Sign in to follow this  
FLAPS15

An Honest Opinion Re P3D

+1 for prepar3d ;) 

L'importante non è stabilire se uno ha paura o meno, è saper convivere con la propria paura e non farsi condizionare dalla stessa. Ecco, il coraggio è questo, altrimenti non è più coraggio ma incoscienza.

All I can say is, start here, and tweak until you are stable. Don't forget the Nvidia settings...

http://www.robainscough.com/Prepar3D_Settings_2.html

My P3D2.5 runs beautifully with Rob's "high" settings in full-fat Orbx with Carabeo/A2A/RealAir + REX/ASN. Sometimes my fps dips into the teens, but I'm still smooth. I am running a i73930/GTX680.

Thanks Rob!!!!!

Nobody is completely honest.  Not even to themselves.  Brains just don't work that way.  So just be nice.  Or, your version of it.

No disrespect Rob, but you're talking about the OP pre-judging? ..... there's a stack of pre-judgements in your post above.   I didn't realized requests for advice had to be so qualified and politically correct!

Craig, there is no PC requirement so long as you keep within the ToS of AVSIM.  

I'm just trying to help the OP get possible solutions to his issues with P3D ... one way to get more helpful answers is to not immediately assume someone is going to provide a dis-honest opinion -- why qualify with "honest opinion"?  Reading the original thread the OP has an issue with stutters in P3D which IMHO isn't related to the OP's Title at all ... perhaps a title more suited to OP's desires would bring more helpful suggestions and even a possible solution ... "unable to resolve stutters in P3D".

My "post" judgement was applied AFTER the OP's post and based entirely on that post -- so yes, people are judged on what they post -- just as I, you, anyone gets judged -- it's what we humans do.  What stack of "Pre-judgements" are you referring to?

Cheers, Rob. 

Honest opinion? It's amazing.  

Dishonest opinion? It's crap.

Seriously though, if you need help with stutters just ask as there are many causes and many solutions.  The one I'm most familiar with is processor over-usage due to background apps, livestreams, etc. running along side my sim or the dreaded "Aggressive Scenery Slider Syndrome" (ASSS for short) :lol: .  When my processor gets to 100% (not core 0 but entire processor) I start to get hitches.

Ryan

I have to drop texture resolution to 1m (yes it's not as clear and pretty) to run without stutters in nice payware planes.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Two changes made my P3Dv2.5 work very well for me:  set AffinityMask correctly, mine is at 14, and set the FIBER_FRAME_FRACTION=0.01.  Before these two changes I also have stutters in turns.  I just rebought my PMDG 777 amd 737 licenses.  FSX is gone from my system, I can no longer use a bunch of add-ons because the developers don't want to make them compatible nor provide a P3D version, but I am fine with that because in P3D, I have correct shadow, no autogen poping etc.  There is a cost : you will loose add-ons but the benefits also cannot be ignored.  Good luck.

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

The Fiber Frame Fraction tweak was what was causing a lot of my stutters. Deleted it from my .cfg and the sim smoothed out significantly. 

This was using PMDG's 777 and various large addon airports, like FSDT's KLAX, and T2G's VHHH.

EDIT: To be specific, it was setting it at 0.01 that messed up my sim with stutters.. 0.33 was a good value and was relatively smooth. Deleting the entry completely was the smoothest result, for me.

Aamir Thacker

I have found that stutters can be had and taken care of by paying attention to your fps slider - for me heavy hitters such as CS777 - PMDG777 need to have slider at unlimited - for small GA aircraft you have to search for the non-stutter until you find it and can take some time for instance many Carenado aircraft run at 48 fps and stutters are gone try it you will see what I mean - that 48fps is not written in stone that number will vary depending on which aircraft you are using

Rich Sennett

I have found that stutters can be had and taken care of by paying attention to your fps slider 

I did not know that, thanks for the heads-up. Will look at that.

If you see a large fps variance (value on percentage next to low high avg) you'll have stutters too.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I have my slider locked at 20fps....it gives my modest rig plenty of time to load scenery, clouds, etc and not push to give me fps.....my sim is smooth as glass, as others have said, fps is not the be all and end all, find a setting that gives you good amount of texture loading and smoothness, forget about going for max fps.

I did not know that, thanks for the heads-up. Will look at that.

Aaron works for me - good luck

Rich Sennett

The Fiber Frame Fraction tweak was what was causing a lot of my stutters. Deleted it from my .cfg and the sim smoothed out significantly.

This was using PMDG's 777 and various large addon airports, like FSDT's KLAX, and T2G's VHHH.

EDIT: To be specific, it was setting it at 0.01 that messed up my sim with stutters.. 0.33 was a good value and was relatively smooth. Deleting the entry completely was the smoothest result, for me.

Wait, are you saying LM default value is .01?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

Default is 0.33.

Every system will be different, as I started to load up my add-ons on my new build I would do a time between frame variance for each add-on ... use Fraps for logging only.  

I my case I discovered the stutter source, it was two Orbx Vector settings:

Water Features | Frozen Surface (winter only) - uncheck

Various Features | Wetlands (swamps, marshes) - uncheck

With these unchecked I was able to run MSAA 8X and bump up textures to 2048.  I used Virtuali (KDEN) in the PMDG 737 and ASN as my test scenario (FTX Global + Vector + REX).

Cheers, Rob.