Sign in to follow this  
Dougal

Too Many Addons?

Flying a 737 from A-B or flying a King Air or even a C182 from A-B isn't all that different kind of flying experience

I would have to disagree with this, using the &37NG's automation correctly in all phases of flight is a world away from flying a King air or a small Cessna.

I would have to disagree with this, using the &37NG's automation correctly in all phases of flight is a world away from flying a King air or a small Cessna.

Yes the technical procedures are different, turning on an autopilot and watching your NGX follow a magenta line for 2 hours is not much different experience doing the same thing in a 182, compared to say soaring thermals and ridges in a glider or flying an aerobatic routine in a Pitts. 

To add to my last:

I forgot to say, prior to any reinstall that I do, I spend some serious time thinking about which add ons I am going to install next. And I am always realistic about it in regards to the limited power of my current PC. I strongly disagree with Pilottj; I never find my regional flights boring, no matter how it may sound.

Currently I have five aircraft and two helos installed, and lots of high quality scenery for Europe, and I'm using 69.9GB of my current 128Gb SSD.

Last week I also purchased and installed Aerosoft night texture for UK. This has been a game changer for me. I've put some comments and some screenshots in the appropriate forums here at Avsim. Just because I keep my FSX realistic does not mean that I make it boring or repetitive. I refuse to install military jets, as I can do nothing with them, and besides which I cannot get adequate frames for high speed operations. Although at one stage in the past I had the Skysim Hawk installed, and I flew the entire RAF Nav syllabus.

To finalize, I also found out a couple of weeks ago that Just Flight are going to release a payware version of the Socata TB20. This is what I've been waiting for. Most of my real time flying was logged in this model of aircraft, and it is well worthy of a good DX10 representation in FSX.

Guess I take my FSX a little seriously because of the realization that now, at 48 with a wife and three daughters, I probably won't get the opportunity to fly the real thing any more.

To add to my last:

I forgot to say, prior to any reinstall that I do, I spend some serious time thinking about which add ons I am going to install next. And I am always realistic about it in regards to the limited power of my current PC. I strongly disagree with Pilottj; I never find my regional flights boring, no matter how it may sound.

Currently I have five aircraft and two helos installed, and lots of high quality scenery for Europe, and I'm using 69.9GB of my current 128Gb SSD.

Last week I also purchased and installed Aerosoft night texture for UK. This has been a game changer for me. I've put some comments and some screenshots in the appropriate forums here at Avsim. Just because I keep my FSX realistic does not mean that I make it boring or repetitive. I refuse to install military jets, as I can do nothing with them, and besides which I cannot get adequate frames for high speed operations. Although at one stage in the past I had the Skysim Hawk installed, and I flew the entire RAF Nav syllabus.

To finalize, I also found out a couple of weeks ago that Just Flight are going to release a payware version of the Socata TB20. This is what I've been waiting for. Most of my real time flying was logged in this model of aircraft, and it is well worthy of a good DX10 representation in FSX.

Guess I take my FSX a little seriously because of the realization that now, at 48 with a wife and three daughters, I probably won't get the opportunity to fly the real thing any more.

I never said that A - B was boring...heck I just finished flying the Turbine Duke around the world...point A - A...the long way lol  I am merely suggesting to the OP that if you are feeling 'bored' in FSX, you may consider venturing outside your self imposed boundries and try other types of flying besides flying A - B.   Try the unknown or the unfamiliar, you might find you like it.

Cheers

TJ

I think what would really add to the sim as well is some additional payware mission sets, but ones that contain many variations, and you do not have to fly them for too long a time (Which was one of Dougals original points - the free time he has available to him).

When M$ made the original missions in FSX and acceleration for example, I found a lot of the aircraft types inappropriate for given mission. For example, after working for Bristow, I find it very unlikely that anybody would attempt to conduct SAR in a Jetranger.

Interesting post guys. :-)

I’m starting to come around to the idea that I should pick my 3 favorite planes –a nearly impossible task- and just fly those. Or even better pick just one, if my attention span could handle that. I jump between planes so often I forget the nuances of each, and there’s always an adjustment period. Mastering one plane would be quite rewarding. Too many options, too much fun to be had in too many types of planes in too many different places around the world for me to stick to one though. For many years, people complained about FSX not supporting certain features, and now that almost each and every one of our whims is provided for, we complain that our cups are running over. My hardest decision now is just choosing where and what to fly. And what a wonderful decision that is to make!

Isn't that the beauty tho?   You can fly an NGX from A to B, or a Turbine Duke, or Cessna or whatever.  You can simulate being a career pilot, you can simulate being a GA aircraft owner.   You can fly modern gadget filled automated computerized planes or you can fly old school stick and rudder fabric covered antiques. You can also enjoy the challenge of mastering a thoroughbred like a Spitfire or a vintage workhorse DC-6 (Soon), you can take an EE Lightning to the edge of space, you can trap an F-14 onto a carrier, you can ride ridges in a glider, you can attempt to nail that riverbank strip in a bush plane, and so on.  None of these are 'unrealistic' aviation activities, and if you chose by chance to do something unrealistic, more power to you.

In fact for many of us, I would bet we have roughly an equal chance of getting a ride in an EE Lighting as we do getting left seat time in a 737.   

I urge developers to keep bringing out more choices, more variety, keep bringing out the new experiences.  This hobby, be it FSX, P3D, X-Plane or whatever, has an unlimited horizon.

Isn't that the beauty tho?   You can fly an NGX from A to B, or a Turbine Duke, or Cessna or whatever.  You can simulate being a career pilot, you can simulate being a GA aircraft owner.   You can fly modern gadget filled automated computerized planes or you can fly old school stick and rudder fabric covered antiques. 

That is something that continues to amaze me about the platform, that it can simulate such a wide range of activities. One type of flying is not like the other. Many people have an entire sim world based on military aviation, some on purely retro aviation - including scenery for both. And some people are even using FSX as an open maritime world for sailing simulation. The possibilities are endless. 

My two favorite forms of aviation are bush flight and commercial medium/long haul, two opposite sides of the spectrum. My interest in both has led me to other areas of aviation, namely aerobatic, GA, and regional turbo prop operation. It has amazed me to see that I can accurately simulate all forms of aviation I wish to a very exacting degree. Really incredible things have been happening recently in weather, flight planning, avionics, and scenery. These developments, along with the continued breakthroughs toward realism by aircraft developers, has led to an astounding flight experience. To repeat my previous sentiment, my biggest limitation is my own lack of imagination in deciding a flight plan.

Fortunately it is not another add-on since it runs outside of FSX, P3D, DX10 before starting the Sim with pre configured flights and situations of your choice.   Helped my situation ironically.

Some good feedback here, for which i'm grateful. I do have Scenery Config Manager installed, and DO deselect areas not currently in use (more for OOM prevention than anything else).  MUCH easier than uninstalling, ESPECIALLY when it comes to photo scenery.

The other thing I do, or try to, is cut and paste most aircraft folders not currently in use, to a folder not being read by the cfg file. If nothing else, it certainly massively speeds up load times. What it doesn't do though, is remove all the bleeping entries in the DLL.XML and EXE.XML files. I think all those modules etc must have an impact. I suppose the answer there is change their entries, but even using Sim Starter or the like for that, sort of removes a lot of the spontaneity.

As for whoever stated he found it very hard to believe I use all my addons… Believe whatever you wish. Do bear in mind though that I don’t work. My average FSX use is probably close to 8-10 hrs per day!  When I can’t sleep, I’ve often been in FSX for 36-48 stints. Ha! Just ask my wife!!! ;-)

Fortunately it is not another add-on since it runs outside of FSX, P3D, DX10 before starting the Sim with pre configured flights and situations of your choice.   Helped my situation ironically.

I did try this but didn't like it.  Guess its time i tried again;-)

I’ve often been in FSX for 36-48 stints. Ha! Just ask my wife!

You still have a wife? Wow, you are fortunate, hang on to her.

I've done a few FSX 'detoxes' in the past. Got rid of everything but one or two favorites. 

Currently, I'm just running a default Steam version and am waiting for the FS Labs A320. Please tell me the new bus will work on FSX-SE...  ^_^

Ian

For P3D, can you just deselect regions you don't use in the scenery library?

Or do you need that scenery configurator program?

I have had a similar problem with add-ons and found this new program for FSX, DX10, and P3D very helpful.  It is called SIMstarter and a video overview can be seen on YouTube at this link.

WOW! Thank you so much for this.. I have been waiting for a payware to get for this functionality/application and this is something I have wanted for years.

I quickly browsed over that you tube video... and its exactly what I want.. particularly the scenery  profile...but this gives us lots more and its professional looking and a freeware! WOW

My only Question is, I want to install this on my non Flight sim laptop (in addition to my Fsim PC.  The reason being.. I travel so much  and I spend so much time at airport and so on, I am thinking I could do all my settings and build my profile from my laptop and then transfer those files over to my FSim Desktop

Do I need to have a Flight Sim P3D V2.4 on my laptop to do this? can I place all of these files (copied from my flight sim desktop) in some folder in my laptop and then direct FSim starter to this folder so I can build the files and profiles I need without the P3D installed on my laptop? 

If I need to install P3D on my laptop..can I simply install it in my laptop but not startup the P3D since I do not have a second license.

Hmm..Interesting indeed

and thank you.

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Manny;

capt. pero is the builder and his email address is capt_pero@web.de I am sure he wouldn't mind the questions. He is happy that people are starting to recognize his hard work and indepth programming. He is still fine tuning the program so the more people using it the better especially with new ideas for inclusion. Enjoy. fisheye

PS you have been a member only a little under three months

longer than me. ;-)