Sign in to follow this  
virginblue737

Should you use Nvidia inspector

Sounds odd, make sure to recreate the profile, that's normally the cause of strange results.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

In FSX we can switch the filtering off completely and see the very obvious banding in the sky, but there's always a degree of filtering in P3D, so it could be you have some other issue.

I stopped using NI after P3Dv2.3 and haven't really missed it.

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

I had all sorts of issues with stuttering when I first installed P3D

I ended up resetting the NI profile back to defaults as well as the Nvidia Control Panel.

All I have now is Vsync to Adaptive in CP and 2 X SGSS in NI. Nothing else is adjusted. I thought I could use the settings from FSX DX10 but it wasn't the case.

I found with P3D less tweaking definitely seems to be more

Richard

Richard

i7-12700K | Noctua NH-D15S Black Version | MSI Pro Z690 - A | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 | 1TB WD Blue NMVe (MSFS 2020) | 500 GB WD Black Gen 4 NVMe | 4TB WD Black Conventional | Fractal Design Torrent Case | Seasonic 1000W Gold Plus PSU | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Honeycomb Throttle | Airbus Side Stick | Virpil Rudder Pedals | Sony X90K 55 Inch TV |

mmBbmS1.png

In FSX we can switch the filtering off completely and see the very obvious banding in the sky, but there's always a degree of filtering in P3D, so it could be you have some other issue.

Hi Steve

I applied your NI settings last night.  A vast improvement visually all over.  In fact, its the best I've seen P3D on my system since i got V2.  However, my frame rates have tanked somewhat.  I have my limit set at 30.  When parked at OMDB last night, in the VC i was getting between 15-25 fps and my Track IR was very laggy indeed.   External view however, not so bad at all.   I'll test some more this evening and maybe turn down some of the settings in NI.   But nonetheless, I'm glad I've returned P3D to something somewhat resembling my FSX setup.

Now I'm thinking of  upgrading to 2.5 as I'm still on 2,4.  There seems to be alot of positive response about overall smoothness in 2,5.  

Erich, have you tested using unlimited frames ?

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

Erich, have you tested using unlimited frames ?

Hi Julian 

I haven't tried running with unlimited fps yet.  Hopefully that improves things somewhat.

I also installed EZDOK last night which I was very happy about, but couldn't imagine that it would be the cause of laggy TIR 

Also trying to find the sweet spot...but I'm not satisfied with the image quality of the suggested settings.

I have a very satisfactory result using the following:

------------------------------------

Prepar3D:

FXAA: On

MSAA: 4x

Texture Filtering: 4x

Texture Resolution: High 2048 x 2048

Vsync: On

Triple Buffering: On

Frame rate: Unlimited 

Nvidia Control Panel:

DSR: 2x, Smoothness: 20%

Maximum pre-rendered frames: 3

Multi-display/mixed-GPU acceleration: Single display performance mode

Texture filtering quality: High quality

Triple buffering: On

Vsync: Adaptive

Nvidia Inspector:

Default - no settings

Prepar3D.cfg

Default - no tweaks

These are not any "scientifically driven" kind of settings, but a trial and error attempt trying to find a smooth result.

Maybe it would be good to try using a frame rate limit inside P3D.

Try it and report back if you like...If we ever find that graphic's nirvana..we'll all be happy.

I am in a position that I am not sure if smoothness is more important than graphics. When you see what you can get with these settings in terms of image clarity, you think that you "saw the light" and anything else with some shimmers degrades the whole experience.

Simulators: Prepar3D v5 Academic | X-Plane 1111.50+ | DCS  World  Open Beta MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe | 
PC Hardware: Dell U3417W Intel i9 10900K | msi RTX 2080 Ti  Gaming X Trio msi MPG Z490 Gaming Edge Wifi | G.Skill 32GB 3600Mhz CL16 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus+860 EVO+850 EVO x 1TB, Western Digital Black Caviar Black x 6 TB Corsair RM1000i Corsair H115i Platinum Fractal Design Define S2 Gunmetal |
Flight Controls: Fulcrum One Yoke Virpil VPC WarBRD Base Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM Grip, Thrustmaster Warthog+F/A-18C Grip Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals | Virtual Fly TQ6+Throttle Quadrant | Sismo B737 Max Gear Lever | TrackIR 5Monsterteck Desk Mounts |
My fleet catalog: Link                                                                                                                                                       

Also trying to find the sweet spot...but I'm not satisfied with the image quality of the suggested settings.

I have a very satisfactory result using the following:

Prepar3D:

FXAA: On

MSAA: 4x

Texture Filtering: 4x

Texture Resolution: High 2048 x 2048

Vsync: On

Triple Buffering: On

Frame rate: Unlimited 

Nvidia Control Panel:

DSR: 2x, Smoothness: 20%

Maximum pre-rendered frames: 3

Multi-display/mixed-GPU acceleration: Single display performance mode

Texture filtering quality: High quality

Triple buffering: On

Vsync: Adaptive

Nvidia Inspector:

Default - no settings

Prepar3D.cfg

Default - no tweaks

These are not any "scientifically driven" kind of settings, but a trial and error attempt trying to find a smooth result.

Maybe it would be good to try using a frame rate limit inside P3D.

Try it and report back if you like...If we ever find that graphic's nirvana..we'll all be happy.

I am in a position that I am not sure if smoothness is more important than graphics. When you see what you can get with these settings in terms of image clarity, you think that you "saw the light" and every else with some shimmers degrades the whole experience.

Ifikratis

Thanks.  The Nvidia Control panel settings you mention...are those your settings under the 'Global' profile or a specific P3D.exe profile

Ifikratis

Thanks.  The Nvidia Control panel settings you mention...are those your settings under the 'Global' profile or a specific P3D.exe profile

Its the 'Global' profile...if you like you can test setting them on the specific P3D.exe instead (I'm not home right now to test).

Simulators: Prepar3D v5 Academic | X-Plane 1111.50+ | DCS  World  Open Beta MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe | 
PC Hardware: Dell U3417W Intel i9 10900K | msi RTX 2080 Ti  Gaming X Trio msi MPG Z490 Gaming Edge Wifi | G.Skill 32GB 3600Mhz CL16 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus+860 EVO+850 EVO x 1TB, Western Digital Black Caviar Black x 6 TB Corsair RM1000i Corsair H115i Platinum Fractal Design Define S2 Gunmetal |
Flight Controls: Fulcrum One Yoke Virpil VPC WarBRD Base Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM Grip, Thrustmaster Warthog+F/A-18C Grip Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals | Virtual Fly TQ6+Throttle Quadrant | Sismo B737 Max Gear Lever | TrackIR 5Monsterteck Desk Mounts |
My fleet catalog: Link                                                                                                                                                       

For my setup of 1920x1080, I found no advantage setting DSR 2x or higher, vs, simply setting NI SGSS matching my internal  P3D MSAA setting. My current setting of MSAA 4x internal and 4xSGSS in NI renders the best visual to performance cost ratio.

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

the best I've seen P3D on my system since i got V2.  However, my frame rates have tanked somewhat

That's the catch!  :excl: :mellow:

Running the fixed fps in P3D (and FSX) is not a simple frame rate limit, like the setting in NI or an external limiter. Fixed fps in-sim invokes D3D look ahead frames. Look ahead frames, or pre-rendering, adds an initial cost to the maximum frame rate. This is often mistaken for a bug, so although we may see 60fps with Unlimited setting, we find we can only lock at 30 to 40 - because of the cost of look ahead pre-rendering. We can set the look ahead frames to 1 in CP or NI to reduce it (default 3), but is still not exactly the same as Unlimited. With pre-rendering some other work is done in our favour, so that the GPU can apply new detail in a smoother fashion. We should be able to get a smoother overall result by setting the in-sim fixed fps setting, (and matching that with NI fps limit if the setting allows), but we lose out on high fps. :excl: :mellow: 

I have only set performance to max (instead of adaptive) in the NI and thats it. No other tweaks at all. (is aero a tweak B) ?)

I will do a video in the NGX like the one in the 777 in KLAX. I was just amazed again last night in both KLAX and MMMX 

This is really a dream come true .These last weeks have been the best in simulation inviroment 

Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

I seems that there is just as much hacking and fumbling about with P3D as there was with FSX to achieve a certain result - with no guaranteed result at all.     Appreciative of all advice though.  I'd be at a loss otherwise.