Sign in to follow this  
FSXDan

Moving FSX to SSD..

Hey everyone!

I've read many forum posts and just want to get the best up to date procedure of moving my FSX and P3D folders to my SSD.

I just bought a 512 GB Samsung Pro 850 SSD, and I want to transfer FSX from my 1TB HDD to get a bit of quicker load times. Since I have the SSD anyways, I

want to make the transfer.

What is my best bet...doing a MKLINK? because I have so many addons, it would be really tricky in my opinion to uninstall everything (a lot of stuff for p3d, a lot for fsx, not sure which are which sometimes in the uninstall list)...anywho, I think registry errors up the yahoo would occur.

I am thinking maybe a MKLINK thats required. I have seen instructions on this forum saying use mklink /d and others saying mklink /j. What is the best situation for me to take in this predicament.

Thank you again for all your help :)

Daniel Maris

This is an automatic message.

This topic has been moved from "The Microsoft Flight Forum" to "MS FSX Forum". This move has been done for a number of possible reasons.

• The most likely reason is that the post was off topic.
  • The topic could also have contained images or a video that were not appropriate to the original forum it was posted in.
  • The images might not have been "illustrative" or "explanatory" in nature.
  • The topic could have been moved because we deemed it to be more appropriately placed elsewhere.
Please ensure that your posts are "on topic" and contain illustrative images or videos as appropriate. Do not post videos or images just for entertainment purposes anywhere but in the screen shot or video forums. See our image posting rules here.

Members who continue to post off topic posts can be denied entry to specific forums in order to reduce and remove the practice. Your cooperation is appreciated.

I prefer the freeware junction link magic.  It has a nice GUI and is pretty fool-proof.

scott s.

If FSx is already on its own drive, simply copy FSX folder to new drive , rename the new drive the same as the old so path is the same and all is well. If FSX is oc C drive, you can move FSX folder to new drive. Use the path fix tool to point to new drive, but you will need to manually fix some addon paths but its quicker than reinstalling everything. DOne it plenty of times.

The simplest solution really is to just copy FSX over to the new drive, delete the old copy, open command prompt as an Administrator, and run the mklink command. The difference between /d and /j only really seems to matter in the case of server PCs from what I was reading during a quick Google search. I've always just used /j and had no issues whatsoever.

mklink /j <path to original, deleted FSX folder> <path to where FSX is now>

Example of moving FSX from C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\ to G:\FSX:

mklink /j "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X" G:\FSX

Always remember to put quotes (" ") around your paths if they have spaces in them.

Brandon Filer

I had FSX on my C drive, so when I got an SSD, I simply used Acronis to clone the drive onto the SSD, then renamed the SSD as the C drive and the old C drive became my G drive.

IAN

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

Excellent info.... Thanks EVERYONE!!!

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.