Sign in to follow this  
jeffer_1

FS9.cfg located, but line items are missing. Confused.

Hi There!

Probably going to see me a lot here and there in the next few weeks as I am getting FS9 up and running on my new big rig (unless I am able to locate the right threads before needing to post myself).  Which, for this post, I can't find.

I just got defaults on FS9 loaded. Just did a couple of default start ups at KSEA. Still have not installed FS9.1 patch yet.   However, I was reviewing Nick's FS9 tweaks tonight and noticed that he has items listed on his which are simply not shown on my FS9.cfg. 

For example, under his tweak he shows [Display] Runway_Lights_Surface_Scalar....  That line and the other line items below it like VASI, Approach, Strobe  - is not on my .cfg.  ????  The whole file is only 11kb if that helps.

I found the FS9.cfg location on WIN 7 at Users/CU/Appdata/Roaming/Microsoft/FS9

I installed FS9 outside of the program files on WIN 7 (as suggested by others). I just made a folder for FS9 to be placed and it installed just fine.  So I can't see where there would be another FS9.cfg file somewhere else.  Even checked.

Very confused. :unknw:

Thanks,  Jeff

Those Display lines, you will have to add, if you want them.

Also, you should definitely install the FS9.1. update.

:rolleyes:

Bert

Before you do anything apply the 9.1 update. Then run fs9 without the cfg. i.e. delete it. It will then build a new one. Thereafter add to it as you need to or wish.

Hi Jeff.

The reason the lines are missing is simply economy. FS9 is coded to write as little as possible to the config file. Any variable that's not mentioned reverts to it's default value... by default. In FS9 as shipped and installed no tweaks have been applied so variables are mostly default and thus not listed.

D

Updating FS2004 from 9.0 to 9.1 adds absolutely nothing to the .cfg file. Therefore, there is no reason to delete it and let it regenerate.

The other lines need to be added manually, as stated.

Thanks everybody!

I will install the patch for sure. I will make sure to set everything back to Default settings before installing the patch, just in case it needs to be all default before applying the patch.

Nick mentioned in the tweak about saving a copy of the current .cfg as a backup somewhere, then deleting it and fire up the sim to start with a fresh .cfg.  Then he calls for the changes in the Settings Menu as he lists them, and then close the Sim.  After that make the listed changes to the new .cfg and then save it.