Sign in to follow this  
stevewhatmore

Anyway to make AI approach Airport from a particular direction

As title says.

ie, Paphos in Cyprus aircraft using R/W 29 always approach over the sea and not over the land. In FS9 the opposite happens always over the land.

Is there anyway that you can change this in FS9 so that AI approach in a direction that you want.

Steve

Yes you can edit the AFCAD file in ADE, AFX or whatever and close runway 11 for landing.

Perhaps Ive written this up incorrectly. The AI approach from the East heading towards Paphos. With active sky runway 29 is the active. Real world aircraft approach over the sea heading East. When around 8 miles out they will turn North and then onto the ILS. Cant seam to get AI to do this. They always head East over the land North of Paphos and turn South onto the ILS.

Steve

I see what you mean now, it's the approach to final which the AI are missing. There is a way to add the correct STAR as a scenery .bgl file to the airport scenery - you can either:

Use FS9 Facility editor by Alberto Molteni to create your own

or

Visit http://www.gbmitch.net/ to download a ready-made global .bgl file with 113000 waypoints.

I use both and they work for me. By the way, I can recommend McKenzie (or Makenzy) Beach at Larnaca for IRL spotting!

Wind direction is important for AI and flyable approaches at any airport.

If you're watching AI approaches from your flyable plane at e.g. Paphos, you should change the wind direction there and then (re-)save your "flight" so that your selected wind direction will also be saved. The next time you open your saved flight all AI approaches (and take offs) will be made according to the new and previously saved wind direction.

If you are flying to Paphos yourself from any other airport you should set the wind direction at Paphos first via the drop down weather map and then (re-)save your flight at your departure airport. The wind direction will now be saved at Paphos and you will be vectored there accordingly by ATC every time you open this specific flight. AI planes will be active at Paphos according to the same new wind direction every time you arrive there.

However, please be advised that you can only edit a wind direction either at your departure airport .... OR...... at your destination airport, never at both. A wind direction can (sadly) never be "fixed" at any airport itself but can only be saved together with your saved flight from or at whichever airport that may be.

I have no experience with Active Sky or it's relations with FS9, so I must assume here that Active Sky will overrule any FS9 wind direction editing procedures and should therefore have it's own editing possibilities with comparable results for AI and flyable plane approaches.

Hope this helps.

Hans

Yes you can edit the AFCAD file in ADE, AFX or whatever and close runway 11 for landing.

Many airports will operate strangely if you only close one end of the runway. It seems to work on some, but generally you do best to close both ends of a runway for either takeoff or landing.

Peter Schluter

Active Sky V6.5 and I assume ASE (that's the last and current FS9 product I believe) let's you create/modify weather separately at your departure and destination airport and other points along your route. I used a real world snapshot, loaded and processed the flight plan, then reversed by 180 degrees the surface winds (via the destination METAR edit, and updated the weather (in RAM). I fetched the METAR for the departure airport and it was still the same (as expected) but when I fetched the destination METAR it showed my wind direction modification.

In AS65 edits are done through the weather configurator.

Hi,

You can change the approach of AI aircraft *slightly*, if that runway has an ILS approach.  But keep in mind this will also change the GPS display for flyable aircraft.  If you use the Approach Mode of ADE and load the ILS approach, AI aircraft will fly to the IAP located on the main leg of the ILS approach.  So if you move that waypoint (or create another one and use that instead) over the sea, the aircraft will fly there.  Then they will fly a straight line (using the heading listed there) until they reach the extended centerline of the runway, turn to the runway heading, and land.