Sign in to follow this  
rsrandazzo

[03MAR15] PMDG's First Product for XPlane...

So to be clear - is there any chance this will be a FSX/P3D plane? 

I'm one of those who have been waiting for years for announcements on the DC-6 and epic disappointed is all I can say to describe my reaction to this. I've tried X-Plane twice and just don't care for it at all. 

Especially since I just spent a ridiculous amount of money switching to P3D (a large portion going to PMDG, lol)

Noah Bryant

Robert, did you need to be one of the X-Men with three hands to fly this thing "back in the olden days"?

So to be clear - is there any chance this will be a FSX/P3D plane?

I'm one of those who have been waiting for years for announcements on the DC-6 and epic disappointed is all I can say to describe my reaction to this. I've tried X-Plane twice and just don't care for it at all.

Especially since I just spent a ridiculous amount of money switching to P3D (a large portion going to PMDG, lol)

Yes, it's all in the original post.

I guarantee the X-plane version will blow the other two out of the water. Watch those flocks by night.

To add my two cents worth, and to not say something that will add conflicting report to my post, I am just going to say HHOORRAAHH!!. At last we who do love XP along with the other combat and non-combat simulators, both modern and long in the tooth, have a quality software house giving us a great model.

I see both parties, and us as the consumer/enthusiast, benefitting from this union. PMDG I am sure will discover things inside XP and feed back to Austin, who I hope in his wisdom will surely fix and improve XP. We the consumer and enthusiast will get an even better product in XP through this, and it must happen that as the word of mouth and advertising of this venture of both brands, reaches more and more ears, the base of support for XP will grow. And as I am sure all other parties who produce quality software add-ons will also want in on the action, so again, all benefits and we go forward with ever more exciting changes. This will then spin around for PMDG to offer even more models and features in possible up coming releases for XP.

This is a win-win situation for all as I personally see it, and I look forward to those advances no matter what is on offer. I would like to just re-iterate that saying, maybe I don't have it right in it's entirety, but you get what I am on about "You can please all of the people some of time, and some of the people all of the time, but not please all of the people all of the time".

With that, I say, I am looking forward to every post and advert, until the day of the launch of this model. I will personally buy it simply because it's the first PMDG for X-Plane, never mind it's complexity and beauty (YYEESS!!) 'nough said.

Andrew Brown

I look forward to an AC I have to study (more than a week) to fly. I look forward to not using the included GPS and planning a flight.

Would you believe that in my quarter of a century flightsimming ( started with FSII on a Commodore64 back in the 80's...) i have never used a GPS... ?

I have learned about flying and navigating thru the booklets that came with FSII  which was an absolute joy because i didn't know anything about it. Later on i could get my dirty hands on original but outdated Jeppesen en route charts and terminal charts of just about the whole of Europe and US.

Using these charts and using only VOR to VOR and NDB navigation has been the most interesting and rewarding virtual flight time for me, no matter if i'd be flying GA, a propliner or a jetliner. Certainly i learned how to use a GPS when it became available in FS and learned to program an FMC later on (several times even) just because i found it very interesting but i never liked using them for my virtual flights.

I, for one, really don't see the fun in having computers take over the things i love to do and take care of myself during a virtual flight. Nothing as exiting as to watch those VOR and/or NDB needles come in to where you expect them when you're up there all alone in the murk...

I do fly the wonderful PMDG 747 and 737 occasionally using only the absolute necessary FMC entries ( although very limited i still like to fly with default FSX ATC and flightplans ), no LNAV/VNAV for me, VOR/NDB is still my motto.

Can you tell i have been waiting all these 3 years with baited breath for any news about the PMDG DC-6 ? Sure's a bummer that all of a sudden X-Plane is the word but i'm willing to buy it just to fly DC-6. ( i tried XP a couple times but never could get into it, rushed back to FS9/FSX before i could manage to dial in the VOR frequency because i couldn't find the keys to do it... :smile:  )

XP, FSX, P3D or whatever, i'm ready !  :Praying:

cheers,
jan  

Jan

Given the high standards of all PMDG products this is certainly something I will be buying. Looking forward to learning how such an aircraft was operated. Thanks to all at PMDG for taking the time to create something from a great era.  

2 days ago the 10-DVDs-set of XP10.32r1 arrived here in Hamburg/Germany (shipped within 3 1/2 days by FedEx via Memphis and Cologne).

As advised by Laminar Research I used the downloadable installer file to start the installation routine of the 10 DVDs and thereby including the latest updates...

Took a time but worked fine...

This is the third time I bought an X-Plane product version: v4 in 1998(?), v6 in 2002 and now v10. v6 could not take me away from fs2002 because of the relatively poor GFX, especially the panels and "VCs".

But I must honestly say that XP-10 is visually and in terms of performance very convincing. E.g. the sloped (and twisted) runways and taxiways are awesome, the lighting system for cities, airports and runways in conjunction with the road traffic at night has the respective effect on the pilot's perception. It looks and feels realistic. The level of detail of landscapes with trees, cityscapes with buildings and their overall diversity is homogeneous and immersive.

XP-10 is an approved simulator (visuals) for pilot training (professional) and that is quite noticeable.

The only stock A/C that convinced me at FSX/P3D levels in terms of visuals for VCs is the "Lockheed SR-71 Blackbird". Also the exterior model here is very nice.

Maybe it is time to order an add-on-bird to get an even better foretaste of what it will be like flying a PMDG A/C inside XP-10...  B)

The level of detail of landscapes with trees, cityscapes with buildings and their overall diversity is homogeneous and immersive.

The stock X-plane scenery is actually very good alright,  i suppose it would want to be,  its a 60 gig download  :rolleyes:

Just curious Claus,  why didn't you purchase it on Steam,  just wondering really  

Just curious Claus, why didn't you purchase it on Steam, just wondering really

The original manufacturer DVD-set is exactly as expensive as the steam download (in EUR/USD + shipping though). But I prefer to support the developers directly if possible.

I somewhat dislike Steam's "hidden"  x-86 folder installations. I find it proprietary by Steam to do so and prefer the application being installed in its home place rather than in a "hostage kind of situation"...

(BTW: dislike this "app-jacking" for FSX-SE quite a lot! Beside that I am not using FSX-SE at all, except for checking from time to time if something serious happens in the multiplayer section. Waste of time so far IMO).

B)

Edit: forgot to mention something really important...

(quote of the X-Plane web site)

"Note that problems with setting up a Steam account or downloading the game should be directed to Steam. Customer support for using the Steam version is available through Aerosoft. Please direct any questions or issues regarding the Steam digital download directly to one of these parties."

(quote end)

So you seem to lose direct customer support by X-Plane and have to go via Aerosoft. I don't know if I would prefer that.

Edited by vr-pilot