Sign in to follow this  
Capt Speirs

Seriously thinking of switching to P3D v2.5 from FSX, but!

The only thing that has me holding back is having to repurchase all those add-ons again, or do I? Are there any add-ons that offer discounts if you own a previous version? I am just getting tired of tweaking the old girl to just fly occasionally, and I mean occasionally because so much time is spent messing with her.

Every developer has its own ideas about this. It goes from Orbx who charges you nothing at all to PMDG who charges you the full amount (or more). So check the sites of the addons you'd like to use in P3D! There is no easy answer to this.

The easier way to approach this is to tell us what add ons you use, and we can tell you if there are any that will cause a problem.  Though as Jeroen says, PMDG are the only ones with significant re-purchase cost (afaik), and many are zero cost to transfer.

Every developer has its own ideas about this. It goes from Orbx who charges you nothing at all to PMDG who charges you the full amount (or more). So check the sites of the addons you'd like to use in P3D! There is no easy answer to this.

Thank you for taking the time to answer, I was afraid of that. I have done some research and it seems most will install without repurchasing. The PMDG pricing is what makes me hesitant to switch. I would have to pay hundreds for my PMDG hangar in P3D to duplicate what I have already. I really wish PMDG would consider a discount to those already in possession of the same aircraft.

I just switched last month and the majority of what I spent was on PMDG 777 and 737 packages. Most everything else was minor. 

Noah Bryant

Before switching to P3D read this:

Last week I sent an email to licensing department which read.
After upgrading my computer, P3d activation does not work and I have lost my email invoice when I had a major hard drive crash a few months ago.
They replied.
We have resent you your license activation information in a separate email. Please let us know if you need any further assistance.
Good now I am all set. I tried to activate and got an error message Activation Failed Code 8. grrrrr

So I sent back another email and this was there reply.
Please ensure you are properly connected to the internet and you don’t have strong firewalls that could be blocking the activation process!

Oh ok I will do that. grrrr, again same error code.

So again I sent back another email and this time they replied.
Hello, We understand this may be frustrating. You may need to completely uninstall and reinstall the software. This is rarely an issue but almost all issues are solved through this method.
From our side, it does not appear that you are having any issues activating. You should also look on our support forums. There are plenty of helpful responses on there to guide you to a solution.

What kind of response is that? really. I find this unprofessional . I paid for the software and it does not work.
Hmmm Ok then, since I had purchase version 1 before 2 I decided to re-install it.
Presto version 1 is activated and working. So why is version 2 not activating? grrrr.
My god you guys built jets and other hi-tech equipments and can’t even resolve a simple activation code.

Mike

My problem still not solve yet and they do not seem to care. Further just remember if you purchase addons fot P3D they will not work if you cannot activate it. Also when they update there version you need to re-install everything including your addons.

Right now I am going back to FSX SE.

PMDG are the only ones with significant re-purchase cost (afaik), and many are zero cost to transfer.

Add Ifly 737 to the list. They gave a discount to fsx users that lasted about 10 days, which at the time, most of us missed. 79 bucks i think. No thank you lol I was going to switch to P3D during that time, but when I found out the pricing policy, I decided to wait and get P3D once PMDG were on board. Even though I had to pay again, they were up front about it.

My problem still not solve yet and they do not seem to care

Good post hijack there Mike

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

My problem still not solve yet and they do not seem to care. (...) Also when they update there version you need to re-install everything including your addons.

Although this obviously sucks big time, you seem to be the only one who is having this problem, so it's not a real reason to not get P3D... And only version 2.5 required a complete reinstall: the next updates won't, so that's also not a real issue. Besides, some people uninstalled P3D 2.4 while keeping their add ons in place and then reinstalled P3D 2.5 and quite a few add ons simply worked right away. I personally don't mind reinstalling everything: I even reinstalled my OS for 2.5. Nothing beats a fresh OS every few months. ;)

Your missing the point J Van E.

The LM tech support does not seem to care about your problem. Let put it this way if you buy a brand new vehicle at a dealership and you have warranty issues do they tell you to go and see a local garage?

When tech support tell you go to there forum to find answers I think this is not the way to serve a paying customer.

Furthermore did you know that Orbx FTX warn people not to install ver. 2.5 until a patch was out.

How can LM let a new version out without having a featured developer like Orbx FTX come out with a patch prior to a new P3d update.

Furthermore go see there forum you will see that I am not the only one with activation problems.

I've lost count of the times I had to install P3D and if you follow the sticky, you get 0 issues.

Sorry that you've had problems with the activation,but I've had only one and they were happy to assist.

(that was when I was changing OS back from Win 8.1 -> 7 again).

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

From what I'm reading above, I Don't fully understand how you can lose the email LM sends you? If you have a major computer crash your emails are still safe as they are kept on a third party server. I can understand that if your attempting to reinstall P3D you have to deactivate your liscense (since v2.0) by uninstalling the software and this of course cannot be done if you have a major crash. I Always keep a backup on two drives and really important information I email to myself so that I can access it anywhere.

Michelh, I'm sorry to hear your having issues. I've only had to contact LM once, that was when I was I was trying to activate my license and it failed due to their servers being down. It was clear they were, as I couldnt even access my account at the time but sent them an email anyway, to see how quickly they responded. They responded within a few hours.

Any large company cannot provide individual handholding for every user. The product intalls and activates fine on the overwhelming majority of systems. Some people do have issues. that is the reason behind support forums and forums like this one at Avsim.

Rather than complain about lack of support, you might try asking if anyone has had the issue and how they resolved it.

Firewall, permissions, corrupt downloads, etc all can contribute to not being able to activate.

Post your system specs etc, and the EXACT steps taken to resolve the issue and maybe someone will be able to help.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Hello Ric (Capt.)

With your specs. you should have little trouble in P3D.

I have removed FSX and am now only using X-Plane and P3D 2.5

I've jumped completely on board now that PMDG have joined the fray

The only real drawback as far as I can see is the frequent updates which means that you may have to install from time to time - for me patches never worked and I seemed to clean install more than patch.

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

Your missing the point J Van E.

The LM tech support does not seem to care about your problem. Let put it this way if you buy a brand new vehicle at a dealership and you have warranty issues do they tell you to go and see a local garage?

When tech support tell you go to there forum to find answers I think this is not the way to serve a paying customer.

Furthermore did you know that Orbx FTX warn people not to install ver. 2.5 until a patch was out.

How can LM let a new version out without having a featured developer like Orbx FTX come out with a patch prior to a new P3d update.

Furthermore go see there forum you will see that I am not the only one with activation problems.

I understand your frustration but your characterization of the LM P3D team is innacurate. First of all, the P3D team consists only of a few guys, so to suggest P3D equals the entire LM developmental and technical support world is just wrong. Secondly, Orbx was well aware of the issues the new v2.5 created during beta testing. Those issues weren't a major roadblock but took time to fix which is why JV cautioned everyone to wait. That fix was released about 1 week after release. LM is not in the business of testing every sim addon in P3D, which is why almost every major developer is a beta tester. Rest assured, giving the limited manpower of the P3D team, their top priority is to develop the software and get it out to their commercial customers. The sim community, while not their priority, is invaluable to the continued development of P3D, you can be assured, but understand where their priority lies.

That being said, to the OP, I highly recommend P3D. I love it.