Sign in to follow this  
ohsirus

X-plane 10.40 New Weather Engine?

Good to hear he finally got tired of the bad weather modeling apparently.

Improvements to winds aloft are good, but much more is needed to fix the poor weather modeling.

We'll never get realistic weather systems like thunderstorms, until they replace the simplistic 3-layer weather model with something that can handle a single vertical cell system like that. Maybe it will change in v11, whenever that shows up.

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

Improvements to winds aloft are good, but much more is needed to fix the poor weather modeling.

We'll never get realistic weather systems like thunderstorms, until they replace the simplistic 3-layer weather model with something that can handle a single vertical cell system like that. Maybe it will change in v11, whenever that shows up.

Totally agree.

At least maybe there's hope that a whole new system might at least be on the table for v11.

It's always been odd to me that this isn't more of a priority. Realism in weather is simply essential to a flight simulator where the focus is on use as a training aid - which I've always felt is where x-plane fancied itself in the marketplace.

I see nothing in there related to visibility and loading more tiles to get rid of the vaseline horizon.  :angry:

Probably a little soon to judge but wasn't that supposed to be THE big update for 10.40?

Never mind at least his frickin' Lancair engines work like a dream...  :Cry:

(Bangs head repeatedly against wall)

I see nothing in there related to visibility and loading more tiles to get rid of the vaseline horizon.  :angry:

Probably a little soon to judge but wasn't that supposed to be THE big update for 10.40?

Since this is supposed to be a change log of Austin and the scenery stuff is done by Ben I guess these are only changes that Austin himself coded. No reason to worry.

Since this is supposed to be a change log of Austin and the scenery stuff is done by Ben I guess these are only changes that Austin himself coded. No reason to worry.

This seems correct, this build seems to only include Austin's changes and not all the other stuff discussed by Ben. I guess at some point they'll be added as well. Just to note, the same thing happened when testing 10.30, so don't worry, I'm sure the big changes will get in at some point

As I understood from someone that is testing , NOAA functions now comes by default.

Hope he also fixes the relation between  FF and Prop RPM in the PT-6-like free-running turboprops :-)

Looking promising!

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Never mind at least his frickin' Lancair engines work like a dream... :Cry:

(Bangs head repeatedly against wall)

Correctly working PT6 engines are indeed important, as a lot of turboprops with such engines exist. They are all wrong at the moment, but finally this could change soon.

Mario Donick .:. vFlyteAir

Correctly working PT6 engines are indeed important, as a lot of turboprops with such engines exist. They are all wrong at the moment, but finally this could change soon.

Yeah that's cool, I was just spitting my dummy out the pram lol!

If Ben's still working on the scenery stuff that's cool, I just thought when I read Austin's changes that that was all the 10.40 stuff.  :Doh:

hmmm

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

My usual base test for a Pt-6 like free running turbine is rather simple:

1) climb to cruise, use the AP or vly manually straight & level. Adjust power to get a stable speed then...

2) reduce Prop RPM and watch the FF ( fuel flow ) gauges.. 

3) increase Prop RPM and watch the FF gauges

Both 2) and 3) should get you constant FF...

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

I think we all agree with this.... the problem is that 'single vertical cell system' or something like that would probably kill fps. I don't know how FSX handle this.

hmm

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

the problem is that 'single vertical cell system' or something like that would probably kill fps. I don't know how FSX handle this.

If I am not mistaken it doesn't,  it just shows a nice flat picture of a thunderstorm ... . 

I don't think FSX has real 3D clouds, what you can observe if you pass a cloud in external view (flat bitmap rotating in relation to the cockpit).

X-Plane is different in that it tries to simulate real 3D clouds, but it kills fps.