Sign in to follow this  
Smoky942

What else should be where Shaders folder is kept

I understood that in P3D v2.5  only the Shaders folder is kept at  C:/ Users/ Myname/ AppData/ Local/ Lockheed Martin/ Prepar3D v2.  In mine, as well as the Shaders folder, I have a P3D default.fxml and default.wx files and an effects folder which, if I use the VisualFXTools will contain the last fx file that I opened.  Surely this isn't right.  If I delete them, they are replaced next time I start P3D.

/Russell.

I understood that in P3D v2.5  only the Shaders folder is kept at  C:/ Users/ Myname/ AppData/ Local/ Lockheed Martin/ Prepar3D v2. 

/Russell.

Who informed you of this ?? Why are you trying to outguess LM developers ? Those are default files placed where LM wants them. Why are you deleting them ??

WAT1460.png

Who informed me of this ?  No one.  Trying to out guess LM developers ?  Where did that come from ?   I've used P3D from day one, and have never seen default flight and wx files in that location.  Neither have I ever seen an effects folder in that position, so I asked  to find out if this was a new thing in P3D v2.5 as I know they have altered the file structure some what.  All I wanted was a civil answer to know if that was correct, or a fault on my end, not some high handed nonsense from you.

/Russell.

Sorry Russell but what in the world would make you delete files that you know nothing about? What would make you think that "this is not right?"

Deleting files when you don't know what they do is the best way to destroy your install.

Yes, they are just fine. LM made several folder changes and location changes and that was just ONE of them. Considering the growth of P3D you may find further instances of files in different locations. I suggest you leave them alone unless you know what you are doing.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Thanks for your answer Vic, very much appreciated.    I should have explained better about the deleting.  I didn't delete them as such, I moved them out of P3D so I could put them back if necessary, so as far as P3D was concerned, they were deleted.  The reason being that P3D wouldn't save a flight as default no matter what.  Also VisualFXTool kept loading the last fx file  I'd worked on, instead of the one I WANTED to look at.  I found all the flights in the usual place ... Documents/Prepar3D v2 files.  So when I found a default.fxml and an effects folder with the last fx file I'd used in VisualFXTool in a different location where normally I'd only ever known the Shaders to reside, I moved them to see if that was the problem.  It wasn't, so I asked the question that you kindly answered.  Fact is, I wasn't too bothered if it did diss P3D as I don't have much installed yet, so no big deal for me to totally uninstall-reinstall.  Thanks again for assuring me that the locations are correct.

/Russell.

Who informed you of this ?? Why are you trying to outguess LM developers ? Those are default files placed where LM wants them. Why are you deleting them ??

Before you jump down someones throat you should get your facts straight, this has been recommended by LM developers themselves - several times, in fact only a few days ago one said something on the topic.

http://www.prepar3d.com/forum-5/topic/shaders-folder/

"In some cases changing video card drivers or SLI modes can cause issues with the pre-compiled shaders as well." - Beau

So yes if you've recently updated a video driver or applied a hotfix , it is a good idea to delete the precompiled shaders  - especially in the case of 2.4 where there were numerous fixes to the shaders

Why are you trying to outguess LM developers ?

Sorry This has to be the most hilarious over the top statement I have ever seen on this forum.   

If I delete them, they are replaced next time I start P3D.

Hi Russell,

Yes that is intentional.   LM have restructured a few file locations ... you can read more about it in the Learning center.chm help file.  There should be no reason to remove the Effects folder ... it's the new home for the "working" FX when using VisualFXTool ... what you will want to be aware of is that there seems to be some relationship between the shaders folder and working FX.  

What happened to me when I was making some changes to one of the FX using The VisualFXTool is that everything looked great after my adjustments.  However, I fired up P3D and setup a flight and the FX where being render wrong -- after deleting the shaders folder my adjusted FX then worked fine.  I believe in the past you have to manually keep deleteing the temp FX created by VisualFXTool ... that "shouldn't" be necessary now ... but to be honest the VisualFXTool still seems to have issues ... I understand now why many 3rd party devs go the Attachment route via the model file -- more reliable results.

The Prepar3D_Default.fxml and Prepar3D_Default.wx are LM's (assume they are there so they can be restored and used for default startup flight when an update is issued) ... they are not the same defaults you set via the P3D UI - those are stored in My Documents\Prepar3D v2 files .

Cheers, Rob.

Thanks for that Rob ...especially about  deleting the temp VisualFXTool file.  I've never been too happy with the results I get using the tool, and usually finish up manually adjusting the actual file, then firing up P3D to see the results.  A bit of a long winded method, I know, but I usually get the result I'm after...eventually.

/Russell.