Sign in to follow this  
jbcallender

Scenery.cfg Question

If I delete scenery.cfg, will P3D rebuild it on startup?  I'm missing some default airport buildings and my FSDT airports seem to disappear.

Thanks, 

Jeff Callender

Thank you.  I ended up starting at the beginning and reinstalling P3D 2.5 and all addons.

Jeff Callender

Thank you. I ended up starting at the beginning and reinstalling P3D 2.5 and all addons.

Just for future knowledge, the scenery.cfg for P3DV2.5 will rebuild itself.  I moved my copy of the scenery.cfg and moved it to a temporary folder.  Started up P3D and a default scenery.cfg was rebuilt.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Just for future knowledge, the scenery.cfg for P3DV2.5 will rebuild itself.  I moved my copy of the scenery.cfg and moved it to a temporary folder.  Started up P3D and a default scenery.cfg was rebuilt.

..... but that new default scenery.cfg will be like a virgin only with the sceneries that originally came with P3D (up to Area 124)  - without any of the sceneries one had previously installed. One should also not forget that P3D 2.5 has now got "2" scenery.cfg files which are "interacting".

Jürgen Martens, DK7HN

..... but that new default scenery.cfg will be like a virgin only with the sceneries that originally came with P3D (up to Area 124)  - without any of the sceneries one had previously installed. One should also not forget that P3D 2.5 has now got "2" scenery.cfg files which are "interacting".

You can turn off the New Scenery convention in the SceneryConfigEditor and you'll only have one scenery.cfg for P3D (just found this out from a member myself).  Go to File>Edit>Preferences and turn off New Scenery convention.  Most P3D addon programs will back up your scenery.cfg if you install a new addon.  Just go into the P3D scenery.cfg folder and look for a recent one and you'll have most of your sceneries back.  You can regularly save a copy too.

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Thanks,  I also discovered that if you reduce the scenery complexity, some airport structures will go away....like Terminal "C" at KDFW for instance.  And the entire main terminal at KDCA!  That had me stumped for a while.  But I got it all back now.  I think I hear the bell tolling for FSX... 

Jeff Callender

Most P3D addon programs will back up your scenery.cfg if you install a new addon.  Just go into the P3D scenery.cfg folder and look for a recent one and you'll have most of your sceneries back.  You can regularly save a copy too.

Hi Jim,

many thanks for the information! That was very helpful, as I did run into a problem, where I could not see a former unselected scenery in the scenery library anymore.

I even run into a worse problem after installing the 2.5 hotfix (44) the "unable to read scenery.cfg" error. I used an earlier backup version, as you mentioned, and the problem is now solved.

Regards, Perry

You can turn off the New Scenery convention in the SceneryConfigEditor and you'll only have one scenery.cfg for P3D (just found this out from a member myself).  Go to File>Edit>Preferences and turn off New Scenery convention.  Most P3D addon programs will back up your scenery.cfg if you install a new addon.  Just go into the P3D scenery.cfg folder and look for a recent one and you'll have most of your sceneries back.  You can regularly save a copy too.

Best regards,

Your opinion...do you agree with the author's suggestion that using the NewScenery convention is the way to go?

Thanks.

Your opinion...do you agree with the author's suggestion that using the NewScenery convention is the way to go?

Thanks.

IMHO, I do not agree with it.  When I save a change in the scenery.cfg, I want to save a change in the scenery.cfg and not the NewScenery.cfg.  It appears the developer did this to save you from having a corrupted scenery.cfg.  He evidently does not know the default scenery.cfg is located in the same folder as the fsx.cfg and, if you move the scenery.cfg from the C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX\Scenery.cfg (hidden folder) to a temporary directory or rename it, FSX will use the 'dummy' scenery.cfg located in the same folder as the fsx.cfg and make a new scenery.cfg (albeit without your addons) when you restart FSX.  If that happens, all you would have to do is reattach all of your addon scenery to the rebuilt scenery.cfg (which can be tedious).  This is why Microsoft said when it first released FSX to leave the 'dummy' scenery.cfg in the fsx.cfg folder alone.  Do not edit it or delete it.  P3D will also rebuild your scenery.cfg if it becomes deleted or corrupted but it will not have all of the addons you have added.

With the newscenery.cfg convention enabled in the SceneryConfigEditor, I noticed that I had made changes to my scenery.cfg and added new scenery and then saved it.  When I started FSX, I saw no changes to my config.  I said huh?  I just added new scenery.  I go back to the SceneryConfigEditor and check it again and see that it was updated and the scenery was added.  Then, I looked up in the menu and saw that it was saving to NewScenery.cfg and not to Scenery.cfg.  So I went into the scenery.cfg folder and deleted the scenery.cfg and then renamed the NewScenery.cfg to Scenery.cfg.  Success!  New scenery added enabled.  So I know what the author is trying to do (save us from doing something wrong and corrupting the scenery.cfg) but it adds more steps to the process of adding scenery.

So, bottom line, the authors statement that "you want this to happen" (save to a NewScenery.cfg rather than scenery.cfg) is wrong and out-of-date.  If you have a lot of addons to your scenery.cfg, I recommend you back it up periodically manually by opening SceneryConfigEditor, then selecting File then 'Save As'.  FYI, whenever you install many new scenery programs like FSDT airports, their installer will make a backup for you.

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM

Best regards,

Finally found the answer to my problem.

I was seeing planes taxiing on non-existing taxiways and been looking for a solution everywhere, except here.

I have been wondering for some time now where that newscenery.cfg came from.

Thank you very much for this.

Merry Christmas

Leo de Haan

Scotland