Sign in to follow this  
hornet65

No Active Route on FMC Right After Take Off

Hi,

I created an overseas route from KEWR to EDDF in route finder. Route Finder give me a GPS direct route via NATS.  I then loaded this route into Sim Routes and created a RT2 File as a company route.  I named the Route:  KEWREDDF001.  I loaded the company route into the FMC, and it loaded rigth away;  the GPS route and distance was duly noted in my navigation display.  Everything seems peachy.

As soon as I take off and engage the autopilot L-CMD  then hit the LNAV switch, an FMC message pops up.  When I look at the FMC, "No Active Route" Message shows up at the bottom, and my programmed route is gone.  What happened?  I'm a bit confused.  Is this an issue with a GPS route?

Comments are appreciated

Yes, I did. Everthing looks fine..thenI continue on to the Perf Init, Thust limit, and takeoff pages without any problems.  I don't have any issues with the flight plan dropping out when loading a flight plan for overland routes....These routes work fine

As soon as I take off and engage the autopilot L-CMD then hit the LNAV switch, an FMC message pops up. When I look at the FMC, "No Active Route" Message shows up at the bottom, and my programmed route is gone.

Hi, Hornet65,

You can arm LNAV (and VNAV) before takeoff.  If something is wrong you should get the "No Active Route" message then, and have more time to figure out why you are getting that message.

PMDG wants you to sign your full name in its forums.

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

Thank you Mike,

I'll give that a shot.  Though, if the message "no active route" comes up after arming the LNAV, will the FMC allow me to reprogram and execute the flight plan again after pushing back from the gate....during taxi or on the runway?

Also, is there a better "free" site to create flight plans and save as both a RT2 and a FSX PLN file ( I've created mirror routes on overland routes in both RT2 and PLN files.  This way I can load the PLN though FSX, then load the RT2 into to FMC. This allows me to interact with FSX's ATC functions. With the mirror courses, they agree and FSX won't tell me I'm off course)

Getting back to my question about a better "free" flight plan resource, Sim Routes is spotty at best...often I'll need to make several attempts before a plan will save.  All I want to do at this point is enter a departure and destination airport and get a flight plan.  I'm spending my time getting used to the 747-400 and its systems, and I'm  not looking to spend a ton of time creating flight plans with some of the payware programs out there.  Some of these resources are quite involved.

Thanks again,

Hornet 65

After you have entered your compny route, check both the RTE and LEGS pages to see if they make sense. No disco's for example.

You can ammend the route at any time.

He meant sign your post with your full name, not a forum/username.

Peter Schluter

Thanks For the comments.  I think I'm beginning to understand what the issue is.  Route Finder gave me a GPS route with a Departure and Destination input only.  In my legs page I only see the depature and destination.  So, It looks like the flight plan drops out as it does not really exist as far as the FMC is concerned.  I'm not sure if my PMDG 747-400 is GPS compatible....so perhaps this is the problem.

It would be nice if PMDG would allow FSX PLN routes....and use them.  I realize this isn't as sofisicated as some of the 3rd party payware navigation software progams out there...but right now I'm more interested in learning the 747-400 systems.

Any suggestions as to a more user friendly "free" navigation utility?

Thanks,

Tom Schneider

PS...I think I successfully saved a signature in my profile..but just in case, I signed it above...sorry for not following protocol.

In my legs page I only see the depature and destination.  So, It looks like the flight plan drops out as it does not really exist as far as the FMC is concerned.  I'm not sure if my PMDG 747-400 is GPS compatible....so perhaps this is the problem.

well, it sounds like you maybe just don't have the flight plan saved in the right folder, or maybe you are generating an empty plan to begin with? what exactly were the waypoints you were trying to use? maybe they were of a different airac cycle or something (although nat routes usually have a few generic lat/lon points in the middle that should load....)

will the FMC allow me to reprogram and execute the flight plan again after pushing back from the gate....during taxi or on the runway?

you can reprogam the fmc at any time pretty much, in fact it is quite normal if you aren't sure which runway/star to expect on arrival for example.

maybe have a look at simbrief.com ... for popular routes you can see ones people used recently and just use those, might be enough for what you are trying to do. it still needs to be configured (like simroutes) to put the plan in the right spot, etc. 

anyway good luck

cheers

-andy crosby

Instead of using a flightplanner, you can go to Flightaware.com.  It has thousands of RW flight plans, focusing on the U.S. and several other major areas, and includes many long haul plans.  You can just enter them directly on the Route page.

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

Thank you Mike and Andy for your suggestions.  Mike, Flightaware seems like a utility for actual line pilots and not for flight simulator hobbyists.  Correct me if I'm wrong.....I was somewhat intimidated by the site....other than plugging in an actual airline and flight in real time. I didn't immediately see a section where RW flightplans were available for download for flight simulators. 

Andy, I did create a user account at  Simbrief. After entering a departure and desitnation airport ( in this case KEWR -EDDF)  I was given the 5 most recent flightplans.  The most recent was entered into the route box.  When I pressed the analyse button three errors  came up stating invalid endpoints or  airay/fix not found.  What do I do to correct these errors to ensure route contiuity?  Once these issues are corrected and I save the flightplan, does it save it as a PMDG RTE file?  And can I enter it as a company route so that I don't need to enter each waypoint manually?   I'd really prefer to enter the flight plan file name in the company route selector, and have the waypoints automatically load the flight plan.

Also I notice that the Airac availalbe is the oldest one on the Airac list.  The newer airacs need to be purchased at Navigraph to unlock them.  It looks like there's a different download for each addon such as PMDG, Captain Sim..etc at Navigraph.   What is the funciton of this download for a given addon?

This more sofisticated flight plan generating software is all new to me, so I'm not quite understanding how the various products (ie Simbrief, Navigraph, etc work with each other).  I looked at the Simbrief Youtube tutorial video but it wasn't very intuitive.  My brain is just beginning to evolve from the simplicity of the FSX route generation uitility. 

PS...I'm still flying "lone wolf" though the base FSX  ATC.  With PMDG I have created some routes (trhough route finder and sim routes) and saved as PMDG RTE files and FSX PLN routes.  I've loaded the FSX route throught he FSX route utility, then load the "mirror" PMDG route in the FMC.  My last question here is:  Are Navigraph, Simbrief, and Flightaware designed for use with a virtual online ATC Service?

Thanks again for your comments and support. 

Thank you Mike and Andy for your suggestions. Mike, Flightaware seems like a utility for actual line pilots and not for flight simulator hobbyists. Correct me if I'm wrong.....I was somewhat intimidated by the site....other than plugging in an actual airline and flight in real time. I didn't immediately see a section where RW flightplans were available for download for flight simulators.

Hi, Tom,

Flightaware doesn't have flight plans for direct download, but it does give the flight plans for thousands of real world flights.  Just enter the departure and destination airports and you will see many flights.  Most of them have flight plans in the box at the right.  I was just suggesting that you copy one manually directly into the CDU (screen giving access to the FMC) route page, entering the individual waypoints and airways.  Often they have SIDs (departure procedures) and STARS (arrival procedures) as well.  These need to be entered on the DEP/ARR pages in the CDU.  This would give you a better sense of the components of a flight plan.

This more sofisticated flight plan generating software is all new to me, so I'm not quite understanding how the various products (ie Simbrief, Navigraph, etc work with each other).

I'm not familiar w/ SimBrief, although at a brief glance it looks to be very useful.  FSX's database is six or seven years old, so to obtain current navigation data you need to use a service like Navigraph.  If you tried to enter a current flight plan from Flightaware or another up-to-date source, using FSX's flight planner, you would find many waypoints not available.  FSX's approaches are very limited as well as being outdated.  Fortunately, when you save a PMDG or other advanced addon's flight plan in FSX format, it will work pretty well (except FSX's ATC doesn't handle approaches well at all).

Most addon makers have their own data format; PMDG has one, Level D 767 has another, Aerosoft A320 has yet another, etc.  So each of these needs to have its own update file format from Navigraph.  Flight planning software programs, including SimBrief, also each have their own.  Navigraph has many formats available, and only charges one rather modest fee per Airac cycle for as many formats as you want.

Hope this helps!

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

Tom, I think you would benefit a lot by actually inputting a flight plan directly in the FMC yourself. You will then understand better what makes up the different elements. Start with a shorter route than a transatlantic one.

You can use rouefinder to plan your route, then use the RTE page to input the airways and waypoints. At the bottom of the routefinder page, you will find the entries needed. By using airways and wayoints you do not need to enter every single waypoint, but they will appear in the legs page.

Peter Schluter

Fortunately, when you save a PMDG or other advanced addon's flight plan in FSX format, it will work pretty well (except FSX's ATC doesn't handle approaches well at all).

Hi Mike,

I wasn't aware that I could save a PMDG RTE file as a FSX PLN file. Do I simply copy the PMDG RTE File from the Flightplan Folder over to the FSX Route folder and change the file type? Or do I need to do somehting else. 

Most addon makers have their own data format; PMDG has one, Level D 767 has another, Aerosoft A320 has yet another, etc. So each of these needs to have its own update file format from Navigraph. Flight planning software programs, including SimBrief, also each have their own. Navigraph has many formats available, and only charges one rather modest fee per Airac cycle for as many formats as you want.

This makes sense. And I agree the the price to purchase an Airac (or a group) is fairly nominal and reasonable. Once I purhcase and download the resepctive format file, what does this give me in terms of creating / saving a flight plan?  I will have the most current routes and waypoints, obviously.  Will this eliminate any route discontinuity issues?  I suppose I do need to learn to manually load a flight plan on the legs page of the FMC.  But it is so bloddy easy just to enter a flight plan in the company route field, enter the departure and arrival details then push the execute button.  I do have a solid understanding of how the FMC works ( I've deleted legs and updated a flight plan for instance in flight).  I guess I need to be willing to do the more mundane tasks as well as the fun stuff

Thanks again for your help

Tom, I think you would benefit a lot by actually inputting a flight plan directly in the FMC yourself. You will then understand better what makes up the different elements. Start with a shorter route than a transatlantic one.

You can use rouefinder to plan your route, then use the RTE page to input the airways and waypoints. At the bottom of the routefinder page, you will find the entries needed. By using airways and wayoints you do not need to enter every single waypoint, but they will appear in the legs page.

Hi Peter,

I would agree with you that I would benefit from manually entering a flight plan into the legs page.  I'll need some form of tutorial to be sure I'm entering the data correctly (or is this fairly intuitive and simple).  As I posted to Mike, I guess I need to be willing to do the more mundane tasks as well as doing the fun stuff like flying and managing the aircraft.  But it is so bloody easy to enter a flight plan into the company route field, enter the departure and arrival details than push the execute buttion! LOL  PS...I find with Routefinder that transatlantic routes are not happening. I keep getting error messages.  Suggestions?

Thanks again for your Input. You guys have been great with your comments

The 747 manual as an extensive section on how to enter a route. You enter using the RTE page not the LEGS page.

When using routefinder for transatlantic you need to enable NATS in the dropdown box.

Peter Schluter

When using routefinder for transatlantic you need to enable NATS in the dropdown box.

Hi Peter,

I did enable the NATS tab. This is what I get.....(also, I unchecked the SID STAR RNAV  and TACAN tabs as well)

RouteFinder

Route generator for PC flight simulation use - NOT FOR REAL WORLD NAVIGATION

©2005-2007 ASA srl - Italy

NAT: Eastbound track message identification is 59

NAT: Westbound track message identification is 59

Couldn't find a routing between JOHN F KENNEDY INTL (KJFK, KJ) and FRANKFURT MAIN (EDDF, ED) at FL331 - FL390.

Possible causes:

• The system may have failed to find a suitable transition to/from enroute.
  • No airways are linking the departing and arriving places at that altitude range

You may try to:

• Select a different cruising altitude range
  • Disable SID and/or STAR (the SID/STAR database is not guaranteed to be up-to-date yet)
  • Consult SID charts for departure aerodrome and enter as 'starting fix' the identification if the last fix of a SID procedure
  • Consult STAR charts for the arrival aerodrome and enter as 'ending fix' the identification of the first fix of a STAR procedure

PS....I read through the FMC chapter. It is quite extensive. I'll need to go though it a few times....mostly where entering the route is concerned.  Otherwise, I'm famliar with entering everything else from Pos Init, Route page (entering company route), Dep/Arr, sid/stars etc.  Just need to get my head around entering a flight plan correctly with airways, waypoints,  etc.  I believe I read that you can save a manually entered flight plan in the FMC for future use...though I don't recall seeing an explanation on how to do that.

Again, thanks a ton!