Sign in to follow this  
FLAPS15

An Honest Opinion Re P3D

I my case I discovered the stutter source, it was two Orbx Vector settings:

Water Features | Frozen Surface (winter only) - uncheck

Various Features | Wetlands (swamps, marshes) - uncheck

Spot on Rob - I  noticed stutters after loading vector and libraries which is why I use UTX V2 now no stutters and I am thinking most are using vector which could be the culprit - no stutters with vector and Europe lc not installed - mainly Europe lc I noticed a performance hit - no stutters now - people may want to pay attention to these two addons

Rich Sennett

Wait, are you saying LM default value is .01?

No, I was saying that I set it to .01 based off a YouTuber's recommendations. Turns out, it's best if I'd just left it alone, because 0.33 is the smoothest, and therefore, I simply deleted the entry, as I had no need for it :)

Aamir Thacker

Thank you everybody for your comments.

There is a lot to take on board, I think the best thing for me which is overdue is a complete re install on Windows and then a fresh install of a months trial of P3d then see how it all pans out.

Sorry if my title ruffled any feathers...it was not meant to being the older generation the Brian and fingers do not always play well together!

Thank you

Spot on Rob - I  noticed stutters after loading vector and libraries which is why I use UTX V2 now no stutters and I am thinking most are using vector which could be the culprit - no stutters with vector and Europe lc not installed - mainly Europe lc I noticed a performance hit - no stutters now - people may want to pay attention to these two addons

Hi Richard

I';m thinking I might give this a try.  I loved UTX in FSX.  Not sure if Orbx Vector/LC is my culprit for adding to poor lag or not but my sim is very laggy - especially noticeable at large airports (obviously).  But wondering whether removing Orbx Vector and LC might help somewhat

no stutters with vector and Europe lc not installed

I don't see how OpenLC Europe, being only landclass and textures, can be a big hit on performance. But Vector certainly is. It consumes a lot of VAS if all options are selected and I also have the impression (but no proof) that it causes stutters. The more I turn down the settings in Vector, the better the smoothness of the sim. Overall, I'm not very impressed with Vector. This is by far the worst product from Orbx. On the other hand, you need some kind of vector add-on (e.g. because default coastlines and rivers are a mess) and I do not own a UTX product. UTX for me is just too expensive. But that's my opinion...

i7-10700K@5.0GHz ∣ Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z490-E Gaming ∣ 32Gb@3600MHz ∣ AMD Radeon 6900 XT

I use UTX V2 now no stutters

hmm, strange how the sim acts differently per sw/hw.  For me using UTX in FSX was the stutters source, so I have not moved up to UTX 2.0 yet, despite it being now compatible with P3D.  I bought Vector on sale last Christmas because it covers the entire planet, so far no issue.  I also recently tested vector in FSX as well and UTX just to see, UTX caused stutters for me, and vector was fine.

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

The comments on Vector are true.

The comments on .01 are very strange. Make no since at all.

The default .3 is giving 1/3 of every second to load texture, so you "should" get better texture loading, in fsx you sure need .3.

Now if you run .01 your saying I don't want you to give any time to loading texture, giving me 99.99% to the sim running the sim with out the burden to load textures.

So saying giving the sim 2/3  of every second and saying I get no stutters but with .01 is giving me stutters is very odd thing to say, this only make sense running unlimited fps.

Should 0.01 work in P3D=hell no, but it does  :smile:

Anyway.....

Each to there own.

Vector 90% turned OFF

0.01 FTW

30 fps locked(never drops below), no V-Sync(on you need tri buffer and 33)

Rex 512 DXT soft clouds. 

ASN cloud draw upper limit 140 max.

P3D cloud cover MAX

What ever works for you in the end  :smile:

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

The comments on Vector are true.
The comments on .01 are very strange. Make no since at all.

The default .3 is giving 1/3 of every second to load texture, so you "should" get better texture loading, in fsx you sure need .3.
Now if you run .01 your saying I don't want you to give any time to loading texture, giving me 99.99% to the sim running the sim with out the burden to load textures.
So saying giving the sim 2/3  of every second and saying I get no stutters but with .01 is giving me stutters is very odd thing to say, this only make sense running unlimited fps.

Anyway.....
Each to there own.

Just spent an hour testing. Turns out, 0.01 or not didn't make any difference after I turned on V-Sync, Triple Buff, and set frames on unlimited, sim is now extremely smooth at heavy addon airports and the PMDG T7.

Aamir Thacker

UTX V2 is vector and landclass - so no need for separate programs

For me (FTX Global - FSGenesis - UTX V2) = good to go 

Rich Sennett

Just spent an hour testing. Turns out, 0.01 or not didn't make any difference after I turned on V-Sync, Triple Buff, and set frames on unlimited, sim is now extremely smooth at heavy addon airports and the PMDG T7.

Hmm I thought as much.

Just hope someone new to P3D did not think "O no" better not use .01 after read all your comments.

Your really need to lock frames with V-Sync! 

Glad your now sorted.

I had to run V-Sync and 33 loacked on last PC now I dont need it, strange things these PC's

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

Your really need to lock frames with V-Sync!

The whole thing around locked/unlocked frames and vsync on/off and triple buffers on/off is the biggest mystery to me in Prepar3D. Some say you must run unlimited to get the least stutters, others are sure that locking frames around 30 is the best. I personally use VSync on, Triple buffers on and unlimited frames. That works best for me as long as the add-ons used produce low fps variance (e.g. the PMDG aircraft stay nicely around 25-30 fps or the A2A aircraft which stay nicely around 60 fps). The only exception are aircraft like the Aerosoft Airbus which tend to produce highly fluctuating fps. On my system, fps wildly bounce back and forth between 30 and 50+ fps in the Aerosoft Airbus. In these cases, it seems to be best to "cut off" the high fps by introducing a frame limit well above 30 fps. I mostly use 40 or 45 fps. This takes out those peaks to 50+ fps and seems to help with the smoothness. But in the end, it is all still a mystery and takes a lot of experementing to find the best settings for each individual system...

Maybe it would be worth to start a new topic to gather findings in this regard...

i7-10700K@5.0GHz ∣ Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z490-E Gaming ∣ 32Gb@3600MHz ∣ AMD Radeon 6900 XT

Its a good topic that's for sure.

I think its a CPU-GPU thing and how good the PC works its components together. That I think might be why VSync ON or OFF work for others and makes no difference to others.

As for Locked and unlocked. Unlocked simple means the sim is working flat out to give the most it can, but normaly at the cost of texture loading(FSX more so) But personly I've never like the idea even if I like the extra fps.

I think running Locked and more so in P3D gives the sim head room, So it can deal with incoming things it needs to do and unlimited cannnot cope with that, perfect e.g of that is the Aerosoft Airbus finding above, once you lock the sim becomes far more stable.

Its down to the PC and what people can see and cannot see. Users with EZDOC can see fps loss far more than people who don't use it. You really do need 30fps with EZDOC. My way of thinking is if the sim can give me 30fps anything extra the sim can have back to give it headroom for what ever task it needs it for.

I have struggled with locking the frames at any level and getting good results as I do in FSX DX10.

Currently I have Vsync in control panel set to Adaptive, in P3D Vsync - On, Triple buffering - off and frames unlimited. This seems to give the smoothest result on my system.

I agree the Airbus fps rate varies way more than anything else. I just got the NGX and it is far more stable.

If I were to try locking frames again should I lock the frames to say 33 in inspector & P3D? Also should the vsync be set to 1/2 refresh rate in inspector? I am sure I tried that before and it didn't yield smooth results

Richard

Richard

i7-12700K | Noctua NH-D15S Black Version | MSI Pro Z690 - A | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 | 1TB WD Blue NMVe (MSFS 2020) | 500 GB WD Black Gen 4 NVMe | 4TB WD Black Conventional | Fractal Design Torrent Case | Seasonic 1000W Gold Plus PSU | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Honeycomb Throttle | Airbus Side Stick | Virpil Rudder Pedals | Sony X90K 55 Inch TV |

mmBbmS1.png

UTX V2 is vector and landclass - so no need for separate programs

Do you know if UTX V2 has any entries in DLL.XML and EXE.XML?  Obviously the benefit to Vector is that it integrates with Orbx sceneries and airports.  But how does UTX V2 deal with airport elevation issues from all 3rd party airports?  Vector lets you auto configure based on entries in the scenery.cfg and make exceptions, etc. etc.  ... does UTX V2? 

But Vector certainly is. It consumes a lot of VAS if all options are selected and I also have the impression (but no proof) that it causes stutters.

It was definitely a source of stutters for me, took me a while to find the Vector combination that didn't stutter.

n P3D Vsync - On, Triple buffering - off and frames unlimited. This seems to give the smoothest result on my system.

This is what I use but my monitor operates at 30 Hz ... for the most part this will work well for any area any aircraft, however with extreme weather conditions produced by ASN I will see FPS drop below 30 ... the easiest "in flight" cure is to turn my 8X MSAA down to 2X and/or turn off FXAA ... this will make a good FPS improvement when flying thru heavy thick cloud cover (which I think this is what that Fiber Accelerator product does for you on the fly -- I just do this manually when needed).

If you want to go the locking frames route, the best results will come if you lock 1-2 FPS below your worst case FPS ... this will provide more consistent time between frames which is where "smooth" comes from.  If it's below your monitors refresh rate then VSync and Triple buffering will be no benefit.

Cheers, Rob.

Do you know if UTX V2 has any entries in DLL.XML and EXE.XML?  Obviously the benefit to Vector is that it integrates with Orbx sceneries and airports.  But how does UTX V2 deal with airport elevation issues from all 3rd party airports?  Vector lets you auto configure based on entries in the scenery.cfg and make exceptions, etc. etc.  ... does UTX V2? 

I dont know Rob as I never checked it as it was compatible with the version of P3D at the time - as for elevation issues not sure if this is even an issue with UTX V2 product - I have never seen it in my travels but thats not to say it doesn't have elevation issues ?  after I get a working version in P3D 2.5 all patches I will post some screenshots - its an amazing product and as stated I have seen no decent pics nor videos of this product to show you right now

Rich Sennett