Sign in to follow this  
G-YMML1

Ultimate Terrain vs. ORBX products

Flic1, 

I find it interesting that you prefer the default P3D night textures over any addons.  I agree they do provide a nice orange glow at a distance, but what distance are you talking about... 20,000 feet, 30 miles away? 

When you get close, say approach or on final don't you find them unrealistically bright?  Again, just seeking your own personal opinion on this as I said I find simmer's comments on night lighting (what works for them or not), very interesting because of a project I am working on.

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

so UTX better then FTX ?

IMHO, yes.

Re; UTX Alaska - Allen is taking a well deserved vacation for a week but will be back at it soon. All the UTX areas are scheduled for updates to P3D down the line. I have no info as to which order they will be released. I do know that the first order of business will be the updated installer for UTX USA 2.0.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

so UTX better then FTX ?

They are both good just personal preference - there is no FTX vector for the USA so I thought I would try it and so glad I did - also keep in mind I have not seen one decent screenshot of UTX V2 USA or Europe that shows how good it is - after I load it into P3D 2.5 I will post some shots its excellent - side note you will see a performance hit with FTX Vector and not with UTX V2 at least on my rig - I do not have Europe yet so cant comment on that yet

Rich Sennett

i will like to see screenshot richard if possible. im from canada theres for Canada to?

here is no FTX vector for the USA

I am assuming you mean there is no FTX OpenLC NA yet, right?  FTX Vector is for the whole world, isn't it?  Or have I been thinking wrong this entire time?  :)

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

"Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings" - Shapiro2024

I'm wondering if they have UT Canada in plans. Badly needed for the chain of CYVR/CYYZ/CYUL sceneries.

Amazingly, but after many years of ignoring Canada in FS, developers now bring all 3 major hubs in P3D. Well-deserved.

I am assuming you mean there is no FTX OpenLC NA yet, right?  FTX Vector is for the whole world, isn't it?  Or have I been thinking wrong this entire time?  :)

Yes you are correct Kevin sorry about that - so I use UTX V2 USA  - FSgenesis Mesh and FTX Global for textures - thats it until I purchase UTX V2 Europe 

As for Canada I would assume that will be in the works also

Rich Sennett

Thanks, interesting thread.  Am currently using FTX Global + Vector, but am still fine-tuning a new install and am open to anything that improves performance.  Happy to try an FTX Global plus UTX combination.

Ugh.  Threads like this make me sick to my stomach.  Jumped the boat into Prepar3d this past month.  Waited for 2.5 to come out.  UTX didn't have anything for Prepar3d and wasn't sure they would with the whole EULA thing..blah blah.  So I went with ORBX Global and Vector with a SceneryTech LC and FSGenesis Mesh (from my FSX days back several years).  I think it looks OK, but it seems there is always something new around the corner with this stuff.

Looked for a nice CRJ, Wilco's was all that was out, and now I see Aerosoft is releasing one soon.  I just just quit trying!  LOL.

Regardless I have ORBX Global + Vector + Scenerytech LC + FSGenesis 2.0 Mesh.  And so far I am happy.  I get a nice steady 25fps in my system in the areas I fly so I won't complain.

Building a full scale 737-800 Simulator running P3D v5.x 210 degree wrap around screenspacer.png

Jason Lohrenz (@lohrenz737) • Instagram photos and videos

Lohrenz 737 Simulator Project (lohrenzsimulator.com)

Thanks, interesting thread.  Am currently using FTX Global + Vector, but am still fine-tuning a new install and am open to anything that improves performance.  Happy to try an FTX Global plus UTX combination.

Alan - FTX Global plus UTX combination - exactly what I do but I have not tried to load it in a patched p3d 2.5 yet - hoping that wont be to much of a pain just

Rich Sennett

hoping that wont be to much of a pain

Was just reading the workaround instructions over at Simforum and it seems like a pretty straightforward process - swap the terrain.cfg into the P3D root directory, install UTX, swap the .cfg back to program data.  I may give it a shot. On the other hand, it sounds like UTX 2.1 isn't that far off, so it shouldn't be a huge deal to wait for the patched installer.  

Was just reading the workaround instructions over at Simforum and it seems like a pretty straightforward process - swap the terrain.cfg into the P3D root directory, install UTX, swap the .cfg back to program data.  I may give it a shot. On the other hand, it sounds like UTX 2.1 isn't that far off, so it shouldn't be a huge deal to wait for the patched installer.  

Thanks Alan - yah may just do what you posted as I do not like waiting :) - thanks Pal

Rich Sennett

Flic1, 

I find it interesting that you prefer the default P3D night textures over any addons.  I agree they do provide a nice orange glow at a distance, but what distance are you talking about... 20,000 feet, 30 miles away? 

When you get close, say approach or on final don't you find them unrealistically bright?  Again, just seeking your own personal opinion on this as I said I find simmer's comments on night lighting (what works for them or not), very interesting because of a project I am working on.

I do mostly airliner flying over 30k feet so I like the orange glow beneath.  I think the best combo I have seen so far (including FS9,FSX and FSX w/DX10) is the default P3D night textures along with UTX 2.0 that has the 3D lights.  I guess I'm getting the best of both worlds with the nice visual above and from afar (yes, 30 or so miles is about right for clear wx).  Once down at the lower altitudes, the UTX lights come into play and provide that immersive effect.  I certainly don't think the P3D night textures are too bright but maybe that is just my monitor settings?  I keep brightness at 20 and contrast at 80. Seems to be the best balance I have found for mine at least!  I was actually testing UTX  Europe 2.0 around EDDF last night (also night in the sim) and even my wife stopped and said 'wow!' as I was on approach.... :blink:

Eric

i9-12900k, RTX 3080ti FTW, 32GB ddr5 5600 RAM, 2TB 980 Pro SSD, H100i AIO, Samsung CRG90 49", Win 11