Sign in to follow this  
Guest cw1011

Does this seem real to you!?

So did I when I first saw it.Supposedly taken from an aircraft flying directly overhead the runway while the aircraft taking off went into a rather steep climb.I suppose it's possible, but I'd think overflight of light aircraft would not be allowed during flight ops at low altitude...

Yep, was also my thinking that it wouldn't be allowed, especially for such a steep climb of an 747.And why do you think it's not - since you said "so did I when I first saw it"??But check few details: model itself, especially lead flaps. They look kinda edgy.

Guest danowat

Hmmm, looks fake to me, the scale of the 747 to the size of the runway looks way off.Dan.

You think 747 is too small?

Guest danowat

Yeah, looks way to small, either that or thats one big-#### 7 on the RWY LOLAlso the centre lines are nearly as wide as the enginesDan.

I just noticed this weird shadow. If it's in such steep climb and basically so far as it seems from the runway, and I don't think lens perspective are changing this, what's this huuuuuuuuuuuge shadow on the runway doing?? :)

Guest ismetM

It certainly doesn't look real to me. It strikes me as too sharp, too in focus. The leading edge flaps are in as sharp focus as the runway markings. Even with a small aperture I don't think the depth of field would be as good as this and no sign of any camera movement.........unless the taker had the camera mounted on a tripod and the 747 flew through its legs.....still, I'd be happy to be proved wrong!

I think its a real picture.If you actually check out the photos that the photographer has taken (clicking on his name on that picture link for example) you will see they are of very high quality and he also has taken quite a few aerial shots. He obviously due to the amount of pictures he has taken and the quality of them must do this for a living and also have very good high quality equipment.Craig

Guest crashing_pilot

it's real allright.if you check his name,you'll see there's more then one picture of this particular aircraft climbing out.he has many more shots made out of an overhead cessna.cheers

Guest Browneye

I know Sam, and its real alright...Hes a very talented photographerSteve Brown

And also, having a little GA plane in a position like that to take such a picture is not uncommon. If you've ever done a "Bay Tour" over San Francisco, you would find yourself at one point in perfect position to take such a picture as you follow the Bayshore freeway past SFO's 28L/R departure ends. The tower realizes that there is no way that a jumbo jet taking off could make your altitude in that distance and will often clear aircraft for takeoff while your little plane is still crossing the runway centerline. Also realize that when a jet rotates for takeoff, they will often pitch up to 14-18 degrees nose up atttitude, making a takeoff still photo look like a steep climbout while the actually flightpath may only be a 3-5 degrees climb gradient.

Looks bogus to me. But I did look at the guys other work, which is real enough. Man, that plane gets around...just looking at the other pics of her, this one flies regularly to Manchester, Amsterdam, Melbourne, Sydney, Zurich and Los Angeles (and back to Singapore!).Having been to Singapore a few times, I know its FAARRR Far away from most of these spots. Takes 23 hours of air travel to get from KATL to WSSS. (ATL is my home)Eric

rexesssig.jpg AND ftx_supporter_avsim.jpg

Guest ENZV

Sam Chui would never post a fake shot. I think its strange that you guys dont believe that this shot was taken from a Cessna, passing 3000 feet over LAX..

Well, I never heard of Sam Chui. I never look at who took the shot when I go to airliners.net. (no disrespect, I just havent up to now.) second, you have to admit thats a highly highly unusual attitude to take a picture from in this day of ultra high FAA security in the USA. Also the picture looks just a little too perfect. I say that as a tribute to Mr. Chui, not a criticism.Eric

rexesssig.jpg AND ftx_supporter_avsim.jpg