Sign in to follow this  
archaic58

NGX and P3D v2.5

I agree. Hence my initial post in bold and underlined saying that performance is slightly improved. I guess to be fair I should elaborate and say that that statement is issued as a layman. Nonetheless, I look forward to seeing what LM have for us in the future, I just don't think it v2.5 matches my expectations

Not sure what people are expecting, honestly. Despite the heaping doses of willful ignorance of the fact in the community, Prepar3D is simply a development from Microsoft's ESP, which was essentially the commercial version of FSX.

The "performance" version of a Ford Focus is still a Ford Focus, if you see where I'm going...   :P

I should finish this, though, by saying I'm impressed by the improvements, but I'm not disappointed simply because I remember where P3D comes from.

Kyle Rodgers

Until I see that 50% of P3D users are not happy with it, I will not go for it, it's too risky.

You meant more than 50% that will be happy?  Whether going for P3D or not is a personal choice.  I went for it and left FSX behind because of what it offers: HDR, no autogen popping and smooth performance on my system (thanks to Kyle's tip on Affinity mask).  The NGX gives me the same performance as in FSX, but I also got shadows, HDR etc.  so for me the Sim look much more real.  I dialed back settings to avoid OOM, and using Rob's saved flight trick, I have not gotten any OOM yet.  It's more expensive for me because I have to buy PMDG licenses again, but worth it to me.  Either that or added to FSX things like DX10 fixer band aid and hoping that FSX-SE will fix the CTD terrain issue or that DoveTail will have staying power.  I would rather spending the time flying.

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

Just installed the NGX today into P3D v2.5 without a hitch. Flew from KSNA, Latin VFR to CYYZ, Fly Tampa. Also FTX Global and FS Global 10. No problems and everything worked perfect. Great Job PMDG. I have been a loyal customer for about 5 years now and will continue to be so. 

Thanks for the great products

I completely agree with you......... works very well on my low end machine and I spent a couple of hours fine tuning my settings to get a smooth movement panning around the virtual cockpit.

I had to give up FSX a few years ago because FSX with no addons was crashing every flight or every second flight...... it made me almost give up flight simming due to frustration. Moved over to P3D as soon as it became available and have not had one CTD yet....... a huge plus over FSX.

My personal opinion is that P3D is leaps and bounds ahead of FSX....... for example flying the 737 NGX in P3D with a smooth panning in the cockpit is something I never achieved in FSX.

I started off yesterday with p3d 2.5 re-installed with no addons.

After purchasing the p3d version of the NGX, I installed the NGX and gave the virtual cockpit a quick test to see how smooth the panning around the cockpit was. I do not take notice of frames per second as I always average below 10 in the virtual cockpit..... the important thing is not the fps but how smooth the panning is.

I saw a need to adjust my settings and moved all the scenery sliders to the left. Then changed my settings to :

Level of Detail Radius to High

Tesselation Factor Low

Mesh resolution 2m   possible overkill but looks great

Texture Resolution 15cm   possible overkill but looks great

Scenery Complexity Extremely Dense

Autogen Buildings and Vegetation Normal

Water Detail Low

No reflections ticked

Special Effects Detail High

Special Effects distance Medium

Ran a test and was happy that I had smooth panning.

Installed the following addons and tested the NGX after each install to make sure panning in the cockpit was still smooth

- active sky next - realism mode in settings

- AI Traffic at 35%

- Orbx FTX Global

- OrbxFTXGlobalVECTOR

- FS Global 2010 FTX mesh

Normally by this stage FSX would be crawling in the NGX especially with mesh installed.

The result was that I had each of these addons installed and running in p3d and still have smooth panning in the cockpit.

I was never able to achieve this with FSX let alone have Mesh resolution and texture resolution so far right and scenery complexity at Extremely Dense.

Anyone that experiences slow panning in the virtual cockpit needs to look at the sliders in the settings and work out which sliders should be left and which sliders can be right. For example, I have Tessellation all the way to the left as Tessellation adds more polygons to the mesh scenery...... something I don't need at the moment to be anything other than far left. Once I have installed my atc software and tested my settings with full cloud cover then I may look at moving tessellation slightly to the right.

Moving over to P3D and not suffering any CTDs was the best move I made..... however at the expense of not flying the NGX. I missed my NGX over the last few years.

Today that has changed and a big thank you to PMDG for releasing the NGX and the 777 on the P3D platform.

Happy flying everyone 

Roy

ps    

I do not tweak p3d in any way as I am still not sure of benefits of some of the tweaks.

I did upgrade my hardware last year and decided to try out FSX again...... but I got a CTD on my first flight so nothing had changed...... went back to P3D.

Roy Jordan

Until I see that 50% of P3D users are not happy with it, I will not go for it, it's too risky. I hope things will be different with the 64 bit version. Stuck to FSX for the moment...

If you don't mind shelling out 90 bucks later...  Whether you want it or not, everyone will eventually transition to P3D, I personally said enough as soon as T7 hit the market and I'm expecting a lot of people move platforms soon. Total cost for both of the PMDG products after time deadlines $225 LOL

Jacek G.

Ryzen 5800X3D | Asus RTX4090 OC | 64gb DDR4 3600 | Asus ROG Strix X570E | HX1000w | Fractal Design Torrent RGB | AOC AGON 49' Curved QHD |

If you don't mind shelling out 90 bucks later...  Whether you want it or not, everyone will eventually transition to P3D, I personally said enough as soon as T7 hit the market and I'm expecting a lot of people move platforms soon. Total cost for both of the PMDG products after time deadlines $225 LOL

This isn't accurate. Some people have no use for P3D, to be honest. It's a commercial, training, and education sim. Not everyone who uses FSX has a valid use for such a sim.

Also: full names in the forum, please.

Kyle Rodgers

I agree. Hence my initial post in bold and underlined saying that performance is slightly improved. I guess to be fair I should elaborate and say that that statement is issued as a layman. Nonetheless, I look forward to seeing what LM have for us in the future, I just don't think it v2.5 matches.

I have been scratching my head over the move for some considerable time now, have watched all the side by side video and comparison reviews. To be quite honest, other than shadows, I see very little difference. In fact, 50% of the time, I prefer the FSX visuals. My FSX runs like a dream, extensive addons, 30fps + in the NGX, on the ground, high volume airports, 40 fps + with ASN and REX doing its thing at high resolution, only the three major tweeks, NO OOMS AT ALL. Three years ago, I did not know how to send an e-mail, so it's not down to my pc knowledge ( perhaps its down to my lack of computing knowledge), I have no idea what some of these guys are doing wrong (perhaps over tweeking, and freeware). I have no freeware installed. I think a lot of P3D users seem to need, to justify there investment, everyone to there own, I'm sticking with FSX. At least I know next time P3D update, and break othe things, I'll still be flying the great blue yonder. Good luck.

This isn't accurate. Some people have no use for P3D, to be honest. It's a commercial, training, and education sim. Not everyone who uses FSX has a valid use for such a sim.

Mhm, ok.

Jacek G.

Ryzen 5800X3D | Asus RTX4090 OC | 64gb DDR4 3600 | Asus ROG Strix X570E | HX1000w | Fractal Design Torrent RGB | AOC AGON 49' Curved QHD |

Some people have no use for P3D, to be honest. It's a commercial, training, and education sim. Not everyone who uses FSX has a valid use for such a sim

We've had this discussion before Kyle, really i don't know how you can think this, LM's very own license page clearly states that the 'Professional' version can be used for "Simulating & Learning".  I think that is nebulous enough to cover every user on here; now i don't share the same opinion on the "Academic License", beloved of so many on this forum.

Who exactly wouldn't that cover?  I guess people who purchased FSX to fly the planes into the ground and then immediately get bored and uninstall it, even then, a fairly easy case could be made that they are indeed "Learning", thus for-filling the terms on the license, at no point is "commercial" expictly even mentioned as a requirement of the license.

Ian R Tyldesley

We've had this discussion before Kyle, really i don't know how you can think this, LM's very own license page clearly states that the 'Professional' version can be used for "Simulating & Learning".  I think that is nebulous enough to cover every user on here; now i don't share the same opinion on the "Academic License", beloved of so many on this forum.

Who exactly wouldn't that cover?  I guess people who purchased FSX to fly the planes into the ground and then immediately get bored and uninstall it, even then, a fairly easy case could be made that they are indeed "Learning", thus for-filling the terms on the license, at no point is "commercial" expictly even mentioned as a requirement of the license.

What people choose is entirely up to them. What you see as nebulous, another might see as clear cut, and that choice is up to them. Your assessment of the options is valid for you and you alone.

I wasn't talking about the license groups, though. I was simply pointing to the fact that, if a simmer wasn't using ESP before, chances are strong they aren't the target market for P3D. That's a pretty large generalization, but it's a fact that P3D is ESP, and ESP was Microsoft's commercial and training sim. It might be true that there may be a shift of users from one platform or another (clear cut or nebulous as their use might be), but I think it's inaccurate to say that everyone will eventually be in P3D. That's what I was challenging, and, regardless of prior discussion, facts are facts.

Kyle Rodgers

At the moment KJFK - KIAD (FSDT / FB)  with Delta Virtual. This bird is a beauty in P3D 2.5. Stable 25 FPS with lots of Shadows, moderate autogen and ASN running. VAS at 1.6 - 1.7. Awesome.  ^_^

And the WXR works like a charm.  B)

Philipp Schwaegerl

I have 4790K and GTX 780, performance in P3D is still crap! I wish people would stop misleading others on P3D FSX comparisons.

That's not misleading!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

If your performance is crap with that PC, same cpu and gfx as mine then you have problems.

"performance in P3D is still crap!"

Not on PC, far from it.

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

Personally I don't see any reason to change to P3D. I'm very happy with what I get from FSX, and that's all I need.

For the first time I only have P3D installed on my system, not to say I will not reinstall FSX again.

The only reason its not installed due to constant CTD of P3d I just got fed up and reinstalled my system from scratch.

To me I think of it like this:

FSX = Pile of Dirt

FSX-SE = Pile of Dirt in a Pot

P3D = Pile of Dirt in a Pot with a Flower Planted.

In the end its still just a pile of dirt.

There was another analogy about lipstick on a pig but I'll leave that one alone.

Sean Green

Sounds like your PC is a pile of dirt!

As long as your have a good PC and everything is set up sell.

You will not get "constant CTD of P3d" or any at all. FSX can run well with very few crashers.

P3D is far ahead FSX in terms of looks, lighting. With the PMDG 777/NGX and P3D 2.5, for the first time in the life of FSX, i have no use for it anymore. 

If you don't have a well up to date PC then FSX might be a better place to be.

FSX= A classic sim,

P3D= The New shiny version of a classic sim that will only get better as time goes on. 

P3D is the future and given time will be the only sim of choise. FSX has entered its retirement age. P3D feels like its a 21 year old with a bright future ahead.

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

Sounds like your PC is a pile of dirt!

As long as your have a good PC and everything is set up sell.

You will not get "constant CTD of P3d" or any at all. FSX can run well with very few crashers.

P3D is far ahead FSX in terms of looks, lighting. With the PMDG 777/NGX and P3D 2.5, for the first time in the life of FSX, i have no use for it anymore. 

If you don't have a well up to date PC then FSX might be a better place to be.

FSX= A classic sim,

P3D= The New shiny version of a classic sim that will only get better as time goes on. 

P3D is the future and given time will be the only sim of choise. FSX has entered its retirement age. P3D feels like its a 21 year old with a bright future ahead.

Just remember people have opinions and if they are happy with FSX and its visuals, the way it runs etc, then leave it. You don't need to force people to try P3D. It works for your. It might not work for them. Not to mention the financial side of moving to P3D. It's not a cheap switch like FSX to FSX SE.