change it to a USB input :huh:

That's bad news ...while I have the adapters to run the analog devices I will have to keep switching back and forth so I will have full function of the stick in FS 2004.  Oh dear -_- :huh: .

My adapter is a simple little short cable (4" long) with a male serial end and a USB end.  Simple change.  I don't know why you wouldn't run your joystick as a USB device on all your computers.  9-pin serial connectors are history.

I don't know why you wouldn't run your joystick as a USB device on all your computers.  9-pin serial connectors are history.

As I mention before ... with the adapter I loose the full function of the combat stick.  And when some thing works well why change it?  Old doesn't mean no good.  At least in my book.  I am very disappointed X Plane did this. -_-   Will I at least be able to assign the buttons in XPlane with the usb adapter? :huh:

I have no idea what "full functions" you think you have lost.  If you go into the Settings menu in XP, you will find that any and all buttons on a USB joystick (or USB adapted analog stick) will show up in the menu and can be assigned to any function in XP you want.  If they don't, then your adapter isn't made correctly.  Your stick should be a 15-pin serial plug with 9 pins being used.  If your serial->USB adapter doesn't have all 9 pins connected or the wrong 9 pins, then it's a problem with your adapter.  It's not an X-Plane problem because if your computer can see the stick, XP can see the buttons as well and if you have full function in FS2004, your computer is seeing all of the stick and XP can as well.  But you have to set it up so XP knows what you want to do with the buttons.  My old Microsoft Sidewinder joystick is an old 9-pin serial cable, and I can use all the buttons on that stick after setting it up in XP.

You have to realize that X-Plane is now a 64-bit program.  It is moving forward, not backward.  There are very few XP pilots who are still using old serial controllers.

When I hooked up my serial stick to the manhattan adapter I lost my point of view function and the ability to cycle through the view around the aircraft.  I will see if I can find what you are talking about and get back.

Some of the view options and descriptions in the list of assignment values are not exactly clear, but they're all there.  They are just different from FSX or FS2004.  It is a very different simulator in terms of user interface, but once you learn to use it, it works better than FS2004.

Note that if you are trying to use a hat switch, each switch position is like a button press and each position has a "button" value you can assign to a view.