Sign in to follow this  
FLEX1978

P3D & Oculus DK2/CV1

Hi, since I bought a DK2 I can't bring myself to use a normal monitor again.  Haven't touched my FS setup.   I understand the Dk2 will work with P3D?   

Ideally I would like to run the PMDG 777 in Virtual reality,  is this possible?  Money is not an issue, so I can put together the required rig.  The issue I see is I need a stable 75fps in the sim.    Has anyone got this working?    

After spending years and thousands on hardware/projecters, tracking software etc, 5mins in my DK2 actually put me inside the simulation, it's breathtaking, can't be described.  Normal monitors and TrackIR is not an option anymore, so I'm willing to wait a few years if P3D is not ready for VR..

Cheers

Rob Prest

Hi Flex, I too have the Rift DK2. I bought it initially for DCS, and have been flying the A-10C in DCS using the rift, and really enjoy it. Like you, I have attempted it in P3D, and my system is a relatively new Haswell based system, running SSDs and double Nvidea 780s etc. The issue with the Rift is as you say, FPS. Higher FPS for me, means less of a feeling of vertigo or motion sickness while using the VR headset. No way P3D will achieve that running PMDG, but can be done with the default included aircraft and few to no additional add-ons. Good luck. For me, I strap on the DK2 when in DCS and launch my A-10 for a great "ride".

Thanks mate, I have enough sims to keep me entertained.  Will check back in maybe a year or so.

Cheers

Rob Prest

and have been flying the A-10C in DCS using the rift,

J what frame rates are you getting in DCS with the DK2?

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

P3D is not ready for VR.....

I figure 4k and I'll buy Nuther OR

My first sim flight simulator pD25zEJ.jpg

Take a ride to Stinking Creek! http://youtu.be/YP3fxFqkBXg Win10 Pro, GeForce GTX 1080TI/Rizen5 5600x  OCd,32 GB RAM,3x1920 x 1080, 60Hz , 27" Dell TouchScreen,TM HOTAS Warthog,TrackIR5,Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals HP reverbG2,Quest2

do you have issues not being able to see the keyboard or stick/controls? Also, does it allow you to have a "reference monitor" such that a second person can see on a monitor what you are seeing in the headset?

do you have issues not being able to see the keyboard or stick/controls? Also, does it allow you to have a "reference monitor" such that a second person can see on a monitor what you are seeing in the headset?

Issues with not being able to see anything other than "your virtual world" are and will always be problem/feature of virtual reality. You can't have one without the other. But some enterprising developers can give cues about control surfaces on the VR headset… At least that's the only way I see that it could compensate for your not being able to see your hands. Proprioception or knowing where our body parts are in three-dimensional space is one thing, but they have to be represented by a virtual set of hands controlling a virtual controller.

Therefore, you need to be able to feel where are your controls are....or have the developers of the game give you some sort of sign in-VR AS TO where your hands are relative to your controllers.

Another idea is to you is the tape a leap motion device to your oculus rift and thereby show your hand movements....IF the developer has the savvy and bandwidth to do it.

True VR presents a brand-new world of immersion, excitement, and problems that most of us have never had to worry about/enjoy/fuss over before. It's going to take time for technologists and engineers, AND psychologists and the input of end-users to sort the whole thing out.

Yes they've had a second monitor showing what the guy with the OR is seeing since day one, but of course it is simply two view perspectives projected on one screen...or "split screen" and does not give them any kind of feeling of the immersion....

UNLESS... the second viewing screen is, oddly enough, a HD android or IPhone snapped into A folded cardboard holder, which is amazingly effective… Google Durovis Dive...or search it on Amazon, and you will see them both on the same page.

Hope this helps,

Chas

My first sim flight simulator pD25zEJ.jpg

Take a ride to Stinking Creek! http://youtu.be/YP3fxFqkBXg Win10 Pro, GeForce GTX 1080TI/Rizen5 5600x  OCd,32 GB RAM,3x1920 x 1080, 60Hz , 27" Dell TouchScreen,TM HOTAS Warthog,TrackIR5,Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals HP reverbG2,Quest2

Issues with not being able to see anything other than "your virtual world" are and will always be problem/feature of virtual reality. You can't have one without the other. But some enterprising developers can give cues about control surfaces on the VR headset… At least that's the only way I see that it could compensate for your not being able to see your hands. Proprioception or knowing where our body parts are in three-dimensional space is one thing, but they have to be represented by a virtual set of hands controlling a virtual controller.

Therefore, you need to be able to feel where are your controls are....or have the developers of the game give you some sort of sign in-VR AS TO where your hands are relative to your controllers.

Another idea is to you is the tape a leap motion device to your oculus rift and thereby show your hand movements....IF the developer has the savvy and bandwidth to do it.

True VR presents a brand-new world of immersion, excitement, and problems that most of us have never had to worry about/enjoy/fuss over before. It's going to take time for technologists and engineers, AND psychologists and the input of end-users to sort the whole thing out.

Yes they've had a second monitor showing what the guy with the OR is seeing since day one, but of course it is simply two view perspectives projected on one screen...or "split screen" and does not give them any kind of feeling of the immersion....

UNLESS... the second viewing screen is, oddly enough, a HD android or IPhone snapped into A folded cardboard holder, which is amazingly effective… Google Durovis Dive...or search it on Amazon, and you will see them both on the same page.

Hope this helps,

Chas

Good insight--thanks.

The new HTC-Valve VR will be on the market this summer. Guess who is one of the supporting developers ?  Dovetail.