Sign in to follow this  
FLAPS15

An Honest Opinion Re P3D

Rob - UTX makes no entries in DLL.XML or EXE.XML. It has an exclusions file. I'm still adjusting the scenery layers to see what looks best so I have seen a few elevation issues and trees on taxiway but cannot really point at UTX.

Allen is very responsive so if there are anomalies, he will get on them ASAP.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Banging away on all 6 of my sub-cores with FFT @ .01, FPS locked at 33 with V-Sync on and triple buffer = TOTAL WIN.

I have struggled since my days for FSX to get a stutter free moderate to high level of detailed simulation running and I finally achieved.   I did my first full flight on the setup coming out of an updated Salt Lake City into the payway Las Vegas airport with 30% AI traffic on and it was smooth as glass except for one hiccup when KLAS loaded into view but that was because that was my first time to go there with the new shader cache so it needed to run all those shader calculations.   Apart from that, butter smooth with frames get to 28 at the low point.   I am stupid levels of happy now with P3D and the 737NGX.  *dances*

100454.png
Captain K-Man FlightBlog Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCulqmz0zmIMuAzJvDAZPkWQ  //  Streaming on YouTube most Wednesdays and Fridays @ 6pm CST

Brian Navy

Good thread,  interesting reading,  learning a lot as i go on. 

I am stupid levels of happy now with P3D and the 737NGX.  *dances*

:lol: That gave me a laugh. 

Default is 0.33.

Every system will be different, as I started to load up my add-ons on my new build I would do a time between frame variance for each add-on ... use Fraps for logging only.  

I my case I discovered the stutter source, it was two Orbx Vector settings:

Water Features | Frozen Surface (winter only) - uncheck

Various Features | Wetlands (swamps, marshes) - uncheck

With these unchecked I was able to run MSAA 8X and bump up textures to 2048.  I used Virtuali (KDEN) in the PMDG 737 and ASN as my test scenario (FTX Global + Vector + REX).

Cheers, Rob.

Actually that is correct Rob with vector I'm only using the beaches and

highways / bridges / underlays and primary roads only underlays the rest is disabled...

Save a huge amount of vas and the product has some performance issues ;-)

André

This is what I settled on for Vector settings: 

d94722017bb2de18c4b1fa16fbb8352f.jpg

13c7d242fcec7ed4c12e00526e3f844b.jpg

277a07d5a926e3c552460086de81e33e.jpg

Cheers, Rob.

Thanks for the info, Rob! I have even disabled all traffic and tunnel exits as well as the powerlines. As I mainly fly tubeliners the main purpose of Vector is to give me proper coastlines and rivers anyway...

i7-10700K@5.0GHz ∣ Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z490-E Gaming ∣ 32Gb@3600MHz ∣ AMD Radeon 6900 XT

But in order to get an understanding of how you define stutters, download this video I made here from a BASE v2.5 install (no add-ons): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bw0Q-fAfEZwyMjBza1F0elpRR0E/view?usp=sharing  (warning: it's 1GB download).  The reason I say download and not watch via YouTube is to remove the possibility of slow ISP, and/or slow YouTube servers, and/or browser video playback issues.  Key is to download and playback the file local via Windows Media player.

How you respond to that download video will be key before proceeding with suggestions.

Cheers, Rob.

277a07d5a926e3c552460086de81e33e.jpg

Cheers, Rob.

Rob, thanks for posting that video.  First time I have seen a P3D video where I could download it and play in full screen in HD.  The visuals are spectacular...the water, clarity of the terrain in front of the aircraft, etc.  Yes there are some slight stutters when you are looking out of the side of the aircraft and in spot view but you are also zipping along there not quite sure how fast....certainly no worse than FSX.  Out of the front, no such issue.  I would really love it if you would upload the same video once you have your ORBX scenery installed and also so one with PMDG (if you have it).

Second, with regard to unchecking the Wetlands in Vector is this simply your personal preference or is there a big performance hit when having that checked.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

Second, with regard to unchecking the Wetlands in Vector is this simply your personal preference or is there a big performance hit when having that checked.

It's hard to describe those settings as a performance hit ... on my setup, they seem to just cause long frames (aka stutters).  I'm not really sure why those two settings cause this issue on system.

Yes there were a few slight stutters in the video, but I'm not convinced they were present in my actual flying experience ... what I mean by that is the nVidia on-chip video encoder may have introduce some skipped frames and/or during the transfer to my SSD.  To remove that potential issue from the recording equation, I would need to record the video out onto another PC as that would put no drain on the GPU or CPU subsystems that record the data to file on my SSD.  

On a side note: Black Magic Designs have released an affordable 4K HDMI based capture card (only $200) which I plan to use in the future and have another PC do all the recording work and stop using ShadowPlay.  Don't get me wrong, ShadowPlay is not bad at all ... and it's free.

I would really love it if you would upload the same video once you have your ORBX scenery installed and also so one with PMDG (if you have it).

I just posted this in another thread, but will share again here (it has pretty much everything I would normally use for a flight including TrackIR):

A few stutters here and there and 4 FPS hit when looking at KDEN from side (ASN weather,  cloud cover thickens later in the flight) ... I'm uploading the native video right now so you can download and view/playback locally if you desire (warning another 1.3GB file) ... will provide link as soon as it's done.

Links to graphics settings used are in the video description/info.

Cheers, Rob.

Awesome video Rob - nice to see a quality video of NGX in P3D

Rich Sennett

I think all the quality is in the aircraft paint work :)

Cheers, Rob. 

Thanks for the link and kudos Buddy - much appreciated - Looks like your a 737 pilot now :)

Rich Sennett

Looks like your a 737 pilot now

I have much to learn ... that's why I enjoy simulations.  Biggest problem is that I have many high quality aircraft and just not enough time to fly them all and learn them all ... but what a great position to be in, never a dull moment.

Cheers, Rob.

Rob, you'll like BMD's card. I have an earlier HD model plus a portable HDMI-based recorder that I used when I was doing video work.

Rob, you'll like BMD's card.

Good to know Jay ... price is very reasonable.

Cheers, Rob.

I think all the quality is in the aircraft paint work :)

Very nice livery Richard.

Great video, Cool set up at the start Rob, so many buttons