Sign in to follow this  
soloraj

9th March 2015, Steam Edition update goes into open beta

With all the talk about steam fsx can some one tell me please, is it better for me to purchase the Steve,s DX10 version (i already own the ms box version) or purchase the steam version,simply what is the better sim better?

peter

Ever had your internet connection go down for any reason? What about the online servers the game is connecting too going down (check out what happened to the Steam and other game services this past Christmas)? Or what about those that want to play on a trans-Atlantic or trans-Pacific flight? Plenty of reasons why one may not always have an internet connection.

If your internet went down WHILE you were playing the game, nothing would have happened. All it needs is a one-time check with the server. That's it. Does that hurt so much?

With all the talk about steam fsx can some one tell me please, is it better for me to purchase the Steve,s DX10 version (i already own the ms box version) or purchase the steam version,simply what is the better sim better?

peter

Steves fixer works in both versions so really your back to square one, which sim do you prefer, there are a thousand posts on the benefits between them but IMO the fixer with FSX-SE is simming nirvana within the constraints of a 32 bit Platform

ZORAN

No, I did not gain a single thing. I read the release notes and think something, hence my serious question.

I think you aren't stressing your FSX installation enough with high sliders, dense scenery, high levels of AI traffic, and serious weather!

Like Mathijs Kok, who reached the same conclusions without any stress tests at all I think.

Pete

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

Wow, really informative post Pete. I had previously purchased SE on sale but was very reluctant to install because I thought I had to uninstall my current FSX and was not sure if I would actually see any difference. Sounds like your method will get me up and running quickly so I can evaluate it myself and decide if its a keeper or not.

How would you use dx10 fixer then?

How would you use dx10 fixer then?

There is a post from Steve advising how to get DX10 running in Steam (single or dual install with FSX).  He also states that the next version of the fixer will allow you to install into either sim.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

FSX Steam Edition.....The best thing since sliced bread?....Na!....Sliced Bread doesn't even come close. ^_^

by the by, I use DX10 Fixer and now have those beautiful shadows in my NGX.

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 4.2 32 gig ram, Nvidia RTX3060 12 gig, Intel 760 SSD M2 NVMe 512 gig, M2NVMe 1Tbt (OS) M2NVMe 2Tbt (MSFS) Crucial MX500 SSD (Backup OS). VR Oculus Quest 2

YouTube:- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC96wsF3D_h5GzNNJnuDH3WQ   ProATC/SR and BATC FB Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/1571953959750565

Flight Simulator First Officer User Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/564880128522788 ProATC/SR and Flight Sim First Officer (FSFO) Beta tester

Reality Is For People Who Can't Handle Simulation!

If your internet went down WHILE you were playing the game, nothing would have happened. All it needs is a one-time check with the server. That's it. Does that hurt so much?

It does when your down for a week waiting for the net to be repaired. As would have happened to me a couple of months ago as I posted, had I only had FSX-SE at the time.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Mike,

Could you please elaborate? Can you really have shadows in the (PMDG) NGX? Steve mentioned that this is not possible with the B737NGX from PMDG.

>>>>by the by, I use DX10 Fixer and now have those beautiful shadows in my NGX.

Thanks

Edmundo Azevedo

Mike,

Could you please elaborate? Can you really have shadows in the (PMDG) NGX? Steve mentioned that this is not possible with the B737NGX from PMDG.

>>>>by the by, I use DX10 Fixer and now have those beautiful shadows in my NGX.

Thanks

Yes you can, the new SP1D service pack has removed the solid cube around the VC model which has prevented them in the previous version. They look great I might add!!

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Actually, yes, it can. You're missing the part where the internet or Steam servers may not be available to even connect to in the first place. Kind of hard to start the sim in the first place without them. Personally I have rarely had trouble with my Internet connection at home, however, I did run into the problem with the Steam servers being offline for an extended period this past Christmas due to some hackers having a little bit of "fun".

Yes. Sometimes the internet goes down for hours because of weather, car hitting pole nearby, etc. I should be able to use FSX-SE regardless of internet connectivity.

Actually, yes, it can. You're missing the part where the internet or Steam servers may not be available to even connect to in the first place. Kind of hard to start the sim in the first place without them. Personally I have rarely had trouble with my Internet connection at home, however, I did run into the problem with the Steam servers being offline for an extended period this past Christmas due to some hackers having a little bit of "fun".

And that's when Steam offline mode comes in, does it not?

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

There is a post from Steve advising how to get DX10 running in Steam (single or dual install with FSX).  He also states that the next version of the fixer will allow you to install into either sim.

Cool, sounds like the dual fusion by Pete Dawson is the best (for me, it's the only) way to switch to FSXSE. i'll try that perhaps with the next DX10fixer build, or will tinker with the current version.

Thanks,

Dirk.

And that's when Steam offline mode comes in, does it not?

Once FSX SE is updated so that it supports offline, it is an option. Until this next patch is released, it isn't though. Even then, offline mode does require periodic checks against the servers. It doesn't let you permanently run offline. This is one case where the boxed edition has an advantage over the Steam edition.