Sign in to follow this  
ohsirus

X-plane 10.40 New Weather Engine?

I think we all agree with this.... the problem is that 'single vertical cell system' or something like that would probably kill fps. I don't know how FSX handle this.

With FSX, the more cloud/wind layers added, the worse the FPS was. 10.40 still seems to be limited to the 3, I guess such a change is quite major and would likely be pushed in another version (although I believe we will see it at some point). Although I think it would be nice to have unlimited wind layers as opposed to clouds, as such a change shouldn't kill FPS.

With FSX, the more cloud/wind layers added, the worse the FPS was. 10.40 still seems to be limited to the 3, I guess such a change is quite major and would likely be pushed in another version (although I believe we will see it at some point). Although I think it would be nice to have unlimited wind layers as opposed to clouds, as such a change shouldn't kill FPS.

You have a Mac why don't you try 10.40.

I am noticing some good stuff with autolod but don't know what it breaks.

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

You have a Mac why don't you try 10.40.

Is that you Ironmaiden? Yep, I already have 10.40 installed, but haven't gone through the testing list yet. I'm more interested to see if it breaks anything with World2XPlane, but since it only includes Austin's changes, there isn't much to test in this regard, it still all works nicely.

edit: Yep, I see it's you from your signature :-). 

Is that you Ironmaiden? Yep, I already have 10.40 installed, but haven't gone through the testing list yet. I'm more interested to see if it breaks anything with World2XPlane, but since it only includes Austin's changes, there isn't much to test in this regard, it still all works nicely.

edit: Yep, I see it's you from your signature :-). 

Yeah Ironmaiden.

Do you know Bruce Dickinson is also a commercial pilot. He flies their own jumbo.

Why not try W2XP with 10.40. If they are also saying better fps

I am losing interest in XPX now.

Why not try W2XP with 10.40. If they are also saying better fps

I have, and I see a improvement in FPS all around. It suspect it's been fixed to work in Mac OS 10.10. But saw a climb of 4-5fps.

I have, and I see a improvement in FPS all around. It suspect it's been fixed to work in Mac OS 10.10. But saw a climb of 4-5fps.

4-5 fps is not bad. I honestly feel that is good with clouds . That means it would be very much flyable on my laptop and also very good on the desktop.

I getting some interest back in XPX :)

I getting some interest back in XPX :)

I always found that whenever I'm feeling fed up with XPX, I'll leave it for a week or so (and might use P3D or nothing at all). Once I go back to it, I'm always surprised again how nice it looks. 

I always found that whenever I'm feeling fed up with XPX, I'll leave it for a week or so (and might use P3D or nothing at all). Once I go back to it, I'm always surprised again how nice it looks. 

True. 

But I am losing interest in XPX due to the fact that it lacks stuff which are needed just puts me off.

I go and connect my laptop to my 40 " Sony and use FS9 on that big display . I really enjoy it. But there is a problem with the color than on the HDMI.

Ah going OFF TOPIC SORRY.

BACK TO THE TOPIC 10.40.

Can you post some weather stuff from 10.40 like a screenie ?

Can you load more clouds ? Can't you try the default clouds rather than SKYmaxxx ?

Can you post some weather stuff from 10.40 like a screenie ?

Can you load more clouds ? Can't you try the default clouds rather than SKYmaxxx ?

Weather is just winds aloft, not much to post in a screenshot. I'll try the clouds later when I get back and see if they're improved (But don't think they are). The fog looks better though

Weather is just winds aloft, not much to post in a screenshot. I'll try the clouds later when I get back and see if they're improved (But don't think they are). The fog looks better though

the FOG!

So new fog code might be already in?

Does it still behave like a walking wall or it feels more 3D?

the FOG!
So new fog code might be already in?
Does it still behave like a walking wall or it feels more 3D?

I'll post a screenshot later, as I don't normally use the fog, someone can comment on it and let us know. It looked much better than I remember it though, i.e. It actually looked like 3D fog.

What 3d fog. I like current one too.  It's not bad.

I didn't say the fog was 3D, I just said looks good to me. Will check when I get back later and see if there is actually a difference. I have both 10.35 and 10.40 installed.

I'd like to point to the fact that Frede alone wrote the words "Weather engine". Nothing in the changelog nor in Austin's prose suggests a weather engine overhaul. Only winds aloft (which is great by itself). That's just Frede trying to get some attention :lol: .

Anyway, the changelog is full of good things. That's probably Austin's recent changes. Is he back to work ? :P BTW, someone has any news from the lawsuit ?

Pascal

That's probably Austin's recent changes. Is he back to work ?

And PMDG requesting for a more sound base of work for their line of x-plane products, IMO.... That dc-6 is moving mountains :-) - just my theory!

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...