Sign in to follow this  
zachlog

ATC Warnings Conflict with Aircraft Flight Level

I have been using RC for several years and today I came across something I never encountered in the past.  The ATC warnings to other aircraft near my position, did not match the aircraft's flight level.  My aircraft (PMDG-737NGX) was at FL340 but it was being reported as FL350 to other aircraft.  I did not receive any ATC busted altitude warnings.  The BARO was set to STD.  The Altitude parameter in Deviations was set to 300 ft.  Is this a known issue or am I doing something wrong ?

Thanks,

Zach

zachlog

If RC did not complain you must have been at the correct FL.

Was it RC audio reporting the incorrect flight level (like during a traffic caution) or was it another app.

Try this:

Download and install Traffic Look from:

http://forum.simflight.com/topic/66136-useful-additional-programs/

That .exe will run in its own window. The first line shows the user aircraft status. Click File, then Airborne Traffic Only.

Have FS set to not pause on task switch.

Start a flight with requested cruise of FL340. With RVSM active that would have to be west bound for even FLs. Set the weather to a clear or fair weather theme so you get a standard surface pressure of 29.92 in Hg/1013 mb throughout your flight. Be sure dynamic weather changes are suppressed in FS. Set your standby altimeter to standard pressure as well when at flight levels if it does not change with the standard button.

When you get to FL340 alt-tab to Traffic Look and see what altitude is reported for the user aircraft. It should be around 34,000 feet reported by Traffic Look which shows you how FSUIPC reads your altitude and other apps should get that altitude as reported if they use FSUIPC..

BTW: I do not know if FS sets ai to follow RVSM rules. Ai flight plans have a cruise level set in them but that may not be influenced by RVSM not East/West separation rules unless imposed by FS.

If RC did not complain you must have been at the correct FL.

Was it RC audio reporting the incorrect flight level (like during a traffic caution) or was it another app.

Try this:

Download and install Traffic Look from:

http://forum.simflight.com/topic/66136-useful-additional-programs/

That .exe will run in its own window. The first line shows the user aircraft status. Click File, then Airborne Traffic Only.

Have FS set to not pause on task switch.

Start a flight with requested cruise of FL340. With RVSM active that would have to be west bound for even FLs. Set the weather to a clear or fair weather theme so you get a standard surface pressure of 29.92 in Hg/1013 mb throughout your flight. Be sure dynamic weather changes are suppressed in FS. Set your standby altimeter to standard pressure as well when at flight levels if it does not change with the standard button.

When you get to FL340 alt-tab to Traffic Look and see what altitude is reported for the user aircraft. It should be around 34,000 feet reported by Traffic Look which shows you how FSUIPC reads your altitude and other apps should get that altitude as reported if they use FSUIPC..

BTW: I do not know if FS sets ai to follow RVSM rules. Ai flight plans have a cruise level set in them but that may not be influenced by RVSM not East/West separation rules unless imposed by FS.

Ron,

Yes, it was RC audio reporting the incorrect flight level in multiple traffic cautions.

Yesterday I saved the flight (for reasons unrelated to this post) and restarted it today. After restarting the flight, I changed to the more optimum FL360 from FL340 (per the FMC) and the first RC audio traffic caution had the correct FL360.  This might have been a temporary condition.  If I come across it again I will do as you suggest.

Thanks again,

Zach

zachlog