Sign in to follow this  
RexGrant

Reducing the amount of Terrain Data on startup

Hi all

As I only Fly around the UK usually below 3,000ft so eye candy is very important to me. but back in the days when i used to use FS2002/4/and FSX I seem to remember there was a way to cut down on the Terrain data load time . Although it only takes about 15 seconds It would be nice to speed it up.

Is it posible in windows 7 64bit or would you recomend me to be more patient  :blush:

Regards

Rex.

Hi all

As I only Fly around the UK usually below 3,000ft so eye candy is very important to me. but back in the days when i used to use FS2002/4/and FSX I seem to remember there was a way to cut down on the Terrain data load time . Although it only takes about 15 seconds It would be nice to speed it up.

Is it posible in windows 7 64bit or would you recomend me to be more patient  :blush:

Regards

Rex.

SSD and/or Scenery Config Editor.

There is no "tweak" or setting if that's what you're asking.

That said, if you're only flying at 3000ft, it might be possible to load less data (thus shorter load times) by reducing your LOD Radius (it's in the [Terrain] section of your FSX.CFG. Try 2.0 and work yourself back up to the default 4.5 to see what type of difference it makes and what you wish to tolerate for graphics radius. Your horizon is reduced considerably when flying down that low, so you shouldn't notice THAT much of a difference. You can also try reducing your graphics settings in FSX.

Hope this helps!

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

That is quite a sacrifice to make... at 3000 feet,  LOD 5.5 is nicer than 4.5, so less would be  :unsure:

Bert

Yeah, all too true.  But he's asking about decreasing his initial load times, and as we know there are really very few fixes, and mostly tradeoffs.

I was thinking that settings the LOD Radius to 2.0 and working back up might help him him to find the best mix for his liking.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

Thank you all very much,you have just actvated the redundant memory cells in my  brain and all now is clear. I will try out A few but may leave it alone as I hope to get to grips with the Flightone Focker 100 soon then I will be going aloft :smile:

All the best

Rex

Why not create a default flight in an area that doesn't have any large amount of terrain data -- once FS is up and running you can goto your airport of choice.

P.

Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX MB; AMD 7800X3D CPU; Deepcool LT520 AIO Cooler; 64 Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 6000; Win11 Pro; P3D V5.4; 1 Samsung 990 2Tb NVMe SSD: 1 Crucial 4Tb MX500 SATA SSD; 1 Samsung 860 1Tb SSD; Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 1080ti 11Gb VRAM; Toshiba 43" LED TV @ 4k; Honeycomb Bravo.

Why not create a default flight in an area that doesn't have any large amount of terrain data -- once FS is up and running you can goto your airport of choice.

It would reload the terrain data and scenery, taking just as long as loading from the main screen.

Dave Hodges

Hi P

Yes I have been doing that when I was useing Plan-G Map.  but now I have got FS Tramp and the fly to here app I have got used to sitting back and flying all over the south of the UK visting places I used to Pitch my tent and twitch as In Birdwatching :blush:  I visited Sky a few days ago and flew over the mountan I ticked off the Golden eagle and flew along the sea cliffs I tick the Sea eagle. FSX as more to offer than than people who dont use Flight Simulator realise. Most people when you say your pc hoggy is simulating Flying an aicraft they think it is just a boys toy arcade game   Utill you sit them down with Piper J3 Cub explain a few basics put their hand on the throttle contol and their other on the joy stick and say off you go giving them instuction. :LMAO:

Regards

Rex.