Sign in to follow this  
Dimka

Stick of RAM prevents computer from starting.

Hello everyone-

So magically one day when I was restating my computer, my computer would light up (lights on the motherboard and fans would turn on), then after a second or two, it would shut off, then turn on again, then shut off, and repeat the process for ever. After investigating and re=seating everything, I concluded that my RAM sticks are causing the problem. I have x2 sticks of 4GB of RAM, and now I can only use one for the computer to start. If I were to put in both, it would start the problem stated above.

Anyone know what is up? Its the RAM that came with the PC, nothing special. I am thinking of upgrading to Corsair x16 GB's of RAM so I'll no longer get the stutters in FSX.

Thanks.

System specs- i7 4790K @ 4.0     GTX 650    8GB (now 4GB) of RAM   Asus Z-97 Maximus mobo.

Lol I just went through this

One stick went bad, that's all.

You'll have to rebuy a matched pair next time too

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Test the sticks individually, if the computer fails with one of the sticks, it is a bad stick. 

If the computer boots and runs normally on each individual stick, you might have a bad RAM slot.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

The computer can start both sticks by themselves.

Are they matched pairs? Ie were they from the same box?

I could boot with my four sticks separate but not together. Turns out the second matched pair wasn't compatible with the first

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

They both came with the computer when I first bought it, and have been working perfectly for the past year that I have had the system. This is new and out of the blue.

My situation was similar....  in that all sticks were working in harmony for about a week.  It may be coincidence, but my son walked behind my PC cables with his fleece PJ's and then the RAM stopped working happily together.

I literally tried all combinations separately and the machine booted normally.  Just with all four it didn't.

I ended up RMAing the new kit of ram for a partial refund (darn you newegg!)

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |