Sign in to follow this  
Guest Johnny

Denied my medical :(

Guest jbpropilot

Man I hate to see aspiring aviators denied for medical reasons but, unfortunately, it happens frequently.The FAA is pretty good about certificates of demonstrated abilities where

Guest Johnny

I have started my training with the hope that I can appeal if they deny the medical. My doctor is writing up my history stating that I am totally in control with the diabetes and am not insulin dependant. I have 3 hours in already and I will push as far as I can until I can't go any further until I hear one way or the other. Heck it's only money and I am having a blast with the ground school and the instructor/student flying. If anything it has brought a whole new meaning to my simming experience as well. I swear if I have to fly to see the FAA I will!!! Medically I am fine, probably more healthy than most. I just have to watch what I eat, no sugar, and lo-carb and my glucose levels run very well. I have never had difficulties with the diabetes and that is what I hope the FAA takes into consideration as they review my case. Honestly I think the medical needs to be a lot more inclusive and if issues like this comes up they should be able to run the tests to see if there is a problem. The AME ran a simple urin test and I showed negative on the diabetes, but had they ran an A1C then they could have seen a little elevation but nothing critical. I am in great shape, I work out, I take care of myself, and I feel great. I don't get slurry, or drag #### because of the diabetes. I do understand their concerns however I think when there are issues like this they really need to do some extra work with tests, not just a note from my doctor saying I am OK. Here's another example. I ride motorcyle ('03 Goldwing) and seriously if there was something diabetics with problems shouldn't be allowed to do is ride motorcycles. Don't believe me? Try driving in a big city during rush hour and see how much dexterity you have to have to stay alive!Sorry I was ranting, just wish I could get by this medical issue and continue on without worries.Any way I am going to continue on with the training. MY CFII is really great and is working with me and teaching me some really great things.You folks have a great day, and thank you for your input!JohnnyKTUS(3 whole hours of flying time)

Hi, Johnny.The FAA Medical is somewhat outdated, but I think it

It's certainly easier than in Europe... Haven't checked the fine details for diabetes here but I think any form of it is an automatic grounding here with no appeal.Eye conditions similar, you need perfect vision with glasses (no stronger than -5) or automatic grounding. Things like corrective surgery or laser treatment will automatically ground you even if they correct your eyes to meet the requirements.I checked out some of the things that might affect me late 2002 (about when the JAR medicals were introduced) because I was thinking to start training, and the above disqualifies me (or almost, my eyes are boundary conditions).The medical takes a day, can be taken at currently only one location in the country (special clinic for aviation medicine, only they are allowed to sign off your medical), and costs roughly

It seems almost certain now that, probably by the end of the summer, the new Sport pilot rules will be released by the FAA. The final rules were sent to OMB for their imprimatur, but were sent back to the FAA to have some cost issues clarified. Once they're done, which should be soon, all that's left is to have them published in the CFR, at which they're law. Once they are law, you can go for a Sport Pilot license, as no FAA medical will be needed - a valid US driving license will be sufficient medical qualification to hold one.Richard

Yes- 24 calendar months from the written being passed until certification, otherwise the written needs to be re-taken.Bruce.

Hi Johnny,Good luck with your FAA medical certification. Your frustrations are identical to those of us that have achieved an FAA license, then loose the ability to fly because a new medical condition makes us ineligible (luckily does not apply to me). The thing is- if your aviating skills decline to the point that you can't make a recurrent check, then you can do something about it. But a medical condition is often not within our abilities to correct for.I'll ask around our flight club about diabetes and if anyone has got a waiver. And being honest on anything that the FAA requires is good. I don't know what further aspirations you have in flight beyond the PPL (and possibly the IR), but be aware that Class 2 and 1 medicals are much more stringent (required for CPL and ATP respectively).I would do what you have done- proceed with flight training in the meantime. Are you flying out of KTUS?Bruce.

So what. If you cannot "get" a license, you can still take 20 to 30 hours of real flight time. You can then leverage that knowledge however you wish.You have:* MSFS9* Yoke's* Rudders* Throttles (4 quads!)* Multiple Monitors* Real time Services (ACARS (SP?) for example)Too cool. By the way, I was a pilot, I was an Air Traffic Controller. Can't be those things anymore, as I have Multiple Sclerosis and have complications. But don't worry. I go to work 9-5, contribute...all is fine. Just can't fly or control anymore.FS9 and other tools/simulations make that "Ok".Cheers,bt

Guest Johnny

Bruce,I live in Oro Valley, northwest Tucson. Currently I am flying out of KAVQ Marana Northwest Regional. I really like the FBO there and the flight instructors seem like a great bunch of folks. My instructor is pretty cool and keeps me on my toes. If you are not familiar with KAVQ is is about 24nm (approx) 308 degs off of the KTUS VOR.Yesterday was lesson 4 for me which included power on/power off stalls. So far I have found that I do not care for things like Density altitude, thermals, and definetly don't care for power on stall training! ;) My training is going well and I am learning a lot. BT is right, if all else fails then I received some awesome flight training and gained a new life experience. However I do remain truly optimistic (hard for me) that this will all come out in my favor in the end. I am flying at a schedule of three times a week so if the FAA wishes to help me out here, I could possibly be done by the end of summer!!! If not then we just extend the training out until I meet my end goal.As far as the rating. I am only pushing for my PPL VFR and then will go for the IFR rating. Maybe someday I will try for twins but for now I just want the ability to be able to fly. On another note I have been doing most of my flying late in the afternoons after work when the temperature has been around 108 to 110 degrees at the field so my instructor (hehe) has been baking his poor butt off on my account. I ride my Goldwing out there so I am already toasted and climatised by the time I reach the field. It's gonna be a HOT HOT HOT one this summer!Chat with you all later... 6 flight hours so far!JohnnyKTUS/KAVQ