Sign in to follow this  
Capt Speirs

Jack of all Trades, Master of None!

Nice post Lewis. You can now have a well deserved lie down. :smile:

Good advice from Fr. Bill and Lewis.

Far too to buy a new plane than to deeply study one you already have.

Very worthy advice.

I'll admit that as much as I like the idea of 'study sims' like the Q400 or the NGX, I have a hard time with them. I spend a few weeks learning them, starting to get the hang of it, and then I get itchy to fly something else just for a change, and a few random planes later, I find I've lost the basic knowledge to operate them and I have to start from square one again.

And because you need a certain level of knowledge to even get them up in the air, it ends up being crippling to my limited flying time, since I'm then back to studying the start-up procedures.

If I could stick to one or two of those, I'd get much more out of them. However, there's so much great stuff being released on a constant basis, that the temptation to buy and try the latest and greatest is just too much!

So, I've just learned to stick with in-depth renditions of more non-complex planes.  Stuff like the A2A Cherokee or 182, where you still need to learn what to do, but once learned, it's easier to retain.  The Twin Otter fits the bill too; there's a bit of depth there, but as long as you follow the rules, it's an easy plane to operate.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

Nice one Lewis - That is how I - relearned - to fly.

Once long ago I was in one of the commercial jobbies and got dropped off by Radar Contact in the middle of no where. Then I discovered without real world knowledge of navigation I was totally lost.

Then I decided to go back to basics and studied.

I soon discovered that I really enjoyed navigation. 1st went to WW2 technology - Dead reckoning, use of timers, nav. ref. points. It really saved me (virtually) when I ran into a white out heading from PAKT to PAJN. I was able to just use a stop watch, headings all adjusted for wind (no VORs or DME). Brought me right into the PAJN airspace while in a non IFR AC (in real world would have been illegal with my VFR flight plan).

That is where the satisfaction comes in for me. When I did my reinstall I only installed the J4100. It is fun to have something that bites back if not used properly.

I now spend an hour planning, setting up paper charts and plates, checking FAA cameras and weather. The fun comes in from the execution of the flight more than the plane systems.

Admittedly I am OCD. I only fly one area, one plane. 1-2 hour flights each night. I shoot arrivals and approaches until perfected. Most of the time not even using the FMC.

Rob

"Life is 10% what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it"

Good to know, thanks, I did just that. Now I would like to move the "Default" aircraft or is that not a good idea?

For the 'default' aircraft I suggest leaving them alone. If you don't want to "see them" in the list of aircraft, rename their panel folders to something like ..\panel.backup or something similar.

This will allow the sim to "see them" but hide them from your view. Too many non-default aircraft make use of some of their 'parts' via an alias to make moving them to your ..\AircraftHanger folder safe.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

For the 'default' aircraft I suggest leaving them alone. If you don't want to "see them" in the list of aircraft, rename their panel folders to something like ..\panel.backup or something similar.

This will allow the sim to "see them" but hide them from your view. Too many non-default aircraft make use of some of their 'parts' via an alias to make moving them to your ..\AircraftHanger folder safe.

I thought so, thanks. Now I am going to pick one, get to know her well and when I get bored with her, change of scenery (as TJ mentioned), instead of plane.