Sign in to follow this  
Kyprianos Biris

WX Radar guide

With SP1d its amazing we can now use WX radar with ASN, thank you !

Is there any guide as to its operation ?

I get to see precipitation when in the area, this works fine.

Does the Terrain radar feature work ?

More specifically I am interested in the differences between MAP ,TFR and GC modes.

Also isn't there a OFF, standby, ON mode ?

I see only an AUTO Switch which pops in or out.

Hellenic vACC - Olympic Aegean Virtual

Prepar3D 5.3 | CPU i9 10900K | VGA: RTX 3070 | RAM: 32GB DDR4 | Monitor: 3440x1440

I'm glad someone finally asked, a guide to use for the operation of the WXR radar would be great. There's a lot of buttons that do a lot of things where I see changes, but I don't know what I'm looking at.

Hello !

Where and how did you download it ? I'm currently logged in with my account and don't see any link.

Thanks,

Hi Guys,

There is an almost identical thread to this already. As far as I'm aware there is no NGX-specific guide at this point, however there are a few helpful documents floating around with applicable information. Such as:

http://www.airbus.com/fileadmin/media_gallery/files/safety_library_items/AirbusSafetyLib_-FLT_OPS-ADV_WX-SEQ07.pdf

http://code7700.com/radar_tilt.html

And of course Kyle's extremely helpful tutorial:

youtube.com/watch?v=B3_o3jVUK6A

Other thread located here:

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/463880-wx-radar-guide/

Thanks to the original posters.

Does the Terrain radar feature work ?

More specifically I am interested in the differences between MAP ,TFR and GC modes.

Also isn't there a OFF, standby, ON mode ?

OK I saw the suggested resources but still there is no answer to the above. Any feedback from PMDG on this would be appreciated

This feature is modeled in an excellent way in the FlyTheMadDog Leonardo MD82 and the Majestic Dash8 Q400 weather radars.

Excellent PMDG work on ASN feed for precipitation returns but I guess that terrain returns radar is not modeled then (I tried it in practice in NGX SP1d but no joy).

Also in principal you don't operate the radar while on ground due to its radiation, that is why I am wondering whether you have a way of switching it between OFF, STANDBY (warm up) and ON status in the PMDG model as I have seen in other airborne weather radar units (not linked to ASN but using FSX clouds - I know not as good as ASN vertical weather data feed) like the standalone gauges on sale by CaptainSim and RealityXP or the MD82 and Q400 mentioned above.

Prepar3D 5.3 | CPU i9 10900K | VGA: RTX 3070 | RAM: 32GB DDR4 | Monitor: 3440x1440

Kyp,

Terrain feature on WX radar does not work. If I am not mistaken there are plans to make it available in the future.

As for the ON STB etc. Again if I am not mistaken there is no STB on the real counterpart of that Wx Radar model.

(I might be wrong though :) ). Each radar system works differently

You press the Wx on EFIS and the radar turns on, press Wx again and is off.

Chris Makris

PLEASE NOTE PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at http://forum.pmdg.com

Thank you Chris B)

I thought that the WXR switch was just a Display ON or OFF filter.

Fingers crossed then for future ground mapping (see below) addition in the radar to make it ultra realistic.

Here's the real Rockwell Collins WXR-2100 radar Quick Reference Guide which explains the functions.

If you do not read it you may for example press the TFR switch and keep wondering why changes (key presses) in your side have no effect on what you see in your ND (which is what happened to me yesterday and initiated the posting of this thread :rolleyes: )