Sign in to follow this  
ohsirus

FSX-SE 2014 Sales Numbers

Way to go FSX-SE  215,000 owners for 2014!

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2015/03/steam-gauge-measuring-the-most-popular-steam-games-of-2014/3/

#     TITLE                                                             RELEASE  PLAYERS  OWNERS TOTAL HOURS         DEVELOPER                PUBLISHER

128 Microsoft Flight Simulator X: Steam Edition 12/18/2014 154512         215371         1480750      Microsoft Game Studios  Dovetail Games - Flight

Interesting that about 1/3 of the owners have never "played" it.

regards,

Joe

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif

i'm one of them :P

Bought but never 'played'. Will have a look sometime when I do my next re-install.

Boxed FSX is what I am currently using.

i'm one of them

And me, and now I am aware of the shockingly poor "deals" they are offering Devs I probably won't bother.

Interesting... FSX Steam finished behind Farming Simulator (of course it had a slight head start on release dates).

Time to park this 777 and hop in my John Deere combine I suppose :lol:

Chris Sunseri

regards,

Joe

Seems normal when looking at the other titles.

Bought it, tried it, went back to original FSX. 

I have it looking and flying too good to change.

jime

Banner_MJC5.png

James D. Edwards

Time to park this 777 and hop in my John Deere combine I suppose

Probably it is best to go from the airport to the crop fields by "Train Simulator 2015"... :lol:

But seriously: this cross simulator activity will become a "reality" one day. It reminds me of an interview with ORBX founder John Venema, in which he talked about the ever growing immersion into the simulated world(s).

So leaving the plane after a flight, walking to the parking lot, simulating a car ride (and so on) will be made possible (soon).

Probably a place like "steam" will be/is one of the centers for this development.

I am still wondering about the outcome of Mark Zuckerberg's vision of 3D virtual worlds, after having bought Oculus:

https://www.facebook.com/zuck/posts/10101319050523971

When you think that the product was only released on Dec 18th, it blows me away that FSX sales are that high.  Watch out for 2015.  I recently built a new computer and installed Steam.  So far, I think it has gone quite well.

While many people bought the software just because it was cheap I'm confident many of those buyers will end up liking it & eventually get deeper into the flight sim hobby. FSX & X Plane being available on Steam has certainly increased the accessibility of FS hobby a lot compared to what it was a year or two go. 

regards,

Joe

I'm one of them.  :P Haven't even installed it yet.

Probably it is best to go from the airport to the crop fields by "Train Simulator 2015"... :lol:

But seriously: this cross simulator activity will become a "reality" one day. It reminds me of an interview with ORBX founder John Venema, in which he talked about the ever growing immersion into the simulated world(s).

So leaving the plane after a flight, walking to the parking lot, simulating a car ride (and so on) will be made possible (soon).

Probably a place like "steam" will be/is one of the centers for this development.

I am still wondering about the outcome of Mark Zuckerberg's vision of 3D virtual worlds, after having bought Oculus:

https://www.facebook.com/zuck/posts/10101319050523971

Yup, we had that kind of immersion with FS9 a long time ago.

Developers like Bill Lyons & William Ortis (Lionheart), many years ago did freeware releases like that. Bill Lyons's releases often included a car, boat & plane, with a suitable 'mission'. Lionheart had amazing stuff such as "Operation Valkyrie" & also a Bugatti adventure. All these had a storyline where you could sail, drive & fly. Operation Valkyrie was a story about a pilot joining the Luftwaffa, also with an amazing selection of period unique planes, cars & even a submarine.

Great stuff in the good old days!

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

Two questions occur to me:-

How does this compare to sales of the boxed versions? I don't think MS have ever released sales figures though I've seen an unsubstantiated figure of 250k quoted elsewhere

How many purchases already own a box version and how many are newcomers? I doubt that that question will ever be answered.

How does this compare to sales of the boxed versions?

Not even close according to MS back in the day.

I wonder how many of these sales were made during the Steam's Winter Sale and whether DTG already recuperated the costs of licensing FSX from MS or not.

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days