Sign in to follow this  
Copper.

Windshear Escape Maneuver - NGX Practice

Mark, I initiated the burst a bit closer to the threshold the last time (2.4 nm from memory). I get the right aural alerts and visual alerts on the ND exactly at 1200ft RA. I might set a ring at 5nm from the threshold the next time, so ill get the burst lower and closer.

Strangely, I don't get the "Windshear" visual alert below the attitude indicator. Does anyone else? Have to check HGS indications, and autopilot behaviour too.

Anyway, the practice is paying off... I haven't crashed since yesterday. Actually, yesterday is the first genuine crash I've had in the NGX!

Brian Nellis

Brian Nellis

You can't. I'm just describing the way I adjust the "trigger point" by adjusting the fmc/cdu range ring.

I usually push the ASN microburst button at 5.4nm to the runway threshold, which will put the burst 3nm ahead of the plane, which should equate to 2.4nm from the runway.

Brian Nellis

Brian Nellis

Not getting the windshear warning on the PFD either. But I do when I do a terrain

warning test.

I figured out the problem with my audio warnings.. I had changed around some of

my sound files as I copied over my old ones from 1c, such as nose wheel sounds, etc..

Forgot to place the three new radar sounds in the older CAWS folder I used..

So got that fixed.

But.. I'm still not able to do a radar "test" using the test button. Every time I try that,

it bombs out FSX with an error. Does your radar "test" work? Dunno if a NGX issue, or

with ASN..  Both seem to log some errors when I do that. And FSX shuts down with it's

usual error log.. When I do the "test", it plays the first wav sound, and then FSX  locks

up and eventually bombs out to a restart..

But.. as long as I don't try to do a radar test with the test button, it seems to work OK

otherwise. IE: the radar itself seems to work OK, and I don't have any obvious ASN

problems trying to load weather.

I haven't crashed the plane again since the first one I did. But I flew one into the burst

a while ago and got down to nearly tree top level before I quit sinking..  whew..

The one I crashed was also the first time I had ever crashed the NGX. Don't wanna

make a habit of that. But I was flying into the burst instead of aborting.. I wanted to

see just how bad it was.. Gives you an idea what it must have been for that flight at

DFW several years back. And I watched the video Kyle linked to.. It was the same guy

that gave the speech about the "children of the magenta"..   :lol: 

as I copied over my old ones from 1c

Probably not a good idea to copy sound files between the products. (Or any files, for that matter).

And I watched the video Kyle linked to.. It was the same guy

that gave the speech about the "children of the magenta"..    

Yep - there are a bunch out there with his classes.

Kyle Rodgers

The GPWS test works fine for me. Something must be corrupted in your NGX installation.

Brian Nellis

Brian Nellis

Something is not right I guess.. When I try a radar test, I do seem to get some errors thrown in ASN though, if you look at the debug page. But I also get some errors in the NGX debug txt that it spits out.

So hard to tell for sure what the real cause is. I did uninstall SP1c before installing Sp1d. And other than the radar test, everything else seems to be normal far as I can tell. Strange.. Well, at least I know now it's likely something on my end if yours is working.

I suppose I could uninstall/reinstall again.. And ditto for ASN.. The radar test has been doing that ever since I installed ASN and started using the radar. So it's not something that just popped up since then.

Just re-install the NGX first. When you uninstall it, make sure you delete the appropriate PMDG/NGX folders in the FSX root folder so that your re-install is fresh. start FSX and try the test again.

Brian Nellis

Brian Nellis

It appears to be more ASN or AV related than the NGX. As long as ASN is not running, the

radar test will complete. So I've pretty much come to the conclusion it's not the plane.

There is an issue pertaining to the radar data.

And I've tried all the various AV and firewall adjustments, along with checking the simconnect

status, which seems fine, and still not totally sure what the issue is.

I'm starting to lean to it being AV or firewall related, but what is strange is everything works

normal as long as I don't push the radar test button. Most times when I do a radar test, ASN

spits this out in the debug..

0140-failed to send the aircraft position: Error reading from pipe. Internal error: 109

0140-Failed to send ambient weather data through the pipe. Error reading from pipe. Internal

error: 109

FSX does a lockup/crash and burn/restart when this happens.

AV has both FSX and ASN supposedly excluded. I did do one thing.. I turned off stealth ports

as a test. And the radar test worked.. One time.. I then turned stealth ports back on. No work.

But when I try to repeat that test, I never could get it to work again, so may have been unrelated,

and just a fluke.

I did also uninstall and reinstall ASN, with no change. Ditto for the NGX base pack install.

Neither made any difference.  I guess I'll just keep flying it as everything otherwise seems normal.

I may tinker with other things AV related as I think of them.. But so far, nothing I try AV related

seems to stick, and if that were the issue, you would think the radar wouldn't work at all.

But everything works fine, with the single exception of the radar test.

Anyway, at this point, I don't think it's an issue with the NGX. Or as far as I can tell anyway..

I was on Vatsim last night and taxiing out at Manchester airport to the holding point on RWY 23R when i got the windshear warning. A thunderstorm was in the area 5 miles from EGCC. I also got this while climbing out!

So is this predictive wind shear at work?

Vernon Howells

I was on Vatsim last night and taxiing out at Manchester airport to the holding point on RWY 23R when i got the windshear warning. A thunderstorm was in the area 5 miles from EGCC. I also got this while climbing out!

So is this predictive wind shear at work?

ASN will produce windshear warning aural alerts by default if a windshear is in front of you. See Page 23 of the ASN manual. That's not quite the same as it being produced by the predictive windshear simulation, which relies on WXR information. However if the windshear was displayed on the WXR, then that is probably what produced the alert.

ki9cAAb.jpg

So in my case was i experiencing PWS or actuall WS alert?

Vernon Howells

So in my case was i experiencing PWS or actuall WS alert?

However if the windshear was displayed on the WXR, then that is probably what produced the alert.

To put it another way, if there was no other flight deck indication then the chances are the alert was produced by ASN. Only you know what you saw when you heard the alerts.

ki9cAAb.jpg