Sign in to follow this  
FlyBaby

Performance Advice : CPU for Payware Planes

I have narrowed my performance issue down to my CPU and payware (also default Carenado and glass cockpit planes).

With payware planes, I can only get 14 - 24 fps and stutters no matter what other display & cfg settings / tweaks I use. I also resized Carenado's 2048 HD textures down to 1024 DT3 textures for the SR22 and still got the same 14 - 24 fps.

With default planes, I can easily maintain 30 + FPS and a stutter free flight. With default planes, I can run max settings (including shadows, cloud shadows, 8MSAA , 8 SGSS in NI) and still maintain 30+ about 80% of the time. When flying, I don't actually use cloud shadows or many other high visual settings to give me some headroom for performance in dense areas.

I also get the exact same performance in the scenarios above if I am using a GTX 670 4G or a GTX 970 4G GPU. The difference in performance (FPS & stutters) seems to be related to the type of plane I am flying.

This all makes me believe that my CPU does not handle payware aircraft well. My CPU is an i5 running at 3.3 Ghz stock with a turbo boost up 3.7 Ghz.

Can anyone recommend a good CPU (does P3D make use of 4+ core CPUs) that you “know” can run smooth with payware planes like Carenado? Right now, P3D runs very smooth with default planes; however, I would like to add payware to the experience without tanking my FPS and introducing stutters.

Guest JustanotherPilot

I installed the i7-4790K on my latest rebuild (up from the i7-2600) I'm getting a solid 30fps with textures at 4096 on FSX and P3d2.4. I'm not overclocking and get the published 4.0ghz. (some are getting 5.0ghz with liquid cooling or 4.7 with air) Yes P3d  makes use of all cores

I use I5 3570K overclocking 4.5 GHz.

Have 30 FPS set to be always achieved, but short stutters regularly ?

i7-10700k 5,1 GHz - 18 GB RAM - ASUS 1080Ti  - Dell G-Sync Monitor

The key to fps is CPU speed... so a 4.0 GHz CPU will beat a 3.5 GHz CPU...

Having said that, some payware planes are FPS hogs, and the Carenado G1000 is about as bad as it gets  :wacko:

More cores will get you better texture loading, but for fps, overclocking your CPU is the way to go.

Yes P3d  makes use of all cores

For texture loading, like FSX..

Bert

What's your FPS without virtual cockpit for both default and payware airplane?

Pretty much the same...14 -24 for payware; 30+ for default.

I installed the i7-4790K on my latest rebuild (up from the i7-2600) I'm getting a solid 30fps with textures at 4096 on FSX and P3d2.4. I'm not overclocking and get the published 4.0ghz. (some are getting 5.0ghz with liquid cooling or 4.7 with air) Yes P3d  makes use of all cores

Thanks, I am assuming that you get this performance with payware planes (like Carenado).

Why not overclock your current cpu?

I run a i5 2500K @4GHz (used to be 4.4)

It's quite a difference over stock frequency

If you're absolutely against OCing the best cpu for sheer speed is the 4790K, socket 1150,

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

The key to fps is CPU speed... so a 4.0 GHz CPU will beat a 3.5 GHz CPU...

Having said that, some payware planes are FPS hogs, and the Carenado G1000 is about as bad as it gets  :wacko:

More cores will get you better texture loading, but for fps, overclocking your CPU is the way to go.

For texture loading, like FSX..

Thanks...hopefully I can get things running smooth with the Carenado sr22.

Why not overclock your current cpu?

I run a i5 2500K @4GHz (used to be 4.4)

It's quite a difference over stock frequency

If you're absolutely against OCing the best cpu for sheer speed is the 4790K, socket 1150,

I wasn't sure about damaging the CPU...getting into additional cooling etc. I will look into the CPU you suggested.

Thanks...hopefully I can get things running smooth with the Carenado sr22.

I was never able to, and retired that aircraft - permanently..

Bert

I was never able to, and retired that aircraft - permanently..

I may do the same...it is actually the only plane I am interested in because I want to get my pilot's license in the Cirrus sr20; and I wanted something in the sim as close to it as possible.

The Eaglesoft would be the best version IMHO - best FDE

I know it's dated but still a great aircraft. Is the 20 you're going to be flying the Perspective?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

The Eaglesoft would be the best version IMHO - best FDE

I know it's dated but still a great aircraft. Is the 20 you're going to be flying the Perspective?

Yes, the sr20 will be perspective. I dont mind simming with the avidyne system; I do this with the X-plane version. However, the eaglesoft version also cripples P3D.

I am now more and more convinced that P3D does not do well with more complicated aircraft (glass cockpits, etc), I have a modest system that can run "smooth" with pretty high settings (and FTX Global, Vector REX) with default aircraft. However, complicated aircraft hinder P3d.

My concern is that we simmers are out here upgrading and tweaking, when the problem really needs the attention of payware ac devs and LM to figure why P3D struggles to run complicated aircraft...it is beyond graphics and loading textures.

I agree - the default 737 from FSX provides an FPS of 50->70 with Volumetric fog, Building Storms, cloud shadows, and other medium settings on a 4.2 GHz PC. It certainly doesn't match the detail level in terms of polygons of the front panel of the 777 and it does have somewhat simpler EFIS graphics (no FMS). I think that the complex computational system logic and math equations should be run on a CPU core different from the main thread (like FlightOneGTN750). Also, the more complicated addon aircraft virtual cockpit graphics should be detail level settable so as to be able to get at least 25 FPS. Otherwise, we will start getting aircraft models that oscillate due to insufficient sampling rates for the FlyByWire and Autopilot systems.

PC=9700K@5Ghz+RTX2070  VR=HP Reverb|   Software = Windows 10 | Flight SIms = P3D, CAP2, DCS World, IL-2,  Aerofly FS2

Hard to understand how you guys with fast desktop processors only getting 25fps.

I have a 4700 mobile processor and I get 20-23fps with PMDG 777. 20fps if it's a complex airport.

4700 4 cores runs at 2.4ghz normally but turbo to 3.4 1 core or 3.2 all cores.

I thought about getting a desktop but I guess I'm not missing much by being mobile..