Sign in to follow this  
Driver170

Missed approach climb gradient

Me too! Please don't misinterpret what I'm saying though. Keep asking those hard questions, I've learnt alot! And i enjoy seeing your questions! Much better than some of the other garbage that gets dumped in these forums every now and then. But seriously, if you can afford it, that textbook is great!

Brian Nellis

Haha thankyou! I only ask questions that i find hard to answer or find.

Then learn the way real pilots do, by following a structured syllabus.  What you are doing now is analogous to a child teaching himself to swim by jumping into the deep end of the pool.

Easy for you to say. You've had training from your airlines. Me? I have to do this all my own.

Do you know what books or materials i can start from?

Vernon Howells

Easy for you to say. You've had training from your airlines. Me? I have to do this all my own.

Do you know what books or materials i can start from?

I'm not sure what's available publicly, at least for free anyway.  Mike Ray's books are a good starting point for the casual simmer.  The Boeing materials you received with the NGX are more than sufficient to learn the 737 but they assume a fairly high level of previous knowledge and experience.  What you might find beneficial more than anything else would be a study guide for the instrument and commercial ratings.  You have to pour the foundation before you can build the house.

As far as a syllabus to follow the FCTM is laid out pretty well.  It starts with general information followed by maneuvers and finishes up with non-normal operations.  Start at the beginning and don't move on to the next section until you have a complete understanding of the current one.  Based on some of your questions you are jumping around and skipping ahead to the non-normal ops before you have a handle on the normal procedures.

I have alot of materials at hand now its just getting the time to go through it all. Been looking at the FCOM PD and PI is performance dispatch mean, what you would use during planning stage? And performance inflight is anything from preflight in the cockpit?

Vernon Howells

I have alot of materials at hand now its just getting the time to go through it all. Been looking at the FCOM PD and PI is performance dispatch mean, what you would use during planning stage? And performance inflight is anything from preflight in the cockpit?

Dispatch is for planning. Can we go? PI is after you've launched and you need to check something.

This is also SOP specific. Different governing bodies have different rules for this type of thing and no one answer will be correct.

Matt Cee

We get our inflight landing performance data via ACARS.  We send an entry with the planned landing weight and the airport and it sends us a report similar to the one you get from TOPCAT.  If our ACARS is inop we have tables in our performance manual to calculate the data manually.

I thought that cheers!

I just got this for my ipad...

http://www.performance737.com

If you don't mind spending $60 on an iPad app the 737 Cockpit Companion app is an excellent systems reference and training aid.

If you don't mind spending $60 on an iPad app the 737 Cockpit Companion app is an excellent systems reference and t

Got the book aswell and also the FMC users guide which is amazing

Vernon Howells

What does N-1 mean i've seen this abbv relating to climb gradients?

Is it N1 %

Also my Boeing FCOM PI and PD is run by FAA. Is this still ok to use even though i'm in the UK?

Vernon Howells