Sign in to follow this  
z06z33

will flight1's GTN650 fit into the stock GNS530s slot?

I was looking at the units I think I may go with the 650 as I think it will fit into almost every cockpit of my GA planes and since it's touch screen I shouldn't have to worry about the buttons on some of the VC's not working correct? My worry is that it's too large and will look weird if it's installed into let's sat the Carenado C340. Any input on this before I spend $70

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

From what I understand, the 650 is a pretty good fit in the space vacated by a 530, as long as you are able to hide the knobs of the 530 you are replacing.  I don't have the 650, so I couldn't tell you for sure.

On aircraft where is a 3D panel plate of the 530, many of us have had good luck in fitting the map portion of the 750 in the screen space of the 530.  Works well. I personally use this method on a few planes such as the Lancair Legacy, and the Twin Otter.

I don't have it installed, but you specifically mention the C340 from Carenado; I'm pretty sure you can easily install 750's in that one.  Others might be able to verify that though.

The larger touch screen of the 750 is makes it preferable to the 650 in my opinion.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

On old addons you'll be able to fit it but the 750 is far far better - even if you only use it as a popup

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

On old addons you'll be able to fit it but the 750 is far far better - even if you only use it as a popup

From what I understand, the 650 is a pretty good fit in the space vacated by a 530, as long as you are able to hide the knobs of the 530 you are replacing.  I don't have the 650, so I couldn't tell you for sure.

On aircraft where is a 3D panel plate of the 530, many of us have had good luck in fitting the map portion of the 750 in the screen space of the 530.  Works well. I personally use this method on a few planes such as the Lancair Legacy, and the Twin Otter.

I don't have it installed, but you specifically mention the C340 from Carenado; I'm pretty sure you can easily install 750's in that one.  Others might be able to verify that though.

The larger touch screen of the 750 is makes it preferable to the 650 in my opinion.

Can you post a pic of your vc with the 750 installed in one of these cockpits?

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

If I was only buying one it would definitely be the 750. I have both but the 650 usually just goes along for the ride to be honest. The 650 being smaller has a different key-in for airport identifiers and such where the entire alphabet is not accessible at once, you have to select your letter range (ie. IJKL if you want "K") on a lower strip and then select the letter "K" above when it pops into view. Next you want "A" so you have to select the range ABCD to get access to the actual "A" button above. I think it'd be fairly quick and easy with a touchscreen but it's a pain with the mouse. The 650 doesn't have charts either BTW.

If I was only buying one it would definitely be the 750. I have both but the 650 usually just goes along for the ride to be honest. The 650 being smaller has a different key-in for airport identifiers and such where the entire alphabet is not accessible at once, you have to select your letter range (ie. IJKL if you want "K") on a lower strip and then select the letter "K" above when it pops into view. Next you want "A" so you have to select the range ABCD to get access to the actual "A" button above. I think it'd be fairly quick and easy with a touchscreen but it's a pain with the mouse. The 650 doesn't have charts either BTW.

Looks like I'll be going with the 750 as the Avsim review of it shows it working in almost every plane, even those with 3d knobs.  

http://forum.avsim.net/page/index.html/_/reviews/review-gtn-650-750-avionics-r2357

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

the map view will work yes, you'll still need the 2d popup to work the gauge.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

the map view will work yes, you'll still need the 2d popup to work the gauge.

So you can't use the touch screen unless you use to 2d pop up?... Guess I'll stick with the GNS530 then

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

I'm not sure exactly which case you're referring to

There's three cases (maybe four ) in which you'd install the gauges

1) natively using an addon's config ie Realair T Dukev2 - shows up in VC with proper sizing and working knobs /touchscreen... Full functionality

- so far only a few addons with native (read full 3d) integration:

Realair Turbine Duke v2

A2A Skykane (soon to be their older GA from reading at the forums)

Milviz C310/Baron/Md530/B407

ES Cirrus and Liberty XL

2) as a 2d popup only in a plane without a spot in the VC

3) user VC mod (2d image on a flat gauge or blank space) , sometimes only part of the gauge will show , typically the map view (because of 3d knobs - the entire gauge won't fit), IE Bert's Carenado Citaton mod. In that case you still need the 2d popup to get full functionality

4) a VC mod where there's a large gap to fit the 750, typically only found in legacy addons, like older Carenado's with flat avionics sections with no 3d knobs. Also the Orbx Lancair comes to mind.

Oh, for size comparisons:

The GTN 650 is similar to GNS430W, so if you had the 430 in a blank panel spot, the 650 would probably fit there ok.

The 750 is a lot larger than 530, but the map view of the 750 is very similar to the entire 530. This is why users typically mod a VC with the 750 map view but use the popup to control inputs

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

Include the Alabeo PA32 Saratago 11 TC in the list.

Derp derp, and I own that one!

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

So you can't use the touch screen unless you use to 2d pop up?... Guess I'll stick with the GNS530 then

No, you can still use the "touch screen" via your mouse, but even though there's only one "knob", and one "button, there is also the "SD card" to which you will need mouse access...

...and those will only be available through a 2d popup window.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

The best way I could think to explain it, is to download the free garmin GTN trainer. Use it with your mouse.  That is exactly your experience with it as a 2D popup.  Now, imagine it on your radio stack in your VC.  You interact with it, with your mouse, in an identical fashion. 

As noted above, a few developers have created native VC installations of the gauge, which allow for a 3D model of the frame and buttons surrounding the screen.  Retrofitted in older planes, such as various Carenado planes where it will fit, you'll simply see everything as flat.

The only difference between using a 530 and a 750 in your VC (other than the 750 being, simply, better) is that you can use your mouse to click on the screen 98% of the time, rather than using your mouse to interact with buttons and knobs 100% of the time.  Nothing requires you to use it as a 2D popup if you don't want to.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.