Sign in to follow this  
scandinavian13

Installing FSX and FSX:SE Updates

Well, as usual, I was trying to better my situation and have screwed it up instead. I uninstalled/reinstalled the 777 without diffculty (into both FSX & Steam), so I tried to do the same with the NGX??? I set my Norton Security to Sleep for 2 hours and then I uninstalled the NGX and re-downloaded the program from my account on the PMDG website. I extracted to PMDG_737_8900_NGX Folder. I right clicked on the file PMDG 737 8900 NGX Base Package FSX.exe and clicked Run As Administrator. I now get a message with a large Red (X) stating " Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file.You may not have the approprioate permissions to access the item". I have tried several times to no avail. When I look at the "Operations Center" it offers the opportunity to purchase the program. Please help.

I now get a message with a large Red (X) stating " Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file.You may not have the approprioate permissions to access the item".

Google this error message for the many things that can cause this, none of which is a problem with the installer or zip package.  For example, your administrator rights may not be correct, and so on.

Dan Downs KCRP

Thanks, Dan!

I did Google the problem (I guess I should get in the habit of doing that first) and it was apparently my Norton Security System that prevented the install. I now have it reinstalled in both FSX systems. I am getting the R4.csv error message even though I have run the make runways program several times. It seems there is always something to make my old life difficult.

Anyway, thanks for the speedy reply!

Make sure the makernys program is putting the new r4.csv file in the FSX root directory.  Also make sure it's not a saved flight with the error by starting a default setup from free flight.

Dan Downs KCRP

I'm not sure what you're doing here, but you should start ASN, and then start FSX. If you quit FSX, you should also quit ASN. If ASN isn't pushing weather into FSX for some reason, close and open ASN to see if it fixes it.

Yes. It's best left alone.

I'm not sure what you're doing here, but you should start ASN, and then start FSX. If you quit FSX, you should also quit ASN. If ASN isn't pushing weather into FSX for some reason, close and open ASN to see if it fixes it.

Yes. It's best left alone.

Hello, i am just updating this topic to inform that after update the ASN to SP1B and now SP1C it is working very well. Was not necessary to do any additional act with NGX sp1d. Also, wasn't necessary to start ASN before the FSX. I never remember to start ASN first and allways i am starting FSX and then open ASN. Allways it worked fine. So, for me this problem is resolved. Thank you for a spectacular aicraft. 

So, for me this problem is resolved.

Glad you got it sorted!

Kyle Rodgers

Hello everyone, I am a bit confused. 2-3 weeks ago I downloaded the new NGX via extended download, now when I attempt to load FS2crew an window pops up that I do not have SP-1d I am also having an issue with auto pilot not engaging. Can anyone please give me some direction, Thanks Randy 

Hello everyone, I am a bit confused. 2-3 weeks ago I downloaded the new NGX via extended download, now when I attempt to load FS2crew an window pops up that I do not have SP-1d I am also having an issue with auto pilot not engaging. Can anyone please give me some direction, Thanks Randy 

Full names in the PMDG forums please.

The latest update is a full installer, previous versions must be removed.  I assume you have read this thread because you attached to rather than starting a new one so please go through the many instructions and recommendations and see if any help you.

Very minor but I'll mention it to reduce possible confusion. There is no longer an extended download service. Download links in your purchase history do not expire.

Dan Downs KCRP

I have just downloaded and installed FSX SE.

I downloaded the latest version of the NGX, 777 and the 777 expansion and loaded them into FSX.

It struck me as unusual that I wasn't asked for a Serial Key but continued.

When I opened FSX the aircraft were in the directory so I selected the NGX and the process froze on me. Now it is cycling between responding and not responding as seen through Task Manager window with the image of the aircraft being replaced by a black window. When the image returns it has rotated a few degrees but at that point is not responding.

Any suggestions?

Any suggestions?

FSX and FSX:SE use the same key (it's the same license), so unless you removed the license somehow, it won't ask you again.

Did you uninstall the old aircraft before reinstalling? Did you read and follow the instructions in the Read Me file for FSX:SE users?

Kyle Rodgers

I have the Steam version of FSX loaded on a network machine and the original NGX still loaded on the main machine. They will eventually change places in the hierarchy when the time is right.  Am I able to load the NGX on the Steam machine without removing it from the original installation or must this be done first? 

I was hoping I would be able to continue with FSX MS while migrating all my stuff to FSX SE but if that isn't possible then I'll have to do what with the migration then make the break.

I did (have) followed the instructions in the file you mentioned.

Am I able to load the NGX on the Steam machine without removing it from the original installation or must this be done first?

Both NGX and PMDG-777 installers for FSX allow concurrent installation on both FSX and FSXSE platforms, and that is how I've tested them during beta.  Each platform has it's own liveries, aircraft settings, panel states and NAVDATA separate from each other. Migrating with PMDG couldn't be easier.  The only caveat is the installer REPAIR function will not work if both platforms are present; but you may remove just one or the other and reinstall if the need arises.

Dan Downs KCRP

Both NGX and PMDG-777 installers for FSX allow concurrent installation on both FSX and FSXSE platforms, and that is how I've tested them during beta.  Each platform has it's own liveries, aircraft settings, panel states and NAVDATA separate from each other. Migrating with PMDG couldn't be easier.  The only caveat is the installer REPAIR function will not work if both platforms are present; but you may remove just one or the other and reinstall if the need arises.

OK - there must be something more going on then.

I'll persevere and see what comes of it but I must say I'm not that confident of success. 

Seems strange it loads into FSX SE without a problem, each of the four Simconnect modules are identified in 'Currently Installed' programs, the aircraft is able to be selected from within FSX SE and yet when it is selected it effectively fails to load correctly to the point where I can select either a time of day, airport or finalise the load and bring it into use.

Failure to load and FSX crashing can be caused by an error in the dll.xml file.  If you are not familiar with xml files, you can attach it to a trouble ticket at the PMDG Product Support portal (support.precisionmanuals.com).  Yeah, perseverance counts for more than anything else, well put.

Dan Downs KCRP

I have been to the PMDG Operations centre and have a question about updating the PMDG 777 and 737 NGX as I only did an update in March.

For the PMDG 777-200 LRF and the 777-300 ER do I need to uninstall the present version before installing the latest version as when I tried to install it it asked if I wanted to reinstall the previous version or remove the present version ?

The PMDG 737 NGX refers for an update for FSX:SE so is the update for the 737 NGX just for the Steam edition of FSX or is it for the FSX original as well?

Thank-you.

Michael Houghton