Sign in to follow this  
marcus300zx

Flying my New Avro RJ85

Hi All,

So after bugging everyone on here as to which Small Commercial Plane to buy I ended up opting for the BAE146/Avro Series.

Spent the first Hour or so trying to find one with Airstairs as my main Home Hub is Bristol EGGD which has no Jetways (Well it didn't until I installed UK2000 Bristol LOL).  Wanted the RJ70 but opted for the QW Livery RJ85 as it had the required Airstairs.

Flew my first flight Blind without reading any instructions and although it was messy I did manage to Takeoff-Cruise and Land without killing too many passengers.

Read some instructions and had a few more flights and really started to enjoy my new plane.  Really likes the sounds and found found it pretty easy to fly.  The real icing on the cake to make my day was when I was flying back to land at Bristol and 2 lights came on in the cockpit "ILS CATIII & Autoland" and then the plane landed itself with Autoflare too (I'm rubbish at Flaring)

Flew about 10 flights using VFR and Default Microsoft Flight Planner (HGD (Takeoff)-GPS (once Cruising) and (back to HDG for Descent)not touching the FMC, found everything good apart from my climb which seemed to stall frequently (Still haven't quite worked that one out)

Next I thought I would have ago at the FMC and spent the rest of the weekend trying to get a grips with that.  Cheated a bit as I did my flightplan in the default flightplanner and then imported it to the FMC and made a few adjustments for takeoff.

Got to Grips with flying VNAV and LNAV but back to HDG etc for ILS landings as I confused myself too much trying to work out Stars for FMC Approaches. 

Overall, I am very happy with it.  Need to work out my stall issue on climb, even with VNAV and LNAV on and CBL MAX Selected.  Ohh and look to correct some of the ILS Headings as at Palma de Mallorca my ILS CATIII Autoland, landed me one the grass 10ft to the left of the runway.

Will do,  I know my speed was in the red which made no sense as first full time I had throttle on max and last time I had it all set via FMC Autopilot and Thrust Rating Panel set up.  Just seems to slow at around 1600 ft.

Nice story and write up Marcus, that certainly is a nice add on. I've never had any slow speed or stall issues with this plane, any chance you had too much fuel and/or payload in general?

Cheers,

Pete

I9-13900K, RTX 4090, DR5-6000MHZCORSAIR ICUE H150I ELITE, ASUS PRIME Z790-P, THERMALTAKE TOUGHPOWER GF3 1350W, WIN 11

Are your stalls happening with the autopilot on Marcus?

Assuming they are, and with you saying they happen at about 1600, I'm wondering if you're selecting a vertical mode soon enough after T/O  ?

What you could do is, take-off, and at say 600-1000, engage the AP, and LNAV (or HDG) and then engage FL CH (flight level change), then immediately set the speed (in the speed window), to a 'safe' speed (eg, 160kts) for climb.   Then at 2000 or so, engage your VNAV at which point the aircraft should accelerate to 240 kts (while you clean up the flaps).

Oh one other thing - in this aircraft it's necessary to set the VNAV speed in the FMC.   (This is the speed that the aircraft will accelerate once it reaches 10,000).    If you don't set anything here, it will stay at 240kts for the whole climb (even above 10,000 feet) which is far too steep.      I'd recommend setting 290 kts in the VNAV page of the FMC.   

Good luck!

Didn't have many passengers, but fuel was 100%

That's pretty heavy (and quite unusual for this aircraft) ...... this aircraft runs short legs and will usually have no more than 75% fuel load.

I think 100% fuel for a 300nm trip was a bit overkill, lol.

I was following the instruction in the Quick Start Guide but LIEE to LEPA rather than Bos to Buf in the quick guide and I had MAX TO/GA rather than Reduced TO/GA settings and my V-speeds were based on my own planes Speed Chart.  I did have everything in the FMC set up based on that.  I did turn the AP on about 600, it did not stall but the stall warning was going off along with the sound of my plane falling apart and the speed was in the red.

The times I actually stalled and crashed I think was due to not switching from TOGA to CLB when engaging AP to Climb

Reading this makes me want to jump into mine and do a flight.  I haven't used my Avro for a long time. It's time to get it out and brush off the cobwebs.

I bought this addon from Quality Wings a couple of years ago and enjoyed it for several months, before leaving it in the hangar recently.

Officially Quality Wings does not support FSX Steam nor has a plan to do that. However, I gave a try with the new installer for QW 146 (version 1.4) last weekend and tested in different scenarios. It works like a charm under FSX-SE.

Still a very good aircraft, which for the records I also used a lot as a passenger in real life.

I think 100% fuel for a 300nm trip was a bit overkill, lol.

I was following the instruction in the Quick Start Guide but LIEE to LEPA rather than Bos to Buf in the quick guide and I had MAX TO/GA rather than Reduced TO/GA settings and my V-speeds were based on my own planes Speed Chart.  I did have everything in the FMC set up based on that.  I did turn the AP on about 600, it did not stall but the stall warning was going off along with the sound of my plane falling apart and the speed was in the red.

The times I actually stalled and crashed I think was due to not switching from TOGA to CLB when engaging AP to Climb

But what AP vertical mode are you selecting, when switching on the AP?

You've mentioned ;

I think was due to not switching from TOGA to CLB when engaging AP to Climb

.....but that is not an AP mode - that's a FADEC thrust change mode.   It reduces the thrust but it doesn't control the AP's vertical profile in anyway.     If you stayed in the AP's TOGA mode too long into the climb, you'd almost certainly stall... so sounds like that may well have been the cause.

.....but that is not an AP mode - that's a FADEC thrust change mode. It reduces the thrust but it doesn't control the AP's vertical profile in anyway. If you stayed in the AP's TOGA mode too long into the climb, you'd almost certainly stall... so sounds like that may well have been the cause.

In my earlier flights without the use of FMC:

Get IFR Clearance before taxi and input the alt they gave and then select ALT HOLD.  Just after takeoff I hit the LVL CHNG to climb.

In my later flights with flight plan loaded into FMC

Get IFR Clearance before taxi and input the alt they gave and then select ALT HOLD.  The select LNAV and VNAV

if found the quick start guide pretty usefull. I do have my own quick start guide based on how I fly the craft using an IFR Flight plan in the std FSX flight planner and ILS landing.

PRE TAXI

Check Weather

Open Door & Attach Jetway

Switch on Battery

Click on Red Warning Square to Turn off Warning Beeps

Switch Stanby Inverter and Standby Generators to ARM

Switch Flightdeck Emergency Lights to ARM

Turn on Navigation Lights

Switch on Left Inner Fuel Pump

Move APU Start Switch to Start after 27 sec APU Powe Avalible Light will Turn on

Move APU GEN Switch from Off/Reset to Offline

Check both APU Guages are in the Green (Set knob in middle to APU)

Right Click APU Gen Switch

Switch on Avionics, Antiskid and Lift Spoiler Systems

Move to right Pilot seat for next bit.

Turn the 2 Rotary switches to NAV and wait 10 seconds

Move Back to Pilots Seat

Set Flight Plan and Upload it to FMC

Get IFR Clearance and Check Runway and Altitude

Input Altitude and Heading into Autopilot

Goto INIT REF Page in FMC

Set CLB Speed to 270/.70M

Set CRZ Speed to 270/.70M

Set DES Speed to 270/.70M

Goto Thurst Rating Panel

Select TOGO MAX

Change Knob to Temp and Check Temp is Correct

Change Knob to V1 and input V1 Speed (Its in Magenta on your Primary Flight Display)

Change Knob to V Cross and input you VR Speed (Rotation Speed)

Change Knob to Vdot and Set the VFTO Speed (This is the speed to retract flaps)

Input the V2 Speed into the Autopilot

Switch on Seatbelt sign

Remove Jettaway and Close Door

Request Taxi

Start Pushback

ENGINE START

Switch on Beacon

Switch off APU and Engine Supply Units inc Both Packs

Switch on Engine Anti-Ice

Switch on all 4 Fuel Pumps

Switch Knob to the Engine you want to start

Move Start Master to On

Push Engine Start Button

At 10% N2 Right Click Fuel Cut Off switch on throttle, Engine will fire at 20%

Repeat for other 3 engines

Change GEN 1 and 4 Switches to ON

Switch APU GEN Switch to OFF/RESET

Switch on Screen heat and Pitot Heaters

Turn on Engine Driven Hydraulic Pumps and Power Transfer Unit

Turn BRAKE FANS Switch to AUTO

Swith ON ENG AIR 4

Switch APU ON

Switch on Packs

Taxi for Take off and Switch on Taxi Lights and Lower Flaps to 18

Check Auto Thrust Switch is On

GET TAKE OFF CLEARANCE

Line up on Runway and Apply Park Brake

Select 50% Throttle

Hit TOGO on Auto Pilot

Release Brakes and Take Off

Gear Up

AT 600ft off Ground

Switch on Autopilot, Heading and Alt. Hit LVL CHNG ensure TRP Panel changed to CLB Normal Setting

Retract Flaps before VFTO Speed

When Ligned up with flightplan Engage VNAV and LNAV

Switch on Engine Anti-ICE

Switch on all 4 ENG AIR Switches

Switch off APU Air

Verify both Packs are on

Shut Down APU

Switch off Seatbelt light

DESCENT

5nm from TOD (Top of Descent) Shows TOD on your flight display if MAP selected under FMC

Set Pressure system to Airport Height

Switch on PTU

Follow Descent instructions at 270knots Put on Seat Belt Light * Landing Lights below 10,000

When given Runway Check ILS FREQ and Course using FMC

Input ILS FREQ into NAV1 and NAV2 and Course into Course 1 and Course 2

Select TOGO MAX on TRP

Set Vcross to VREF & VDOT to VFTO

30nm from Airport slow to 250kts

20nm from Airport slow to 210kts

When give fly in instructions Slow to 170kts

Set Flaps 18

Hit VOR/LOC Button - When this goes green on Display hit APP

10nm Set Flaps 24 and Speed to 150kts

7nm Set Flaps 33 speed VREF + 5

If CAT and Autoland light come on just hope ILS lines you up on runway and brake when you land, aircraft will do everything for you.

If No autoland then 500ft turn off Autopilot and Autothrust and land yourself

I get out of memory with QW 146. Starts out real nice then after 5 min...OOM