Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MarkDH

Build your own GPS and Autopilot panels

Those who followed my Twin Otter cockpit build may be interested to know that I have designed two generic panels using the same methods and I have written a detailed guide about how to do it. Because the most challenging part of the build is to cut the acrylic (Perspex) panels I have had some of these manufactured professionally and you can buy them from me if you want a quick-start build. If you want to completely D.I.Y. from the ground up you can buy the guide on its own in the Kindle store for the miserly sum of £1.48 ($2.25).

The price of a quick-start kit for either the GPS+ panel or the Autopilot+ panel is £25 plus shipping. Shipping costs £3.70 to the UK mainland and £12.95 worldwide (with some exceptions - please ask) and the shipping price will cover one or two panels. UK orders are shipped 1st Class, international orders via Royal Mail International Tracked and Signed, which has a 5-7 working day delivery target.

A quick-start kit comprises two laser-cut acrylic sheets (front and rear), with the construction manual supplied by email. You can download the graphics templates and LINDA library from the Almost Aviation support forum. The manual is essentially the Kindle eBook without the sections on cutting and drilling the acrylics. It contains a complete component list with links to suggested suppliers and specification sheets, as well as detailed instructions about how to wire up the panels and make them work in FSX.

Here are some videos introducing the panels, or you can click the banner in my sig to find out more.

Video intro to the GPS panel
Video intro to the autopilot panel
Video about the software setup

I'm not selling fully-built panels, so I should say that building one of these will require that you have a bit of 'hobbyist' streak. You will need a registered FSUIPC but you won't require any programming skills or hardcore tinkering to set one of these up. I will be happy to answer any questions, either here or over in the support forum.

2b2925.th.jpg

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.
  • Donation Goals

AVSIM's 2020 Fundraising Goal

Donate to our annual general fundraising goal. This donation keeps our doors open and providing you service 24 x 7 x 365. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. We reset this goal every new year for the following year's goal.

34%
    $8,660.00 of $25,000.00 Donate Now