Sign in to follow this  
Harley7354

Norton Security apparently hates the PMDG "Operations Center".

Yesterday, I clicked on the operations center icon in my Win 8.1 computer and everything went well. It updated several items (I own the 737NGX and the 777). Last night Norton Security Center decided that the pmdg operations center was a "SONAR Heuristic 130 HIGH severity Risk" and blocked access. It did not offer a restore on this item. I did not restart my computer as it requested since I was not happy about the action, but today when I clicked on the icon for OP CTR it has lost itsfile location.

Any help on this short of re-downloading. I hate Norton when it does this sort of thing.

Joe Parker

Can you exclude certain files and folders from scanning? It would be worth excluding your FSX directory and any other FSX related programs from scanning. You should be able to reinstall it by running a repair of the 777 or 737 SP1D

That's OK,because everyone else hates Norton.Since you have 8.1,why the extra burden of NAV?

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

Well, I went into Norton and excluded the Microsoft Flight Simulator folder from any scans, but when I re-ran the PMDG_737_8900_NGX .zip file again Norton red flagged the program and I checked Run Anyway and don't scan this again. However, the Operations Center was still inoperable. I deleted the icons that reffered to it and Re-Re-ran - no joy.

I appreciate your help on this. As I've gotten older my computer skills have dimished considerably. I filed an e-ticket also.

Remove Norton. It is useless junk. I run with ESET NOD32 and have never had it interfere with FSX related products.

I run Win 7 w/ P3D on a SATA 3 SSD with zero other software save simulator add-ons like REX4, and dual boot to another drive for non-simulator PC use.  Since I don't web browse or run Office or other software on my sim drive there is no need for any security software.   I would argue because of the way SATA III SSD's work there is not a whole lot of value putting OS on one drive and sim on another as there was in the HDD days.  I have excellent performance putting the OS on Core0 and sim on Core1 thru Core12.

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

Hi..I had the same problem. There are 2 solutions:

Restart your computer as requested by Norton. The files will then be transferred to Norton Quarantine from where they can be restored using the "Restore" option. They will not be able to be restored until you restart your PC.

Second option is to exclude the PMDG Operations Center from Norton scanning activities (in the Norton Setup).

Regards...

Peter Webber

Prepar3D v5 & MSFS / Windows 10 Home Edition / CPU i7-7700K / MSI Z270 XPower Gaming Titanium / Samsung 970 EVO PLUS M.2 500GB / Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB 3000MHz / MSI Geforce GTX 1080Ti Gaming X

As mentioned, since Norton are determined to not allow you to exclude it, consider changing your antivirus. I use BitDefender. Runs silently in the background and also has game mode.

Thanks Everyone!

I got it re-installed by uninstalling ther 737NGX and re-installing. I will work on confining the Norton to be better behaved in the future.

Again, thanks for the help!

just use Microsoft security essentials and malware bytes...Norton block my fsx.exe after i installed flightbeam phoenix it said it was and updater and could potentially cause your computer to crash and not turn on. after that bull crap from Norton i uninstalled and emailed them, they emailed me back saying we are here just so we can protect your computer better than anyone else. i just replied back yeah so you cant use it. 

If Norton removes the Operstions Centre again, right click the Norton Icon on the right corner on the toolbar bottom of your screen.......select security history and you will find the Operations Centre file was quarantined. Click on that field and there is an option to restore the file as well as prevent norton quarantining the file again.

Roy

Roy Jordan

What arrogance!

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

I forgot to mention Joe, you should probably remove your email address from your original post. Not a good idea to put that out publicly.

Norton et al are for people who shouldn't be using a PC in the first place, not our crowd.

Norton is also a BIG resource hog, which is why just about every FS developer I've ever been in contact with has said to get rid of it. It's also, from what I've heard, far from the best product at keeping your PC clean and free of viruses/malware. Some free products work better than Norton. Do yourself a favour and get rid of it. TrendMicro is good, Kaspersky is supposed to be very, very good and it the one I'm thinking of moving to next when my TrendMicro subscription expires next month.