Sign in to follow this  
TheNerd

Looking for a good DC9/MD80

Hi!
As the title states, I'm looking for a decent DC9/MD80. I'm looking at getting the Maddog 2010 Pro, but if anyone can provide their thoughts on the Flight1 and CLS MD80s, that would help too. The only thing that worries me is the performance of the Maddog. Is the framerate comparable to the NGX? I'm also looking at the Coolsky DC-9. I assume that you have to navigate using VORs?

Any input helps!

The CLS aircraft is a light product. It is a pretty nice model with a decent looking VC.

MSFS Premium Deluxe Edition; Windows 11 Pro, I9-9900k; Asus Maximus XI Hero; Asus TUF RTX3080TI; 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR4 3600; 2X Samsung 1TB 970EVO; NZXT Kraken X63; Seasonic Prime PX-1000, LG 48" C1 Series OLED, Honeycomb Yoke & TQ, CH Rudder Pedals, Logitech G13 Gamepad 

The Coolsky DC-9 is great, in my opinion. It's a nice change using old school style navigation! Quite a realistic add-on as well, if you prefer to fly with realistic systems and what not. Only downside would be the frames. Not really the best performer there, but it isn't bad. Probably the same as the NGX. The Maddog MD-80 is definitely a great one as well, although the visuals definitely need an update. But, it's a blast to fly as well

-Chris Crawford

-ATP/MEL

- B737 / B777 / B-727 / EMB-145 / LR-JET

You should also be aware that support for the Maddog is virtually nonexistent... check out their forum.

DJ

I absolutely love the Coolsky DC-9. It has a lot of systems depth and it's Flight Center works brilliantly.

Is it done yet? When will it be released? Will it be freeware or payware? How much will it cost? Any updates on the progress? Will it work for Xbox? Can I be a beta tester? How's the performance in VR?

The CLS MD80 doesn't have a proper FMC, does it?  :( Can you make your own flight plans or does it only use FSX's ones? I usually fly on VATSIM, so having a fully functional FMC helps a lot. 

Now I have to decide between the Maddog and the Coolsky. Any suggestions?

The CLS MD80 doesn't have a proper FMC, does it?  :( Can you make your own flight plans or does it only use FSX's ones? I usually fly on VATSIM, so having a fully functional FMC helps a lot. 

Now I have to decide between the Maddog and the Coolsky. Any suggestions?

That's a hard one. The LH Maddog still has features that are unmatched today but the cockpit is a bit dated, and support is done via fellow forum members these days. Don't get me wrong, it is still a top notch sim. It offer weather radar, probably the best jet engine simulation you will find. Plus shared cockpit.

The Coolsky DC9 is a superbly done rendition of a classic aircraft. Graphics are very good and systems are very detailed, but because it is a fully realistic version of the DC9 it does not have an FMC. You can read the in depth features here.. http://forum.avsim.net/page/index.html/_/interviews/coolsky-introduces-the-dc9-classic-r848

Have no idea why they wouldn't continue development on the maddog. Fantastic add-on. Like assume say it just needs a visual update and keep the rest of the original programming the same....minus a few bugs.

Still Flying the original Flight 1's Coolsky Super 80, Updated from the FS9 version work great still, and a blast to fly. No FMC but the Pro model has it.

Ken Heibel

I think I'm gonna get the LH Maddog. Graphics don't matter much to me as long as most of the switches are 3D. I'll probably get the DC-9 at a later time. Does anyone here happen to know if there's a sound pack for the Maddog? I think I've seen a TSS one before, but I'm not so sure if it would work or not.

Thanks for all the help guys!

Lest we forget... the Leonardo Maddog is also shared cockpit capable - and it's works very well.  Flying shared cockpit during a VATSIM event is the most immersive and realistic form of desktop flight sim I've ever experienced.

Agreed, support these days is only from other MD-80 owners, but there are many of us support this fine piece of work. 

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.