Sign in to follow this  
mars03

DA 42 Twin Star

Good informative (re)views here, for which thanks - but that price......  Pass on this one  :Yawn:

Thanks for your kind words, guys. Just to update you on the progress re: my small list, Alabeo answered the ticket stating that they might consider including 'it' (they don't refer to a special item) in a future patch.

On the pricing level. You have a point. I'd like to see future Alabeo planes coming in a bit cheaper while staying equally impressive on the presentation. Found that this was their strength, their market. As an example, planes like their Extra 300 were spot on and a great fun to fly.

For about $10 more than the Alabeo, you can get the Eaglesoft DA42 with a much better G1000 and great FDE, and the Arezone DA42 HD Soundset to replace the icky default engine sounds...

Eaglesoft DA42 : $34.95 (plus it's Flight1 with a 30-day moneyback guarantee) http://www.eaglesoftdg.com/DiamondDA42.htm

Arezone DA42 HD Soundset: $11.21 (Simmarket)

http://secure.simmarket.com/arezone-diamond-da42-soundset.phtml

Total: $46.16

Philip Manhart  :American Flag:

13.jpg

- "Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." ~ Plato

Eaglesoft DA42 with a much better G1000 and great FDE

I can not confirm the first item as the Eaglesoft, same as the Alabeo, uses a gauge with slightly enhanced default functionality. I actually see the Alabeo leading, when compared.

As for money back policies, Alabeo also offers one. But you have a point regarding the alternatives, albeit older looking ones.

Phil, the icky sound set is of actual recordings of the Thielert Diesel engines. Don't forget the Mindstar KAP140 AP included... B)

Best Regards,

Ron Hamilton PP|ASEL

Forumsig16.png

My bad Ron, sorry.

Philip Manhart  :American Flag:

13.jpg

- "Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." ~ Plato

Nah, no offence to Ron but the ES DA-42 visuals aren't up to today's standards IMHO. I also had problems with the RPMs on that aircraft.   Despite it having RPM control, I always had to do the key assignment for Max RPM (Ctrl+F4) before taking off; otherwise my RPMs were too low and engine power was insufficient for take off.  This was with no prop assignment axes in FSX either.

I'd rather see the Alabeo patched up.  The sounds are pretty accurate on it, and I don't think the systems are that much behind the ES model.   Neither provides true FADEC simulation.   

Ron is right though, the sounds on the ES DA-42 are fine.  These are diesel powered TDI engines, and are supposed to sound like an old truck.  :smile:

Hmm, the Mindstar Aviation KAP140 and the ability to easily drop the Mindstar G1000 into our DA42 adds value in our own opinion.

We'll bow out now as this isn't our forum. Only responded because we were mentioned. :rolleyes:

Best Regards,

Ron Hamilton PP|ASEL

Forumsig16.png

Hi guys,

I have a few hours on the real thing. The RPM's hitting the red during take-off and the yaw thing is actually something I experienced during every flight. Your really need to work your feet during take-off. I thinking of buying it today. In real life it is a great plane to fly.

Cheers Jeroen

Thanks for the information, Jeroen. Looking forward to your FDE review. :smile:

Ok, I caved nd bought this and WTH! (what the heck!!!)

Nobody seems to be mentioning it here, but what is going on with the take-off power? ..... At this end, it takes 18 seconds at full power and 50% weights, for the aircraft to get from 0-20kts!!

Are you guys seeing this?

It's ok once in the air (assuming the runway is long enough to make it into the air!).

And setting off to taxi from the stand - again I cannot get moving unless I set 100% power, yes 100% power! .. to get moving.  And even then it takes 5 seconds to start rolling.

I have tried a re-intall in case it was corrupted but got the same thing.

Again, are you guys seeing this, because I'm amazed not to read about it here.  At my end this aircraft is currently as close to "unflyable" as I think it's possible to get.

Nope, not seeing it here. Can you rule out a spiking axis for the rpm or something? :mellow: I recall such issues from other planes with 'auto' mixture and/or rpm. They need the internal values for themselves, means one has to start and make sure that everything is at max.

Perhaps try a test flight with a disconnected throttle and just go with F4, after setting Ctrl-F4 and Ctrl-Shift-F4 for max rpm and mixture. If this still triggers the slow acceleration, we can at least rule out some hardware trouble.

I was comfortably cruising at some 150KTAS and 80% power the other day.

Nope, not seeing it here. Can you rule out a spiking axis for the rpm or something? :mellow: I recall such issues from other planes with 'auto' mixture and/or rpm. They need the internal values for themselves, means one has to start and make sure that everything is at max.

Perhaps try a test flight with a disconnected throttle and just go with F4, after setting Ctrl-F4 and Ctrl-Shift-F4 for max rpm and mixture. If this still triggers the slow acceleration, we can at least rule out some hardware trouble.

I was comfortably cruising at some 150KTAS and 80% power the other day.

Thanks CoolP - I thought others mustn't be seeing this, as I know someone would have mentioned it! ..... It really is a killer at this end. Mmmm. I don't have any Prop or Mixture axes assigned but I'm going to do as you suggest and disconnect all axes and try again. Cheers!

Good luck, Craig. I can later post some typical power settings for taxi (those are low) and stuff but I guess that won't help much since, with the symptoms you are describing, something really big is wrong.

Told ya to wait for SP1. :P  Nah, seriously, lets hope you catch the culprit.

On another occasion I was thinking about whether you have automixture set in the FSX realism options. I think this must be off.

But your note on the problem not being around when you are airborne points to a dragging brake of some kind. To rule that one out, any pedals should be disconnected for a test flight with the keyboard only.

Edited. Got some taxi values for you. To start rolling, 10-12% are ok, 15-17% get you going fast. Once you are on the way, some 5% suffice, as can be seen here.

zRnIX7v.jpg

This is with the FSUIPC ground friction mod installed, so your values might differ but won't go up to 100% or so.

Hi CoolP,

Mmm, this is a strange one;-

• Checked no unexpected axes (prop, etc)
  • Checked automixture off
  • disconnected all controller axes
  • G1000 is showing 99% power and 2300rpm at take off.
  • ...problem still occurs!!

I just realized though - this is in P3D 2,5; I'm wondering if you guys are all of FSX ?

Certainly, I'm not seeing anything like your typical taxi power settings, etc (which all look right), I literally cannot get moving from standstill unless power is set to 100%.

I am indeed seeing normal performance in the air (eventually), so it seems to be drag related, on the ground; I thought about the brakes too.    Did a test with keyboard only though and the same thing is happening.

Bizarre!

EDIT:  Just tried deleting (removing) my "Controls" folder from P3D and letting a new, clean one build ...... made no difference!

I'm about to try completely removing the aircrafts brakes (in the CFG) just to see how that affects things.     I have noticed that in P3D the aircraft looks sunk into the grounds (flat tyres syndrome). I'm wondering if the contact points are off, and that may be causing this.

Really need to here from another P3D user, as to whether they are seeing this.