Sign in to follow this  
Dazkent

Should i upgrade to 2.5?

I am currently using version 2.4 and am very happy with the way P3D runs on my system, I understand that in order for me to upgrade to 2.5 I have to uninstall all my add ons and P3D itself and start from scrach?

As I have quite a few add ons ( lots of ORBX regions/ global and a few payware aircraft) Can anyone advise me if it's really worth upgrading or should I stick with 2.4 for now? The thought of starting again is not a pleasant one ,

flyuk_sig.php?id=UKV1523

My youtube channel

http://www.youtube.com/c/Dkentflyer

Arh go on, theres nothing like a fresh install and cleaning all the garbage out and spending days tweaking again. honestly if your happy with 2.4 then don`t go there, me personally! i waited until the P3d patches were done and all the addons caught up, its a dream for me, 2.5 is smooth and shadows work great, water glitches now fixed, i could go on for hours.

Good luck Dazza in whatever you decide.

Rick

tpewpb-6.png

It seems you have answered your own question. You are currently happy and don't want to re-install things.

If knowing that and it still bugs you enough to ask the question, then bite the bullet and re-install.

Life includes new experiences. 

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700F CPU @ 2.90GHz (8 cores) Hyper on, Evga RTX 3060 12 Gig, 32 GB ram, Windows 11, P3D v6, and MSFS 2020 and a couple of SSD's

I am currently using version 2.4 and am very happy with the way P3D runs on my system, I understand that in order for me to upgrade to 2.5 I have to uninstall all my add ons and P3D itself and start from scrach?

As I have quite a few add ons ( lots of ORBX regions/ global and a few payware aircraft) Can anyone advise me if it's really worth upgrading or should I stick with 2.4 for now? The thought of starting again is not a pleasant one ,

flyuk_sig.php?id=UKV1523

Well for me personal V2.5 is the first version mature enough that I migrated from FSX to P3D as main sim ;-)

André

If you are installing to the same folder, just do NOT delete the P3D folders left after install. Install 2.5 and the majority of your add-ons will work just fine.

If you change folders, or delete the P3D folder after uninstall - you start from scratch.

In my case, I had FTX Global, FSGlobal, Vector, UTX,OPenLC and several payware aircraft. Didn't have to reinstall anything.

Copy your dll.xml and exe.xml and the cfg files to make minor adjustments.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Well for me personal V2.5 is the first version mature enough that I migrated from FSX to P3D as main sim ;-)

Same here. I've had P3D since version 2.1, but 2.5 is the first version that I haven't stopped using and uninstalled within days due to bugs and issues.

Of course if you're happy with 2.4 and none of the fixes in the 2.5 release note are essential to you, you can stick with the older version for now.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

In the same vein, I was thinking about the 10 to 15 DVD files that made up the whole of FSGenesis Mesh, and wondered, should I keep my same scenery files or back them up so that I could overwrite the V2.5 scenery files?

Then, playing devils advocate with myself I said, "Chas, FSGenesis Mesh files have distinct file signatures...like FSGXXXDem.bgl...or something like that.

What about the different directories (folders) in which the FSG scenery files Reside?… Could you do an XCOPY /s? (I don't know if that DOS command even exists anymore)? I seem to remember that there were switches in the old xcopy to specifically copy files and their directory structure.

IF SO, then to just extract the current FS Genesis files for safe keeping, with their subdirectories, uninstall Prepar3d v2.4. install Prepar3d v2.5, and then copy the FSG files back into the new 2.5 scenery structure?

See Justin's OLLLLLD but still au courant, article about upgrading and FSGENESIS mesh , perhaps the single most important offering to enhance any flight simulator http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/content.php?13844-Introduction-To-Terrain-Mesh/view/3

I will paste his article here if AvSim book burns and deletes the above link.

....by the way please Google Justin, as he appears to have lost his @ss in the FS Genesis sale to the current company, which is NOT JUSTIN's...

Because of this transaction and, I am sure several others, he is or was homeless… If that can be imagined.

See

http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/content.php?13918-Interview-With-Justin-Tyme/view/2

http://www.toposim.net/blog/2014/12/18/starting-over-from-scratch/

Comments?

Chas

My first sim flight simulator pD25zEJ.jpg

Take a ride to Stinking Creek! http://youtu.be/YP3fxFqkBXg Win10 Pro, GeForce GTX 1080TI/Rizen5 5600x  OCd,32 GB RAM,3x1920 x 1080, 60Hz , 27" Dell TouchScreen,TM HOTAS Warthog,TrackIR5,Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals HP reverbG2,Quest2

You do realise you won't be able to install new scenery automatically though?  It would be a long winded exercise everytime, adding/ moving from different scenery.cfg's.

New Orbx releases would definitely be out though because of the change to FTX Central.

Oh, and greetings from a fellow UKV Pilot.  Currently over Greenland :) 

You do realise you won't be able to install new scenery automatically though?  It would be a long winded exercise everytime, adding/ moving from different scenery.cfg's.

New Orbx releases would definitely be out though because of the change to FTX Central.

You Tawkin ta me??? Huh?..ya Tawkin ta me?..

..grinnn

Chas

My first sim flight simulator pD25zEJ.jpg

Take a ride to Stinking Creek! http://youtu.be/YP3fxFqkBXg Win10 Pro, GeForce GTX 1080TI/Rizen5 5600x  OCd,32 GB RAM,3x1920 x 1080, 60Hz , 27" Dell TouchScreen,TM HOTAS Warthog,TrackIR5,Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals HP reverbG2,Quest2

Darran,

I am still using 2.4, and I have no intention of upgrading to 2.5. I really don't see the point when 2.4 is nice and stable for me. It isn't as if 2.5 has a massive number of new features or enhancements for the average flightsim user.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Carenado S550 for $19.99 - some nice sales - was not going to buy this but at this price may have to re-think it

http://www.pcaviator.com/store/home.php

Zinertek HD Airport Graphics V3 for $7.95 - bargain - all ready have it but great price for a great product

Rich Sennett

If you are installing to the same folder, just do NOT delete the P3D folders left after install. Install 2.5 and the majority of your add-ons will work just fine.

If you change folders, or delete the P3D folder after uninstall - you start from scratch.

In my case, I had FTX Global, FSGlobal, Vector, UTX,OPenLC and several payware aircraft. Didn't have to reinstall anything.

Copy your dll.xml and exe.xml and the cfg files to make minor adjustments.

Vic

I did exactly that and i can confirm it does work . Reinstalling doesn't seem to be a problem any more.

Mr Leny

CPU I7 8700K @ 5.0GHz , MOBO -Asus Maximus X Hero (WiFi AC),GPU - GTX1080 TI , RAM - CORSAIR Vengeance RGB 16GB DDR4 3600MHz
SSD -Crucial MX500 1TB (P3D Install Only)
OS- Samsung 960 EVO 500GB (Window 10 Pro 64)

That's a great offer, Glynn.....but I am not bothered about real world weather or a working weather radar at the moment.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

My Prepar3D installation was a mess.  After a year of fiddling with it I had a mess of planes that were either freeware, FSX transfers or paid.  I tried out some various scenarios, had some Oculus Rift apps, ect..  I had been working on slowly cleaning up the installation but would get sidetracked and not finished. 2.5 was a chance for me to work off a fresh install and only put on what over the last year I actually liked to mess with.  For me it's Orbx scenaries, ASN, Rex and a few payware planes.

As soon as I saw a majority of those things were supported I decided to make the move.  I had read it took people days to do this but for me it took 3 hours.  I uninstalled everything P3D related, deleted folders, ect.  As I installed each thing I booted up the application to make sure it worked and then I would move onto the next.  All in all it took less than 4 hours to complete everything.  A lot of the time was spent waiting on installs or downloads so may have been only an hour of actively installing things.

The only issues I had was having to manually move a terrain.cfg file for Orbx and patch ASN post 2nd P3D hotfix.  I also took account of what I installed and in what order.

- Prepar3D Academic
- FSUIPC
- Active Sky Next
- Rex 4 - Texture Direct 
- Orbx 
- Orbx Addon Airports
- Flight 1 GTN 650

Planes
- B/E 55
- RV4
- CE208
- Alabeo Waco