Sign in to follow this  
virginblue737

Should you use Nvidia inspector

Hey all, 

Been reading around quite abit and it seems that there is a mix vote. Some saying to use Nvidea inspector and others saying its best to not.

Whats everyones opinions? And settings ?

Using Just P3D out of the box Jack. Not one tweak. Getting great performance. Have removed Nvidia Insp the same time I deleted FSX.

Of course, it depends on your system. I am only running a GTX 580 1.5 GB Vram, and I get very little shimmering, and no OOM's with the NGX and T7.

I have most of the eye candy enabled, so very pleased. Just test without NI and see what happens.

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

Using Just P3D out of the box Jack. Not one tweak. Getting great performance. Have removed Nvidia Insp the same time I deleted FSX.

Of course, it depends on your system. I am only running a GTX 580 1.5 GB Vram, and I get very little shimmering, and no OOM's with the NGX and T7.

I have most of the eye candy enabled, so very pleased. Just test without NI and see what happens.

Cheers Julian, gonna give it a go 

Good question.  When it comes to this issue, there are only a handful of people actually  know what they are talking about, but for the most part it does seem fairly hit and miss.  The neat recipe which existed for FSX graphics' nirvana' doesn't seem to apply here.  I've chosen not to use NI, and although my graphics are not bad, they are certainly a far cry from what I was used to with FSX.  I'm kind of at a loss myself because I honestly don't know enough about what the different graphics settings are supposed to do

I look forward to a P3D specifc profile backed by Nvidia

but for the most part it does seem fairly hit and miss

I have to agree with that. It took a wee while to get the sliders in the correct position till I was happy, all the time avoiding applying any tweaks, or turning to NVI to make those fine adjustments.

I was also concerned about using my current video card, as it is getting on a bit, 3 years is old in the computer world. But, I have been pleasantly surprised, in fact gob smacked to be honest, I have never known it to be so smooth. Not even a micro stutter.

The only thing I have turned off is HDR, and Terrain shadows. Cloud shadows on, using ASN.Below is a fsuipc log of my last flight from FSDT to TJSJ

I had 1.3 GB VAS remaining on arrival at TJSJ in the NGX,  quiet amazing when you consider no tweaking on a 3 year old system.

198781 Running in "Lockheed Martin® Prepar3D® v2", Version: 2.5.12944.0 (SimConnect: 2.5.0.0)

198781 Initialising SimConnect data requests now

198781 FSUIPC Menu entry added

198781 C:\Users\FSX\Documents\Prepar3D v2 Files\KIAHTJSJ01.pln

198797 C:\Users\FSX\Documents\Prepar3D v2 Files\KIAHTJSJ01.pln

200000 System time = 09/03/2015 16:12:04, Simulator time = 08:21:13 (14:21Z)

983890 C:\Users\FSX\Documents\Prepar3D v2 Files\EFB_current_garmin.pln

1358656 C:\Users\FSX\Documents\Prepar3D v2 Files\EFB_current_garmin.pln

12117500 C:\Users\FSX\Documents\Prepar3D v2 Files\EFB_current_garmin.pln

12135297 C:\Users\FSX\Documents\Prepar3D v2 Files\EFB_current_garmin.pln

22604531 Sim stopped: average frame rate for last 22406 secs = 34.6 fps

22652812 System time = 09/03/2015 22:26:17, Simulator time = 16:11:01 (20:11Z)

22652812 *** FSUIPC log file being closed

Minimum frame rate was 16.6 fps, Maximum was 49.2 fps

Minimum available memory recorded was 1020Mb

Average frame rate for running time of 22433 secs = 34.6 fps

Memory managed: 10797 Allocs, 10797 Freed

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

It's not "hit and miss" at all. The confusion arises because P3D is DX11 and that is more like FSX DX10 than FSX DX9. Using NI like we did with FSX DX9 does not work, because DX10 and DX11 graphics are produced in a slightly different way internally than DX9 graphics. The old NI FSX DX9 settings won't work, but there is just as neat a recipe for P3D (and FSX DX10) as there is for FSX DX9, and just the same, you'll need to use NI for the best visual settings. Currently there are some issues with supersampling in P3D/NVidia, for the best results read more about using NI for DX9, DX10, and DX11 here

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Currently there are some issues with supersampling in P3D/NVidia, for the best results read more about using NI for DX9, DX10, and DX11 here

Thanks for the link Steve. Will look into that.

Hey Julian.

It covers settings that are generally repeatable across all modern PC systems with nvidia cards.

Regards Steve.

I started a similar topic a couple of weeks back thinking I might gain more Performance but it was suggested to me to use PD3 out of the box no tweaks. Im happy with my choice.

In saying that, some folks swear by it. You gotta know your stuff if your gonna tweak.

Some aspects of DX10 and DX11 graphics actually require the use of NI to set up the GPU, to improve the visual quality of some objects. If we have an aircraft loaded that looks poorly anti-aliased, or some instruments that look extra pixel-y, then we need to use SGSSAA as described in the link, set with NI. Improvements in visual quality essentially mean decreases in performance, and that's all part of finding a personally satisfactory setup.

Currently there are some issues with supersampling in P3D/NVidia, for the best results read more about using NI for DX9, DX10, and DX11 here

thanks for that Steve.  Will have a look

Not many options for P3D Erich, so not a big deal really. All the best, Steve.

Not many options for P3D Erich, so not a big deal really. All the best, Steve.

Thanks Steve

One question from me....

I have noticed, what I can only describe as colour 'banding'.  When i look at the blue sky - or whatever colour the sky is, I notice distinct and hard banding of the shades of that colour (dark blue to light blue).  There was a setting within NI for FSX which which would eliminate this and make the shades of colour more diffuse and soft with no distinction of a 'border' as such.   It is also very evident at night.  Last night I noticed it when I had the 777 parked at OMDB under the floodlights.  The light scattering on the white fuselage had distinct bands of soft orange light and the NAV lights projected a somewhat hard edged light on the apron instead of a more scattered/diffuse light.

Is there any setting which I could use to eliminate this?  I hope I've expressed myself well enough for you to know what I'm on about.

Yes that's due to a lack of texture filtering, set Anisotropic in P3D x4,x8,x16.

Yes that's due to a lack of texture filtering, set Anisotropic in P3D x4,x8,x16.

I believe my Anisotropic is already set at x16.  I will try the NI settings you posted earlier and see if that makes any difference.