Sign in to follow this  
G-YMML1

Ultimate Terrain vs. ORBX products

If you get the chance please could you post some screen shots of that glow

I would also be interested to see how it looks like. Orbx FTX Global lighting sucks big time when flying tubeliners as the lights only show underneath the aircraft. So basically when looking out of the cockpit window you only see darkness. Would be great if UTX provides lights that can be seen further into the distance. Problem with Orbx really is that the devs at Orbx are all GA flyer. When staying low and slow the Orbx stuff is great. But for tubes it just doesn't cut it.

Is it possible to install UTX such that one uses UTX Europe when flying in Europe and FTX Vector when flying in the rest of the world? I would assume it's just a matter of ordering in the scenery.cfg and enabling/disabling certain things depending on the flight you want to do. But would be great to hear if someone uses this combination.

i7-10700K@5.0GHz ∣ Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z490-E Gaming ∣ 32Gb@3600MHz ∣ AMD Radeon 6900 XT

Oh it glows my friend - let me see if I can hack an install of UTX V2 USA without official install - not sure if i will be able to setup the lights as reported by a posted by Eric not looking to mess up my P3D 2.5 install - have to see how things go but i will if I can - have to hit simforums to see how i can get it loaded

I have a couple comparison shots of FTXG night vs P3D defaut/UTX 2.0 night from about 10k feet but not sure how to post them...???

Eric

i9-12900k, RTX 3080ti FTW, 32GB ddr5 5600 RAM, 2TB 980 Pro SSD, H100i AIO, Samsung CRG90 49", Win 11

I have a couple comparison shots of FTXG night vs P3D defaut/UTX 2.0 night from about 10k feet but not sure how to post them...???

Go here:

http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/

Once the file is uploaded select the IMG embedded URL from the drop-down and paste it into the message you post here on AVSIM. That should work.

EDIT: Sorry, I guess the URL format is called "BBCode embedded"

Edited by carlito777

i7-10700K@5.0GHz ∣ Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z490-E Gaming ∣ 32Gb@3600MHz ∣ AMD Radeon 6900 XT

That would be a great help as I am going to patch my 2.5 and try doing it without uninstalling anything so thanks

Rich Sennett

Hey guys - Hope these links work!  These are a few shots around Baltimore at various altitudes.  The first (really dark one!) is FTX Global night textures only.  The rest are default P3D 2.5 with UTX 2.0:

http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/images/2015/03/11/Balt1.jpg

http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/images/2015/03/11/Balt2.jpg

http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/images/2015/03/11/Balt3.jpg

http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/images/2015/03/11/Balt4.jpg

http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/images/2015/03/11/Balt5.jpg

Thanks Carlo for that site! If anybody wants to see a certain area...let me know and I can grab a shot!

Eric

Eric

i9-12900k, RTX 3080ti FTW, 32GB ddr5 5600 RAM, 2TB 980 Pro SSD, H100i AIO, Samsung CRG90 49", Win 11

Hmmmm.....interesting.  So what coverage is available with UTX 2.0?

FaxCap

It covers USA - nice shots but I saw way better in my setup may be the way I setup the lights as it is a bit time consuming and still have to get the basics working before trying to get UTX V2 working but not ready to install it as I just applied 2.5 patches and rex textures and water looks a bit weird so may have to start fresh again - I will eventually post how to setup the lights pic tutorial

Also on a side note took up the PMDG T777 and was getting 35 in VC and 55 to 65 fps in heavy clouds - not bad with no tweaks - expecting NGX will be way better but not loaded up yet

Rich Sennett

This is definitely not easy or obvious to see UTX as better visually anyway  At least from my eyes.  I think it was stated earlier and I'll say it again, I have yet to see any pics of UTX that show they are definitely better than FTXGlobal visually.  I'm not saying Global is better though either.  I just haven't seen any images that have blown me away.

As for not seeing Global lights in the distance, isn't that dependent on your LOD setting?  Or, will UTX show you lights as far as the eye can see no matter what you use for LOD?  That would be a huge plus!

And, one more thing, in my searching in regards to UTX vs Vector so far, the numbers I'm seeing is that for VAS, UTX is about half what Vector is.  Is this correct and about what you guys have seen?  It would make sense that UTX is less as it is less of a coverage area - even with both NA and EU, it should still be less than Vector as Vector is the entire world.  Having said that, if that can be verified, that would be reason enough for me to purchase.  I do 95% of my flying in EU or NA.  Once in a while I'll fly the T7.  When I do that, then I could just turn Vector back on when flying out of EU/NA areas.  That's my plan anyway.

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

"Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings" - Shapiro2024

This is definitely not easy or obvious to see UTX as better visually anyway At least from my eyes. I think it was stated earlier and I'll say it again, I have yet to see any pics of UTX that show they are definitely better than FTXGlobal visually. I'm not saying Global is better though either. I just haven't seen any images that have blown me away.

Kevin - UTX and FTX Global are 2 different products.  FTX Global puts down the ground textures (and the random 3D lighting).  UTX is a Vector product and would be compared to ORBX Vector.  You can certainly use FTX Global along with UTX as I had been doing that in FSX up until I swtich to P3D recently. What I was trying to show in the pics was the lack of decent night textures in FTX Global.  The 3D lights are nice down low but cities look dark when you fly over them at higher altitudes. Vector was a huge issue for me when I used it in FSX, I had VAS problems but the bigger problem was the FPS hit and stuttering it caused.  I think the UTX lights are visible about the same distance as ORBX Vector.  I have not yet found a way to make them appear further out.

Eric

The above opinions are very helpful. Thanks.

I'm going to start improving my default FSX SE. I love flying New Zealand/Australia and am considering the GEX version. Since GEX USA  is used in conjunction with UTX USA, what additional package for terrain/vector should be used with GEX Au/NZ since there is no UTX for that region?

Thanks for the suggestions,

Jim D.

P.S. I've looked at ORBIX and VLC but seem to be leaning toward GEX. Some of your thoughts are appreciated. Also looked at GODZONE Photo real but I like to have all the seasons. Again, opinions are welcome.

Kevin - UTX and FTX Global are 2 different products.  FTX Global puts down the ground textures (and the random 3D lighting).  UTX is a Vector product and would be compared to ORBX Vector.  You can certainly use FTX Global along with UTX as I had been doing that in FSX up until I swtich to P3D recently. What I was trying to show in the pics was the lack of decent night textures in FTX Global.  The 3D lights are nice down low but cities look dark when you fly over them at higher altitudes. Vector was a huge issue for me when I used it in FSX, I had VAS problems but the bigger problem was the FPS hit and stuttering it caused.  I think the UTX lights are visible about the same distance as ORBX Vector.  I have not yet found a way to make them appear further out.

Thanks.  Yes, I am aware that UTX and Global are two different products.  That's probably why this is a hard thing to really show who's better.  What we really need to see are actual vector data of an area and then compare which one(UTX or Vector) depicts that area better in the sim.  So, I guess that's more what I mean by there haven't been any pics that have blown me away.  I should say that I don't expect there to be as visually, there's really not going to be any dramatic difference.  It's only going to be if you are familiar enough with an area or have real data for an area that you can compare the accuracy of the vector data between the two.

Maybe the night lighting though can be compared visually.  But, even there, I don't see anything that "blows me away".  It's just preference.

So, in the end, it will really come down to VAS for me.  If I can save 400M of VAS by using UTX EU when I'm flying only in Europe rather than Vector which covers way more of an area than I'll ever see when only flying in Europe, then I'd buy it.

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

"Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings" - Shapiro2024

I found both the brightness and size a little too bright and large in UTX2.

Reducing Diffusion to 50% and Object size to 0.7, looks a bit more realistic.

And, one more thing, in my searching in regards to UTX vs Vector so far, the numbers I'm seeing is that for VAS, UTX is about half what Vector is. Is this correct and about what you guys have seen? It would make sense that UTX is less as it is less of a coverage area - even with both NA and EU, it should still be less than Vector as Vector is the entire world.

UTX has results of VAS testing in their forum. Others have also noted it uses less.

It has really nothing to do with total coverage - if you are flying in USA the fact that Vector also covers China has no effect - it's only the USA component that's relevant.

In the areas currently covered in P3D (USA + Europe) UTX uses less VAS than Vector.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

I have seen hints that UTX v2 will be also  be released for Canada. Can anyone confirm this? The reason I ask, is that originally, there were no plans to do so. If Canada does get supported, I'd be happy to purchase the entire collection. Otherwise...uh-uh. I know that seems unnecessarily nationalistic, but I don't purchase scenery that doesn't support my country. I hope Canada will be included. I place a lot of stake in Sennetts' opinion on things and would like to have the opportunity to enjoy the scenery.

Thanks

Only confirmation is that they have said that they are working on their additional areas to convert to P3D. The next order of business is the new installer for UTX USA 2.1 - then the other areas but no indication as to order of release.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors