Sign in to follow this  
BAW277

Oil pressure at low temperatures

Hi all,

just out of curiousity: I recently saw a video starting a CFM-engine in an airbus during outside temperatures in -10° C or less. The oil pressure rose significantly until the oil warmed up and became more fluid so did no longer create this overpressure.

Since I see so many exciting indications on the T7 during engine start (VIB high at low rpm for example) I was wondering if there is some system in these very engines to avoid this overpressure or if this is a shortcoming of FSX.

If I recall correctly, if you start an engine in one of A2A's airplanes at low temperatures you also have to wait till the oil pressure drops from increasing oil temperature.

You see, this airplane is so shining that such a minor thing appers to be incorrect, even if it might be not!

Best all

Holger Kneib

The oil used is created to run with a working range of -40 so the lubrication pump will handle the thicker oil no problem probably will indicate a higher pressure than when its at running temperature. the pump does have bypass check valve for the filter if there's say a blockage etc, but thick oil would never get anywhere near that pressure :)

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

AME GE90, GP7200 CFM56 

When connected to ground power and air at the gate do they not have equipment/systems to keep the engines warm enough? Obviously -10C is warm enough to start from but what if it's much colder?

USAF tests it's aircraft and systems in the coldest place in North America:  Ft Walton Beach FL. Yup, there is a big hanger at Eglin AFB that can get down to -60C with four B747 engines running. Very impressive.  Boeing will lease the facility for tests as well as others.  I've never seen ground equipment used to warm turbine engines,  old recip's yes but not turbines.

Dan Downs KCRP

They will start even when its much colder! You would be suprised ^_^

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

AME GE90, GP7200 CFM56