Sign in to follow this  
WK95

Technique for landing a C-172? How to enter a traffic pattern?

Hello everyone,

I'm looking for help with the proper technique of landing a C-172 once I enter a traffic pattern but first, how exactly do I enter one? More precisely, how do I gauge my distance from the runway so I know when and where to turn onto the pattern? One I get into the pattern, what speeds should I be maintainining on each of the legs?

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Here's what the FAA says:

https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/publications/atpubs/aim/aim0403.html

As to the "geometry" and speeds, I'll wager that you'll get a lot of advice in this thread, but initially do what you feel is comfortable given your abilities and the behavior of the aircraft. Proper landing techniques are the result of repetition of the same sequence of events. 

You can of course use the FSX Learning Centre Lessons to assist you to learn how to fly the C-172 in the pattern/circuit and also to land.  In the Landing Lesson Rod Machado has you set up on a long final, with the aircraft configured and on speed for the landing.  The purpose of the Lesson is to maintain a steady descent to the runway using visual cues and land smoothly.  Pitch is used to control airspeed and power to control the descent.

In real life when I get established on downwind, I try and keep the runway in the middle of the wing strut. Of course this is in real life, but in the sim it can help.And as mentioned above its all about visual cues. For the sim I would just go to an airport your familiar with and practice entering patterns. 

Sign in to follow this