Sign in to follow this  
CrownCityMisfits

Finally, the PMDG DC-6...

I'm just waiting for the NGX in P3D, once it hits the market everything else FSX will start crumbling and we can finally all move on to the "new" platform.

Jacek G.

Ryzen 5800X3D | Asus RTX4090 OC | 64gb DDR4 3600 | Asus ROG Strix X570E | HX1000w | Fractal Design Torrent RGB | AOC AGON 49' Curved QHD |

I'm just waiting for the NGX in P3D, once it hits the market everything else FSX will start crumbling and we can finally all move on to the "new" platform.

Jacek what relevance has your comment to do with this thread's title?

Why did they spoil it by adding modern toys into it. Should be only vor and adf. Seriously I did not believe it would ever finish. I buy it anyway.

Why did they spoil it by adding modern toys into it. Should be only vor and adf. Seriously I did not believe it would ever finish. I buy it anyway.

If you want to call them "toys", then I suppose you just want to play with it, as in flying in the old days. These day's you'll be lucky if you see any vintage aircraft, that doesn't at least use a portable GPS, unless it just keeps close to home base.  It's just all different now. The world is covered with much more restrictive airspace, than in those old days.  Modern nav, does away with a navigator.  If you think you can take on the roll of pilot, flight engineer, and navigator................without use of the pause button, then go for it.

I get it and somewhat agree. But...

A decent amount of these are still operational as cargo and passenger aircraft. So with an appropriate repaint, you may be flying a fairly authentic simulation of a real-world aircraft. That may not be a consolation for you, I am fine with it.

Anyway, I want to fly in 2015, not 1950. If we were flying historical missions on a historical map, I think we could all agree that a GPS would be inappropriate  :P

PMDG said the MD11 was not a good seller I don't think this will be either.  I think there will be a small market for old prop Liners like the DC6.  I for one have no interest in them maybe an old jetliner like a 727 or 707 would sell lots more just My thought!!

Jason Richards

Another agreement with Mark. Problem with simming old birds like this is back in the day you had a 3 to 5 man crew to manage these beast. An engineer to take care of the power plants and sometimes a navigator. How can you accurately sim that on a desk top? Heck, I find the MD80 and DC9 to be a handful for one pilot ops with out some kind of crew add on like Coolsky has.

It's not easy at all. But, it does give the simmer a real taste of the neccessary piloting skills. Rather than just punching numbers into an FMC and then siiting back and watching the aircraft do all the work.

A2A has a nice approach to these vintage birds. I would tend to think that knowing PMDG, they won't sell it cheaply and thus a two versions could satisfy all customers. I'll be flying old routes by classic airlines and those toys will spoil a bit of the fun.

Jacek what relevance has your comment to do with this thread's title?

It's me saying "meh, I don't really care for this plane" Mr. Relevance Police.

Jacek G.

Ryzen 5800X3D | Asus RTX4090 OC | 64gb DDR4 3600 | Asus ROG Strix X570E | HX1000w | Fractal Design Torrent RGB | AOC AGON 49' Curved QHD |

& this is important to us because?

& do we care?

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

& this is important to us because?

& do we care?

Even though I probably shouldn't get involved in stupid exchanges like this, but for the fun I'm going to ask, why do I care that you don't care that I don't care?  Let it go, it's a public forum genius.

Jacek G.

I may care, not that I don't care.

Should I care if you may care, that I may care that you don't care?

Do I care if that is important? Do you care on the importance of caring?

That is the relevance of it all, if we care.

& yes, I do care about the DC-6!!

:p0503:

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

I really do love these old planes where you actually do fly.  I think I will reserve final judgement when we find out the price.  If it is $90 like the 777 then its a definite pass, for $39 as part of the PMDG "light" aircraft then it makes it pretty appealing and worth serious consideration.

I do own a number of old steam aircraft (CS 727 & L1011 plus Concorde), one of the big challenges is remembering how to fly the thing after it sits in your hanger for a few months.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

In a society that has largely become dependent on IPADS, Smart Phones, and such, it is no wonder that magenta lines, autopilots and FMCs are likewise depended upon.  You wonder if society could still function if these things were taken away.  Maybe for some, an old school plane like this DC-6 would be like showing a teenager a rotary phone. :lol:

I agree, there is a lost art in old school flying instincts. These instincts are built up strongly when the FMC is your brain, the GPS is the big moving map outside the window, and the autopilot is your hands and feet.  These instincts do carry over to modern airplanes, you get more out of your modern airplane if you are in touch with your old school instincts.  

I have nothing against modern technology, it's great stuff, and it should be used in today's world, just that old instincts should never be forgotten.  For instance, I love the GTN series, but there are even times I either shut it off or turn it to some random info page because it feels like I am cheating sometimes.  Turn it off and do VNAV in your Mk 1 noggin and realize you can be reasonably accurate.  

Really looking forward this beast and I hope PMDG has more projects like this in the works.  I think this will sell better than most people think, remember AVSIM isn't the only flightsim site out there.  Folks at FS Sites where old airplanes are popular like Sim Outhouse, A2A, etc are going to eat this airplane up.

Cheers

TJ

I have nothing against modern technology, it's great stuff, and it should be used in today's world, just that old instincts should never be forgotten.

I don't think that is the issue with the DC-6. It's not that it is an old plane. As others have stated, it's an old plane that may be a challenge for one person to fly. I have a collection of "grande dames" in my virtual hangar, including the A2A P51 Mustang (introduced 1941), the French-VFR Cessna 150 Bush (1957), the A2A Cherokee 180 (1962) and the Milviz B-55 (1961). All these aircraft have 50+ year old technology as the base model, but they are flyable by a single person.