Sign in to follow this  
mosteen

Phase change rig at 5,2 GHz - redux...

Good afternoon gents, as some of you may be remember, I was contemplating a phase change build a year or two ago. I was impressed by what was possible to get out of the processor when cooling it to -25C, but the problem was noise, a bit too loud for my cockpit.

The company that offered to build me one back then, have reached back now, with a new concept, promising lower noice and a guaranteed 5,2GHz 24/7 stable overclock. I'm not good enough to evaluate the components to detail, so I thought I'd run it by you esteemed experts :BigGrin:

I have a Dell Ultrasharp U3011, but contemplating the Samsung S34E790C curved (3440x1440). The use will be FSX, maybe X-Plane, and hopefully P3D in the future. I'll put up the suggestion from the builder below, and my thoughts further down, feel free to comment / advice etc. etc. I'll appreciate it!

• LD Cooling PC-V10 Phase Change Black Mk2
  • EVGA GeForce GTX980 4Gb Classified
  • Fortron AURUM PT 1000W
  • Avexir Blitz 1.1 DDR3 2800MHz 2x4 Gb
  • ASRock z97 OC Formula LGA 1150
  • Intel Core i7 4790K Devils Canyon
  • Samsung XP941 512 Gb
  • Samsung XP491 256 Gb
  • GELID GC-Extreme thermal compound

So, will the SSD's be enough? I would propably have a large HDD also, for files, and the FSX apps that does not need to be quickly accessed.

I'm quite flexible on my budget, and if I take this massive step, committing to a full reinstall after almost 4 years, and move away from my rock steady and quite good performing 3,2GHz FSX install, I want to make it count.

Cheers guys!

Edited by mosteen

23.png

What processor are you using @ 3.2?

Flight Simulator's - Prepar3d V5.3/MSFS2020 | Operating System - WIN 10 | Main Board - GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO | CPU - INTEL 9700k (5.0Ghz) | RAM - VIPER 32Gig DDR4 4000Mhz | Video Card - EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 ULTRA Monitor - DELL 38" ULTRAWIDE | Case - CORSAIR 750D FULL TOWER | CPU Cooling - CORSAIR H150i Elite Push/Pull | Power Supply - EVGA 1000 G+ 

Currently I have a i7 960, on stock cooler. Built long before I ventured into the FS world :)

23.png

Well then, you will see a nice boost in performance going from a i7-960 to a i7-4790k the clock for clock difference alone will make a nice jump.

The SSD's should be fine but you definitely will need a 1TB for back up stuff.

Flight Simulator's - Prepar3d V5.3/MSFS2020 | Operating System - WIN 10 | Main Board - GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO | CPU - INTEL 9700k (5.0Ghz) | RAM - VIPER 32Gig DDR4 4000Mhz | Video Card - EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 ULTRA Monitor - DELL 38" ULTRAWIDE | Case - CORSAIR 750D FULL TOWER | CPU Cooling - CORSAIR H150i Elite Push/Pull | Power Supply - EVGA 1000 G+ 

Thanks Ken, I will certainly have a TB HDD for the texture software and so on.

I'm visiting the builder in a weeks time, he will go through a stock of 4790K's to see which will take the OC best, and I will confirm that their Mk2 phasechanger is more quiet than the Mk1 that I waived the first time around.

He suggested a SLi twin GTX980 for max performance, but I'm not sure if that is needed for FSX/P3D/X-Plane?

Cheers,

23.png

Is it a LD chassi?

The best way to run phase change cooling is to have the CPU down reversed to a normal chassi.

You gone have problem with condesation mostly days with high humidity.

If you mont it that way you not get the water on the gpu slot .

Paintl the MoBo from gpu and down with liquid tape to make it water proof .

And last be very careful when mount the CPU evaporator be 100% that Isolation is tight to the MoBo no air leaking in to the CPU.

Runing my former 3770k with phasechange close to two years without any issiues.

Today i run a waterChiller at 6-7C and when it be very humidity a raise the water temp a couple of degres over the dew point.

Or you could get a H110i GT for $130 and overclock it to 4.8ghz. But thats not as exciting as phase change. :lol:

As for the SLI I would use what you have for now and wait for the new 12GB card coming out, which would work great with the curved HD monitor you are looking at.

Thanks for your insights gentlemen. I have an offer for the machine on the picture. On the pic it has a quadra GTX980 install, but I'll get it with "only" a dual install.

These guys have built phase change PC's for several years, and I get a three year warranty.

3A2F92F6-0873-40B9-9A3A-0EA77CB729D4_zps

C3369090-8C53-4003-A615-44829522775A_zps

One good thing, in Norway we do not have many periods with high humidity, and I live in an appartment with balanced ventilation and AC that will keep a steady humidity in the summer.

I'll be visiting the company next week, to see for myself.

One thing: how long will it take to install and run the FSMark11 test?

Cheers,

23.png

Wow... So many tubes

As you know SLI is pretty much worthless for FSX, but maybe ok for P3D? (Or any other normal games - like I play)

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Thanks Ryan, yeah, I would not have considered SLi on a new build, but now this monster showed up, already built for a photoshoot and test in a tech magazine, I will get a good discount from new prices, so we'll see :)

Cheers,

23.png

Sounds good!

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I just changed from my trusty five-year old i7-960 at 3.2Ghz to an i7-4790k at a stable 4.7Ghz on air (good chip). You won't believe the difference. Keep us informed as you go along.

Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

Wow! That looks serious... Please keep us updated.

The FSXmark11 test is on a vanilla fsx install, so not long at all.

Ok, thanks guys, I'll keep you posted!

23.png